IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > HARTFORD, MI - Track now a 4/10th mile.
11/15/15, 9:37 PM   #1
HARTFORD, MI - Track now a 4/10th mile.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

News from the banquet last night.
-
FROM THE TRACKS FACEBOOK PAGE.
We announced at the banquet last night we have shortened the race track. We have taken down the light poles on the inside of the track. The inside is now a 4/10ths. Outside walls have been left alone resulting in corners that are now 120 feet wide. We think this will make for better racing and allow the bottom line to be more competitive with the top. Stay tuned for pictures and more info. Thanks for the your support... Tim

11/15/15, 11:56 PM   #2
Re: HARTFORD, MI - Track now a 4/10th mile.
spicoli

Bring on the non-wing sprints!

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
11/16/15, 12:01 AM   #3
flagboy55

I am not sure how this will work but I applaud the Hartford crew for their efforts to make the track more user friendly to the local racer. Actually it's a great track already for the world of outlaws and the big late model series. Too many of the big tracks are going away so happy to hear it will still be the same on the outside.

1 member likes this post: Wizard 05
11/16/15, 12:19 AM   #4
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

I know it's an on going question with drivers, teams, fans, and even promoters. Big Track vs small track.
But I'd like to know how many open wheel sprint car guys would race there now or is the tracks location the biggest factor in not racing there?
just curious to who would give it a shot.

11/16/15, 12:36 AM   #5
spicoli

I'll race there, prefer non-wing, but would go back with a wing. 410.

It's an hour from where I keep my car.

Nothing else is closer, except Plymouth. Can't bring myself to buy a motor that I can't use anywhere else, no matter how cheap it is.

3 members like this post: fish, flagboy55, nathans1012
11/16/15, 3:50 AM   #6
fish

Seems like a pretty smart and common sense approach. I look forward to seeing some photos.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
11/17/15, 2:37 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

I drove over to the track yesterday late afternoon before I went to work to get a few pictures of the alterations but the gates were locked up. No one was around. I wasn't going to hop the fence or anything, but from the outside it looked like the light poles were still up, unless they already moved them back in further towards the infield. I know in Turns 1 and 2 there won't be much room left for the poles if they did/do that for the infield drop off comes quick.

I'll check later in the week and report back. It is something to do in the off season here.

1 member likes this post: fish
11/17/15, 7:38 PM   #8
Spi-nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
I drove over to the track yesterday late afternoon before I went to work to get a few pictures of the alterations but the gates were locked up. No one was around. I wasn't going to hop the fence or anything, but from the outside it looked like the light poles were still up, unless they already moved them back in further towards the infield. I know in Turns 1 and 2 there won't be much room left for the poles if they did/do that for the infield drop off comes quick.

I'll check later in the week and report back. It is something to do in the off season here.
I actually live at the track in the blue house. I wasn't home yesterday, sorry I missed you. Next time you would like to stop in, just give me call or text. I'll PM you my number.

3 members like this post: Mooney/DeWitt Racing, nathans1012, Speedsme61x
12/2/15, 2:32 PM   #9
Stevensville Mike

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post in this thread, but I made it back out to the track yesterday. While looking around I was greeted by Spi-nex. We chatted a bit and I think Hartford is in for a whale of a season in 2016. While not being able to discuss the specifics here on IOW, some of the physical track ideas and promoting ideas we spoke about should turn out, IMO, absolutely great for us sprint fans.

I then walked around the empty venue as the cold December wind blew out of the west. The clay was quite slippery from the earlier rain we had so I had to watch my step.

The first thing I noticed was the pit grandstand was gone from the outside of Turns 3 and 4. It had been removed an was sitting in the pit lot. It will not be re-erected. There are plans in place for alternate viewing from the pits down the stretch but not with those stands. For 2016, though, all viewing will pretty much have to be done from the main grandstand. I think it could be good exercise for the pit crews, too. How many calories can one burn in a 100 yard walk?

I took a few shots, also. Note that the light poles on the infield have not been moved back. They are still in their original places. However, the inner wall at both ends has been moved in. The track is super wide.

In the pics, there is clay that has been pushed around and laid down in Turns 1 and 2, but by no stretch is the job done. It has been too wet when the track workers have been assembled so far to complete the job. Plenty of time left, though. But with respect to Turns 1 and 2, the clay berm in the pictures is not the original inner wall area. A good idea of how far the track has been moved in are the Turn 4 pics.

Here are the shots:

This one is from the flag stand looking at Turn 1. If you look down low, you can see where the track has been widened/shortened for it is all the way up against the score board.

This pic is still Turn 1, but was taken from the grandstand walkway at the top. Note how the inner wall is hugging the light poles now.

Here is a shot taken from the apex of Turns 1 and 2, looking into Turn 2. I was on the outside of the track wall looking in. You can see the clay berm I was talking about that was created when the clay was pushed around. The original inner wall was probably about 2/3 of the way from the berm to where it is now.

This shot is a little further into Turn 2, starting to look down the back stretch. It would be interesting to get an opinion from an actual racer who raced Hartford to give us a more proper perspective on the width change in this corner.

Lastly, here are two good shots of Turn 4. I was standing where the pit exit is. You can see where the original line was down low for grass is still there - the clay has not been laid yet. Both are the same shot with the second one just zoomed in a little.

But I think these guys are headed in a good direction. The lower line will be flat. The upper line banking will not change. However, the downstairs line will be a lot shorter around. If it helps bring the car count up, great.

And, if things do not work out the way they thought it would next season and beyond, the inner wall can be moved right back out and the original configuration will not be compromised, as I-96 Speedway found out a few years ago when Turn 4 all of a sudden got real tight. The Hartford guys kept their eyes and ears open before making their move here.

Spi-nex also told me that if anyone wishes to come to the track to check things out, talk racing & promoting, or to just bring free pizza, they are more than welcome. Just go upstairs in the big house in Turn 4. I thank him for his hospitality once again and allowing me to tour the facility. I cannot wait until Spring and the first drop of the green flag.

12/2/15, 3:27 PM   #10
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Holy crap ! ! ! This is not your father's Hartford Speedway. Thanks Mike for the sneak peek. Should be very interesting.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > HARTFORD, MI - Track now a 4/10th mile.