IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is Lucas Oil's business model?
6/1/10, 9:48 AM   #11
short track scott

Wow. I never thought of industrial stuff having such a share in his business. Thanks for that insight!
Posted via Mobile Device

6/1/10, 11:28 AM   #12
Re: What is Lucas Oil's business model?
dirtshirt

This Past weekend was the third time I have been setup at Lucas Speedway . Friday night Forrest Lucas came by as a race fan to just to chat and see if I needed anything to make my sales better .He is a very positive voice for racing on any level . I later saw Forest on a 4 wheeler taking hamburger buns over to pitside concessions .
2006 There was 254.4 million passenger vehicles registered in USA.Of this was 2.2 million 18 wheeler trucks .Lucas has overtaken all oil and fuel additives in the USA .(STP brand is for sale) Just be glad he is a motorsport fan folks.They are expanding Lucas Speedway now with a new Drag Boat lake besides the dirt track.The city of Wheatland has 288 residents . Im guessing the two day attendence was over 20,000.Beautiful place with professional people taking care of you at every level.Put LUCAS SPEEDWAY ON YOUR MUST ATTEND LIST.Sprint Bandits be there June
I am fan of of Jesse Hockett I put out a jar for donations .I gave 10% of of my sale saturday to this fund .God BLESS THE HOCKETT Family.

3 members like this post: buck2, Hubie, v8j
6/1/10, 8:11 PM   #13
Revolution Racing

For the past few years, the company has been building the "Team Lucas" marketing program. Lucas VP Bob Patison is one of the more brilliant minds in Motor sports today, and he has done an amazing job. I got the chance to spend some time with Bob recently at the Corona, CA plant, and for much of the tour you would swear you were at a TV studio, not an oil company. They do all of thier own TV production work for both advertising and programming, and they have an impressive roster of "Team Lucas" associates such as Gieco Powersports, E3 Spark pugs and others whom they produce advertising for as well.

This answers a lot of questions about how they can have such a presence on TV. They have much more control over costs and content because they produce the content themselves. Oh, and they make a darn gool line of lubrication products also....

We are proud to be associated with Lucas through our ASCS connections - this is an example of an American Company that has worked hard to remain competitive and they are an inspiration.

6/1/10, 9:07 PM   #14
LEADERS EDGE

Well I stand corrected.

The article I read stated that the truck market was their bread and butter. Could have been an old one or inaccurate, but now I know the truth.

6/1/10, 9:24 PM   #15
REH24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Well I stand corrected.

The article I read stated that the truck market was their bread and butter. Could have been an old one or inaccurate, but now I know the truth.
According to Forrest Lucas bio on Morgan Lucas (son) Racing web page you were right.

http://www.morganlucas.com/Forrest-and-Charlotte-Lucas/

REH

6/1/10, 9:36 PM   #16
DodyLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I appreciate all that Lucas Oil has done for motorsports. I appreciate that Forrest Lucas loves motorsports, and is a good guy. I really appreciate the track he has in Wheatland. I have no ill will towards Lucas oil at all.

However, my comment was more around how sustainable is all of this. If I were to guess at the amount of money they spend on adversting it would be large. Colts stadium $5 mill a year, two NHRA top fuel teams $8 mill a year, all of the grass roots stuff that he does $2 mill a year (sprints, late models, tractors boats, etc). Thus, by my numbers he is spending $15 million a year on advertising, and using your number on his budget this means he is selling $45 million dollars worth of product. All of these numbers are all uninformed guesses. Any real numbers would be appreciated.

I just don't see Lucas Oil selling that much product. If Lucas Oil was the top choice of over the road semi trucks, and half of all semi trucks used his products, the numbers would make more sense. Until this thread, I never knew that he sold to the semi truck market.
I believe it is considered sponsorship; several revenue assets, with tax breaks and other contributions provided by the State of Indiana, more specifically the city of Indianapolis, built the building.

The ongoing funding is revenue based from management stratagems formulated similar to that of a convention center. Renting of space, contracting with vendors, etc ... The seed money initially given was what provided the NAME SAKE rights ... the rest is contributory efforts from many different sources.

If you would like the true model, seek out the City of Indianapolis for further details.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is Lucas Oil's business model?