IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Social Media & Negativity: Bad combination for dirt racing.
1/29/16, 11:58 AM   #11
Airsys

The real time up dates goes back to embracing social media, it's not going away. If used right by the promoters it can be a powerful tool. On the chilli bowl official fb page they were giving live updates. This would not make me want to not go to a race. You can not get the same sights, sounds and smells sitting at home. Who doesn't like the smell of methanol at dusk!! When I read the live up dates others are providing it does the opposite for me, it only makes me wish I was there even more.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, jim goerge
1/29/16, 12:03 PM   #12
Re: Social Media & Negativity: Bad combination for dirt raci
spicoli

The microphone at the track is not social media, it's just a driver being a knucklehead in public.

Social media and "constructive criticism" should be welcomed by all tracks.

In the past, if a family showed up and the ladies restroom was filthy, that family just never went back, and no one ever knew why. With social media, that family has a forum to say 'we really liked the racing, food, etc., but the restrooms were filthy'. This gives the track a chance to make it right and get these people back, and maybe bring in more.

1/29/16, 12:25 PM   #13
LEADERS EDGE

It all goes hand in hand.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
1/29/16, 4:24 PM   #14
Unlucky#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs G View Post
This topic has been discussed several times off and on over the years. We all know Bill had a way with words. Here's his response at the time regarding the subject: https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...910#post375910

Mrs. G
Very well, I guess that I'm an idiot, I apologize for opening my flapper, thank you for setting me straight Mrs. G. (said with sincerity, not sarcasm)

1/29/16, 4:40 PM   #15
Mrs G
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky#9 View Post
Very well, I guess that I'm an idiot, I apologize for opening my flapper, thank you for setting me straight Mrs. G. (said with sincerity, not sarcasm)

Casey,

Please know that I would NEVER address you or refer to you as an idiot! I do not condone name calling on the board. That was my husband's choice of words which is why I pointed out that he had a way with words. I merely wanted to point out that most of the traffic on IOW is from outside the state of Indiana and, in my opinion, live updates do not deter fans from coming to the track. I appreciate each of the IOW members that take the time out of their night at the track to do updates!

My sincere apology for the misunderstanding!

Mrs G

1/29/16, 5:08 PM   #16
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Social media can absolutely destroy racing if it isn't controlled, but in some circumstances it helps. I started the USAC Silver Crown from the beginning to today on Facebook in hopes to get the popularity back and build a build a new younger fanbase. It started small but there is now over 7,000 members on there including legends of our sport (Jimmy Sills, Billy Engelhart, Steve Chassey, Junior Kurtz, Galen Fox, etc.) and most of our current drivers. It may not necessarily bring more new fans to the track, but it sure doesn't hurt that it makes the younger generation more aware of the past and shows how much people care about the history. Just my two cents though!

2 members like this post: flagboy55, LJC77
1/30/16, 1:36 AM   #17
flagboy55

I just want to say the availability of live updates has absolutely no impact on my race attendance. I can either go or I can't. That's like saying the radio broadcast of a game keeps people from going. I personally love and appreciate the updates when I can't make it and thank all that provide them

1 member likes this post: spicoli
1/30/16, 3:56 AM   #18
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsys View Post
The real time up dates goes back to embracing social media, it's not going away. If used right by the promoters it can be a powerful tool. On the chilli bowl official fb page they were giving live updates. This would not make me want to not go to a race. You can not get the same sights, sounds and smells sitting at home. Who doesn't like the smell of methanol at dusk!! When I read the live up dates others are providing it does the opposite for me, it only makes me wish I was there even more.
Yep, something strangely addictive about that fragrance of methanol. I was at a track & when the graders were running in the track, I commented to an older gent about how crappy diesel smelled compared to methanol; methanol isn't like roses or bacon cooking, but nevertheless pleasant... he replies "yea, like gunpowder".....

1/30/16, 4:03 AM   #19
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
You can follow a ton of tracks and events in live timing and scoring so throw that update stuff out the window. Its nice to have if you couldn't make it, Had to work or something.

Its never kept me from a real race I could reasonably make. Even if it was on TV or streamed, Its not the same, The sights, the sounds, The stuff only the eye catches that the camera don't.

You can never get the excitement, Sense of wow or stress relief from Updates, Watching numbers scroll up and down a screen or even TV.

This periscope stuff, IDK, It sure as heck isn't the same. Might hurt PPVs a bit same as above. Its nothing like being there.

The thread was about SM and negativity. I posted how IMO its not cool for a racer and even teammates to be negative all over it about how the nights going or went and I pointed it out that they do it right in victory lane.

My example was a racer who stood on the podium then blamed the track he didn't win on three occasions.
IDK, Sometimes it would make that guy, The one you love to hate. It isn't like Social Media has changed anything there, But the constant bashing by a crew member of the track or something during a event, I kinda agree with this track owner on.

I think it was two years ago, Opener at Gas City, Track was prepped ready to go at race time, Track was allowed to bake another 45 minutes as the drives meeting went way over. OMG, The number of owners, crew chiefs, team members bashing on facebook an twitter was unbelievable. Strange how only a couple of them complimented it on the condition it was in for the consi and features.

This IMHO is the relentless negativity I think that this tracks trying to cool of. Used to be you'd walk up personally and ask the owner, promoter or track guy if they could do something about it. Without all the F bombs etc because you'd probably be eating teeth if you did what you do on the net. And Everyone you know wouldn't know how bad it was, FOR A SHORT TIME.

I read Bills response after writing this and I totally agree, We got locals who can no longer drive or have a spouse they have to take care of that make it when and if they can find the live updates useful for all the times they can't.

I meet people from PA NJ, New Zealand, Austrailia and Britain that make come because of social media, Keep track of all our tracks so they know who, what, where when they do come.

It has some negatives, But it also takes this localized three state non wing fad. INTERNATIONAL! and even folks from winged country come to Indiana just because it isn't winged.
"and even folks from winged country come to Indiana just because it isn't winged"... like me! Last 2 Kokomo Smackdowns.I wouldn't even have found my first sprint car race without the Net. Now I've been to Knoxville Nats 4 times & thanks to info found here, planning for Indiana Midget Week this spring
Any new technology has its good & bad sides, just amplifies whatever is already there. Negative & opinionated folks all over (me sometimes too) Social media just gives them another outlet, along with the positive & enthusiastic people

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Social Media & Negativity: Bad combination for dirt racing.