IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
badcoupe (Offline)
  #1 3/9/14 10:39 PM
Whats the consensus on bushings plastic vs. metal? All my past cars have had metal my new to me car has them but they need replaced are there any pros or cons for either? Thanks!
spicoli (Offline)
  #2 3/10/14 11:57 PM
I wondered the same thing. For what it's worth...I was at a WoO show, and looked at Sammy's car. I figured maybe bronze at the rear arms, plastic every where else. He doesn't pay for this stuff, and he is known for his lightweight cars.

He had bronze bushing all the way around.

That tells me that there is some reason he does not like plastic torsion bar bushings.

I prefer bronze myself because they don't seem to get egg shaped inside when they wear.
TQ29m (Online)
  #3 3/11/14 10:24 AM
I also prefer the sintered bronze bushings myself, not all that easy to find tho, they are made from powdered bronze that is made with the lubricant in the bronze, that's why they last longer, if nothing else, my second choice would be aluminum, it has good wear characterisics, plastic just doesn't seem like a good choice to me, altho I do make my own spindle thrust washers out of a silicone treated nylon, never see any wear out of them. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
sprntr (Offline)
  #4 3/11/14 7:06 PM
Here's your sintered bushings:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Swinde...ing,60072.html

steiny
badcoupe (Offline)
  #5 3/11/14 9:08 PM
Thanks for the info gents!
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #6 3/11/14 9:16 PM
The oilite bronze are very nice and hold up well.
diana (Offline)
  #7 3/16/14 12:08 AM
how often do you change these bushings. I have not changed mine in 4 years of racing.
How do worn out torsion bar bushings affect performance. Pros and cons.
Thank you
Bill84 (Offline)
  #8 3/16/14 6:46 AM
Unless they were badly worn, I'm not sure I see where it would be a real issue. On the flip side, having them too tight can be an issue. The torsion needs to spin freely in the bushing. Any binding greatly affects the reaction time of the suspension.

Bill
stew60 (Offline)
  #9 3/25/14 6:12 AM
So does that mean you don't need to grease the bars if you're using the bronze bushes?
sprntr (Offline)
  #10 3/25/14 5:23 PM
I still grease mine.

steiny