IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get into open wheel
11/27/18, 10:41 AM   #21
Re: Looking to get into open wheel
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
That would answer all your prayers, and questions, just one, HOW MUCH!
If you have to ask....................

5 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, mc/rider, racenut69, TQ29m, TQ97
11/28/18, 8:25 AM   #22
Meeker

I posted a very similar post about a year ago. After a season getting ready, this is what I've learned. All this is coming from a guy that has Zero open wheel experience but racing experience.

1. Forget the 305 deal. Go 410 non-wing right off the rip. The 305 guys will tell you the same thing, just ask.
2. If you think you might win something quickly, you're not. These guys are bad ass and make it look easy. It's extremely difficult.
3. Buy everything used in the beginning. You will tear stuff up, might as well tear used stuff up.
4. ** Spend a year, yes, a whole season following one team or multiple teams. Get to know them. Start off being the guy who cleans the mud off the car for a while. Be humble and clean the mud off. Watch and learn. If you're mechanically inclined, you'll start doing other things. Air pressure, stagger, spacers, putting new tires on wheels, fuel ect.... What I found out this last year is that it is so important to learn HOW to run a team at the track. What goes where and why. There's reasons why the toolbox is where it is. Now, different teams do it different, but if I were you, and I was, go find you a USAC team you can follow around. They're the pros. You will find there's very little wasted movement in the pits. Then, find you a local team and follow them around for a while. Notice the difference. Not that one is better than the other, but one is more efficient. Go every weekend somewhere to race. Go say Hi to everyone. Most are super friendly. Fill up your cell phone with numbers. So, I would forget about driving a car for a year and spend a year learning how to race first. If after a year you still want to race, go start writing checks and using all those numbers you collected the past year. Make no mistake, owning a part time sprint car team and competing is a full time job.

Don't know if this helps, but this is my experience this past year doing exactly what I just suggested you do.

11/28/18, 11:51 AM   #23
ThePurple73

I would look into this, Cory Kruseman's school, drive and learn. Take the trip to California and try it out.

Here is a link. https://kruseman.com/Default.aspx

1 member likes this post: jdull99
11/28/18, 3:26 PM   #24
motorhead748

Great advice Meeker. With the best being go straight to 410's. I don't see the appeal of 305's, a lot of your weekly expense is the same and you race for much less.

11/28/18, 3:39 PM   #25
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

The question is, basically, what do you want to get out of your racing? 305's were not intended to be a starter class for people who wanted to race 410's. Way back in 2002-3, before I ever got a sprint car, I spoke to French Grimes, the founder of the class. French asked that question of me. My answer was "I want to race a sprint car and see how far I can go with it". French told me to skip the 305's. He said that they won't teach you what you need to know to be able to race competitively against 360's and 410's. The point of the class was to allow guys who had a regular job and a family to go race sprint cars without breaking the bank and having a 2nd job of race car maintenance.

I know that the 305's have that V-8 that you crave, but they are really underpowered for a car running a 25 square foot wing and a giant RR tire. I would go the 600 route before going 305 racing. For one thing, you don't need a quad to push you around the pits, it takes up way less space in the garage, you can run gasoline through them to get the alcohol out of the fuel system, and the methanol and tire cost is miniscule compared to the big car.
Last edited by Rhody; 11/28/18 at 3:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
11/28/18, 8:25 PM   #26
Kjohns421

I have my own racing experience, and combined with my dads (raced sprints in the 90s) we have about 30 years of racing between us. The terry pletch I mentioned in the OP has over 30 years to himself in sprints alone. He had up to 5 cars running at one time, and he just retired from it in the mid 2000s. I am going to give him a call and talk to him soon. But that you for all the info everyone. I’m just trying to get the ropes before I drop all the cash

12/14/18, 5:45 PM   #27
RR>LR=LTO

I know you. You were a decent kart racer. I know your dad and Pletch too. I’d say buy a micro. Run Logan or Peru for a year or two and see if you want to move up. You could get into micros for $10k and get most of your money back if you buy a decent car to start with. You’ll give up or go broke before you learn anything in 410’s around here. The competition is way too stiff. Buy a newer micro with a Suzuki in it and you can run 2 classes a night. Cheapest laps you’ll ever make. And you’ll find out if it’s worthwhile or you’re good enough to jump up to 410’s

When arguing with a woman: You must first throw out logic and common sense.
Benjamin Franklin :headbang

1 member likes this post: racer58
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looking to get into open wheel