IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?
1/10/12, 1:25 PM   #11
Re: Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?
TQ29m

My driver prefers the "improved Hutchins" device, with his helmet support, it is a hassle, to put on, but some of the crashes he's been in, I doubt he'd want anything else, and he has no trouble getting out, it isn't necessary to undo the helmet retention, just pull the belt lever, and exit. I just don't care for the H & N designs, allows too much head/helmet movement to suit me, I've seen guys that have them so loose, it looks like they can almost look over their shoulder, just lucky I guess. Bob!

1/10/12, 3:17 PM   #12
racecrzy

It looks like the Defnder is not made anymore and I am having a hard time finding the Hutchens or D-Cel anywhere, all I find are Hans and the Hybrid line from Simpson. If the Hutchens and D-Cel still made could someone direct me where to find them? Thanks for all the info.

1/10/12, 3:52 PM   #13
McInturff Racing

Having just done this last year for myself I am going to chime in my 2 cents. I may not be 100% correct, this is just my interpretation of the data I have found. First, the D-cell and original Hutchens- best I could find, they are no longer being produced. You may be able to find some "NOS" from someone but it is tough. I spent considerable time trying to track down a new one. On top of this, I am fairly certain they no longer meet current SFI certification criteria. I did find an article talking about how the Hutchens was then revised to the "Hutchens 2" or "Improved Hutchens". Bits and pieces of info led me to the conclusion that the Safety Solutions Hybrid and associated products are the Hutchens rebranded due to sold rights\patents and corporate restructuring. This is the product I ended up going with due to the fact that it mixes (IE the name "Hybrid") the "old" Hutchens or D-cel webbing based system and the HANS type system. It has the rigid plate held in place by the belts for the frontal impact safety and the webbing harness around the body to help with side impacts like the Hutchens 1 and the D-Cel (it buckles around the chest and then hooks into the lap belt assembly via 2 steel rings like arm restraints to keep you anchored). It is a bit of a pain to get hooked to the helmt each time you get in the car, but your crew should be able to do it no problem in about 30 seconds. The quick release tethers are nice (2 strings velcro to the chin of your helmet and all you do is pull them to release) making for easier helmet removal. The unit is fairly low profile and gives me no issue getting out of my car fast (I'm one of those wierdos who actually practices speed bails from my car to make sure none of my gear is going to hang up). Overall I am very happy with the Hybrid Pro and the only wreck I had last year (fairly decent rollover) left me with zero neck pain. The folks at Safety Solutions were great about helping me with sizing, picking the right model for my type of racing and budget and every other question I threw their way. As for the DfeNdr, it is my understanding that it is no longer available for retail purchase.

1/10/12, 4:36 PM   #14
Quantrill

Here is dfenders web site. They are still being made

http://www.defnderneckbrace.com/defndertestimonials.html

Posted via Mobile Device

1/10/12, 5:11 PM   #15
McInturff Racing

Taken directly from their home page: The defNder is no longer being manufactured. Please see update on right side. We will continue to service the product. You may order Parts/Accessories Below.

If it is an avenue you want to pursue (and I have heard they are a great product from lots of people) I would try to track one down fast. At least they still sell servicing parts and plan to "recertify" the product at the end of the 5 year period.

1/10/12, 6:43 PM   #16
treecitytornado

I wear a Hybrid Pro now and love it! I also wore a R3 and went through a bad one at the Action Track and was ok! Both were made by Safety Solutions,but Simpson now owns all of the rights to produce those products.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/10/12, 8:25 PM   #17
racecrzy

Yep, Defnder said under the FAQ's no longer made, I will see if one can be found but won't hold my breath. Looks like one of the Hybrids is the answer just not sure which one yet. I will call Simpson about fitment and attatchments and go from there. Thanks guys for the input it helped alot.

1/10/12, 8:33 PM   #18
TQ29m

Ck with Speedy Bill, Speedway motors, I saw an ad they had posted, they had them on sale! Bob!

1/10/12, 9:02 PM   #19
treecitytornado

Im not sure where you are from, but there is a Simpson Store in Brownsburg that could take care of you tomorrow.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best Choice for Head and Neck Restraint?