IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bill Gardner Sprintacular Weekend
7/5/15, 3:30 AM   #1
Bill Gardner Sprintacular Weekend
Jerry Shaw

Like the poem that Brad read tonight at LPS, Bill Gardner was a good man. He was actually a great man, but "good man" was the most you would ever get him to agree to. LOL. He had a vision that there could be a place that race fans, drivers and race team members could go to and say their peace and give their honest opinions. As long as they did so in a way that was relatively respectful to the others that were there. It had been tried in other places, but it just didn't work. People just couldn't be civil to one another. But, we would soon find out that this place was different. Because the man behind the curtain, The Mighty Oz, in this case wasn't a selfish man. It wasn't about him or about promoting his own self interests. It was about his idea. And people soon learned that this model worked. That this would be the best place to go, if you were a race fan and just wanted to connect with other people that shared your same passion.

This weekend was another dream that Bill Gardner had. A multi-day show at his home track, one in the shadow of the place that he had grown up. He talked about it for years. And as soon as Joe Spiker came along and took the helm of the track, Bill started thinking that his what he had dreamed about could actually take place, because Joe was the kind of guy that had a vision of bigger and better things to happen at LPS.

Flash forward to this weekend. The MSCS rolled into town. Most of the best non-wing sprint drivers in the country were on hand to do battle. Like quite a few times, by the time the feature rolled around, there had been quite a few race cars on the racing surface. To the untrained eye, the track looked looked like it might be a little worn. But to those that come to see races here often, we knew that that meant nothing. Dave Darland is a future Hall of Fame driver that, who learned how to be the great driver that he is, in large part by the duels that had taken place on this track. He bolted out to the lead and held down the top spot by taking the shortest distance around this place, around the bottom. Robert Ballou quickly moved into second place and hounded Dave for the nest twenty laps or so. Taking the same path as Dave in 1 and 2 and then driving as high as is possible to do in 3 and 4. An egg shaped pattern. While all this was going on Max McGhee was flying and was closing in on Ballou. When he moved on Robert, hard contact was made, Max would come to a stop, ending his chances and Ballou would continue on, somehow. You wonder what such an impressive showing, against the toughest competition around might do for the confidence of a young driver like Max. Robert eventually got around Dave with about ten laps to go and it looked like it was over. But with about five laps left Kevin Thomas Jr went on a rampage and started laying waste to the rest of the top 5. After he cleared Darland he was catching Robert and he was catching him fast. A few laps earlier, this seemed inconceivable. The Madman looked to have it covered. When they threw the white flag he had closed the distance and was all over him the they reached the backstretch. It's Kevin Thomas Jr, so you knew he was going to go for it and try something. This kid had been an aggressor in MSCS races since he was 14 years old. He threw a big slider at Robert going into turn three. But Robert wasn't backing off and KT Jr chose not to run over him and Robert crossed the start/finish line first. What a race! It was just the kind of race Bill Gardner loved.

Night two would arrive and hopes were high, as USAC would be the show and that would include a couple more competitors and expectation were that this would be at least as good as the previous night. The track looked approximately the same as the heats concluded, so hopes were still high. The bottom was just about as worn as the top, so we looked good to go. But then they did a complete track rework before the B-main. Once the feature started, you could see that they were pretty much locked down around the bottom. Ballou looked to hit an infield tire, went to the work area and was out. They seemed to go back to green real quick after that, so that took some wind out of the races sails, as the night's most aggressive driver was done. Jerry Coons assumed the lead and was never seriously challenged, even though Kyle Cummins ran a strong race and Chase Stockon, Jon Stanbrough and Tracy Hines were Hard Chargers and were able to gain many positions. Jon and Chase were able to find a line a car width above the very bottom that others didn't and gained most of their positions, one at a time, that way. Those that were running the top, like Chad Boespflug, Shane Cottle and KT Jr found tough sledding and found it hard to make progress. It was a decent race, but it didn't live up to the previous nights really good race. Coons would be victorious for the second July 4th race in a row by running a mistake free race, as he often does.

