IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SOD has no rules in 2016
9/5/15, 8:39 AM   #1
SOD has no rules in 2016
chop

Could not make the Hartford race last night. Was told that SOD is not going to have any rules next year other then a tire rule. Anyone hear anything about this?

1 member likes this post: fish
9/5/15, 10:15 AM   #2
Re: SOD has no rules in 2016
Stevensville Mike

In the drivers meeting they laid out the rules for 2016 and gave each driver a sheet with the synopsis. I am sure we will hear more as it goes on, but this is what I heard and read over driver Jim Lingar's shoulder:

No engine rules. No weight rules.

They will have spec LR and RR tires. Wing package is the same and the cars must look/resemble sprint cars.

Now, what I took from the no engine rules was unlimited displacement. Steel or aluminum was all allowed. No minimum weight speaks for itself.

They rolled out two mounted tires and showed the diameters between them. The compound was not the compound they were referring to, just the size. And they were Hoosiers.

So, that pretty much said it all. Then the announcer told the crowd of the changes and confused me. He said that in 2016 SOD will allow both 360 and 410 engines. Well.... yes..... that's true, but like I said, I took it as unlimited displacement, any types of blocks or heads.

I am sure we will hear more.

On a sidebar, Jim Lingar had a huge shunt last night. He was going through Turns 3 and 4 in the Feature and the car went right at the apex of Turn 4 and subsequently went nose first into the outside wall coming onto the front stretch. Hartford has water barrels there so that cushioned the blow but when he hit it looked real bad.

Jim got out of the car, though. We all breathed a sigh of relief. A few years ago I remember he went over the Turn 2 wall and out of the track, landing on all four wheels and never flipping.

Also, once again as always this year at Hartford when they are running sprints, the joint was absolutely packed.
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 9/5/15 at 1:21 PM.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, fish, VSneader2
9/5/15, 10:50 AM   #3
Stevensville Mike

http://tjslideways.com/2015/09/04/so...nges-for-2016/

9/5/15, 7:10 PM   #4
Eric Smith

No rules besides running the tire. Partly in an effort to contain cost. That cost containment means you have to get a big 410, new wheels, new tires, and all super light weight everything to try to be competitive. Should only cost the top teams $60,000 in "savings" to run up front next year. The guys that are going to run current SOD cars are just going to go backwards. Sure glad I live 5 hours away from any car similar to mine for next year, and right in the heart of the SOD tracks.

The quickest and easiest way to cut weight is the safety stuff. 3 layer suits are heavy, hans, full containment seats, arm restraints, steel heims and steering componenets, etc.

Maybe someone will save 360 racing in Michigan. I need a beer.

3 members like this post: chop, fish, hoscalecody
9/5/15, 8:02 PM   #5
chop

So I can use a 500 cube big block-turbo or a blower? Can I run nitro and nitrous oxide? Traction control? So if it is going to be a 410 club will it be a 410 payout? Will the tire some how save you money or will it just a diff tire that you buy a lot of them? I do not have a dog in this fight other then going to a lot of sod races each year. Will the cars they gain offset the cars they may lose?

9/5/15, 8:55 PM   #6
Eric Smith

"No engine rules." So yes, you can run that motor. I totally get this move from the organization's perspective. Make every car in the world legal, and maybe every car in the world will join. $$$ If there are no rules, you don't need anyone to enforce them. $$$ If there is no weight rule, you don't need anyone to weigh them. $$$ Make spec tires, and sell them to the racers at any price you want. $$$ I have heard no mention of payout increasing, but I'm willing to bet there's zero chance of that. $$$ Those who race will be spending huge $$$ to try to be competitive. I can promise there will be no saving the racers any money.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
9/5/15, 9:54 PM   #7
Spi-nex

There is a reason that WoO introduced the 410ci limit rule in the early 80's when teams were getting out of control with massive big blocks and crazy light cars.

Maybe Hartford should just race 360's next year Semi-weekly. Looks like 20+ cars may have just became available....

2 members like this post: fish, TEST19
9/5/15, 9:59 PM   #8
hoosier race fan

Sept. 4th will mark the day the SOD series was killed. I used to really enjoy the shows they had at Gas City several years ago and when they have joined the program with the NRA at Montpelier this year.

1 member likes this post: hoscalecody
9/5/15, 10:46 PM   #9
spicoli

Is the thinking here that the size of the tire would offset a high horsepower motor? Would a monster motor just light up the tires? I can understand the thinking that the tires would equalize the competition.

Has a price per tire been mentioned?

(For the record, Hartford should go non wing next sprints next year!)

1 member likes this post: TEST19
9/5/15, 10:59 PM   #10
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

No rules? But you gotta run special tires? Total crap, open the tire rules it will help everyone including Hoosier.

1 member likes this post: treecitytornado
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SOD has no rules in 2016