It was a very successful weekend for the Bill Gardner Sprintacular, in two different ways. It had drawn many fans to a 2 day show at Lincoln Park Speedway, as Bill had envisioned. It also served as a real big gathering for the racing family that Bill Gardner's Indiana Open Wheel has created. As Brian Hayden said, what Bill created has touched and connected so many people. More than he could ever have known. A great example was Friday night, after the Sprint feature, I was talking to Shonrda's family as she was getting the event t-shirt that I had wanted. I wanted an XL in Blue, but they only had gray. A man standing nearby overheard and said "Hey, I have a blue one in the car, if you want to trade." As we were walking to his car, I found out this was Lloyd Chapman, someone that has been on IOW for years, but I had never met. He was a good guy and I couldn't help but think the guy that made IOW had arranged this transaction. It was a great weekend full of racing and talking to friends at one of the best race tracks out there for watching racing WHILE you're talking to your friends. I'm glad this weekend happened finally and all I can say is God bless Bill Gardner for what he created and what he left behind for us.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/5/15 at 2:14 PM.

7/5/15, 11:03 AM   #2
Re: Bill Gardner Sprintacular Weekend
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Lloyd Chapman and Gail are two of the nicest IOW's I've ever met. Met them through IOW and the Shortbus. Who along with his wife are onery but also some of the nicest people,

Lots of great people on IOW. Glad to have met dozens of them.

7/5/15, 11:18 AM   #3
tubemaster

I was only able to make it to the Friday night show, but it was a fantastic show. I hope the Sprintacular continues going forward. As a big fan of non wing sprints, we need more shows like this and enthusiastic and tireless supporters of the sport like Bill Gardner.

7/5/15, 12:40 PM   #4
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

So glad the weekend was a success and the weather was perfect (finally). Sorry we couldn't be there this year but hope we can make it next year to the 2nd annual Bill Gardner Sprintacular Weekend. 😊

7/5/15, 12:50 PM   #5
robert gatten

I don't believe you could put more people into LPS than they had last night. It was great to see people cheek to cheek on every row of the grandstands. That will guarantee there will be another Bill Gardner Spectacular . Just a perfect weekend, Thanks LPS

7/5/15, 1:42 PM   #6
jim goerge

What a great weekend of racing. Bill told me once that he didn't want LPS to be the best track in the state, he just want LPS to be the best LPS could be. I think she was awful good both nights and I think she can kick it up a notch or two next year . Every time I am there (almost every week) I fall little more in love with her. The staff is friendly and helpful, the racing is great, a great announcer ( Thanks for helping my friend Brad) I met some new IOW'ers like Bob Gatten and wife (sat in front of them both nights and had a blast) David M in from MA, what a nice guy. I can't wait for Sprintweek to get back there Oh yeah the ice cream IS great ( hear that Jen) I made a deal with my young friend Emily I'd buy if she would fly, WOW didn't that shinny girl could eat that much ice cream . LPS Thanks for a great weekend

7/5/15, 2:57 PM   #7
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

A great two nights of racing, with the nod going to the first night as the better of the two. Enjoyed visiting with my IOW friends, reconnecting with friends who aren't IOWers, and finally meeting Mrs. G!

6 members like this post: DirtHawk92, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, mc/rider, Mrs G, racing2bwithu2
7/9/15, 1:22 AM   #8
dirt_trackgurl006

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 41

yes Charles My father and Gail are both onery, but I would not have it any other way!! They are such a very nice couple, and I am very blessed and lucky to have such a wonderful and thoughtful man as my father! Gail is a great woman as well, and I am happy that she has made my father happy for the past 5 years!
Jerry Thank You for everything you have done to keep IOW alive!! I hope to be able to meet you in the future at a track!!
thanks again,
Kasi

4 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bill Gardner Sprintacular Weekend