IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week.The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
7/19/11, 10:36 AM   #1
Sprint Week.The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Texan

My 11 year old son and I came in from Dallas for the first Saturday of 2011 Indiana Sprint week. We were able to hit the Saturday, Sunday, and Thursday shows. Here is what we observed and experienced from our trip.

The Good:

Wow, non wing sprint racing! Doesn’t get any better than that.

Fan support was incredible. Arriving at Kokomo and seeing all the campers, flags and fans mulling about clued us in right away that this was going to be special.

Kokomo track – Best of the races we saw. Fun little track that reminds me of our hometown track (Cowtown Speedway) only it has a little less banking than ours.

Lawrenceburg Speedway - Amazing facility. Would be a blast to race on with that banking. Well run program.

Weather was awesome coming from our heat. Monday was hot and led us to not attend the North Vernon show (non Sprint week show) but outside of that day all the days were great.

Special thanks to the Indiana State Trooper who stopped me on Hwy 31 between Kokomo and Indy for going 70 in a 55 and only giving me a warning. Very cool.

Indy museum with my son on Sunday. I had been there a couple of times but it was special with my boy. His comments on the changes in cars from year to year and identifying the advances in technology made me proud. He even pointed out things I missed, lol.

Support classes. Count me as one who likes to see a few support classes. I really liked the mods at Lawrenceburg but I’m biased to them as well. I couldn’t believe the winner of the feature continued on with a missing air cleaner as dusty as it was. I’m sure those engines are at least $12k or more and I doubt they were racing for more than $1000 to win. The mini sprints at Brownstown were flying. Their lap times were not too far off the sprints.

Fans. All the fans we spoke directly to were nice and respectful. Had a few questions about where we were from and they seemed interested in our having a good time.

Brownstown. Neat facility. How long has it been there? Reminded me of days gone by. Even though it was dry, the track still seemed racey.

The Bad:

Checked in at the Hampton Inn in Kokomo at 3:00. Left my sunglasses on the counter as I put my bags in the room. Came down and the front desk acknowledged I left them there but couldn’t locate them. They said someone must have stolen them. Not a good start to lose your sunglasses only a few hours in town but my fault for leaving them on the counter.

Dust. I don’t mind dust as much as some, but most of the sprint guys I know like it a little tacky and racey. We thought the shows were still good, but could understand they could have been much better with a little more water.

Had to attend a meeting early Thursday in Columbus so we missed THAT. Wish it was closer as we would have liked to have seen the legendary half mile.

The Ugly:

Got to Kokomo Speedway at about 3:45 and went to the stands to see them full of blankets. We found a spot for two on the second row from the top (got lucky but we stayed parked there for hours). The row above us had plastic down and then a blanket taped over it. Let’s just say it got reeeaaaallly ugly. Two sets of folks claiming the same spot. A couple of the guys with the blanket said they worked for the track and had “rights to that section” even though their blanket was taped on top of the plastic (the plastic was claimed to be put down by the other party at 3PM). If these guys were employed by the track, they were not a very good representation and in my opinion were very abusive with lots of foul language and threats. I lost more respect for them when the cheered a flip by the Hoffman car. Not cool in my book.

The departure from Brownstown parking lot. I guess it really isn’t a parking lot but the way people wanted to get out of there just blew me away. It seems nobody was gracious enough to let anyone else in. I saw car after car right on the bumper of the car in front of them refusing to let any of the cars in the aisles in. I know it was a Thursday night and some had to work the next morning but this was over the top. It seems to me if you let one car in and just took turns everyone would be able to exit faster. Maybe it’s just a southern thing but that’s how it’s done at tracks back home.

I have to end this with a special category of “The Awesome”.

Thanks to the fan from Indy who sat beside us at Kokomo. He went down during the races for one of the support classes and when he returned he had purchased a 2011 Indiana Sprint Week shirt for my son. That was top notch Indiana hospitality. He said he wanted my son to become a non wing fan. I assure you, my son is definitely a non wing fan! I know he reads this board so thanks again!

Also thanks for the PMs from IOW members inviting us down pit side. We didn’t arrive early enough to go down and I didn’t want to bother you anyway with amount of shows on the schedule as I know there is a lot to get done between events. Another great example of the racing community.

All in all, we had a blast and hope to do it again some year.

7/19/11, 10:44 AM   #2
Re: Sprint Week.The Good, the Bad and the Ugl
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Interesting observations. Glad you had a good time and hope you return again. Thanks for sharing.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/19/11, 10:52 AM   #3
i love dirt track racing

we all here in indiana hope to see you and your son next year. if you can bring some more fans

7/19/11, 5:54 PM   #4
Hotlapn74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
The departure from Brownstown parking lot. I guess it really isn’t a parking lot but the way people wanted to get out of there just blew me away. It seems nobody was gracious enough to let anyone else in. I saw car after car right on the bumper of the car in front of them refusing to let any of the cars in the aisles in. I know it was a Thursday night and some had to work the next morning but this was over the top. It seems to me if you let one car in and just took turns everyone would be able to exit faster. Maybe it’s just a southern thing but that’s how it’s done at tracks back home.
You should see us in California! You try sneaking in on us, and you're going around.

7/19/11, 6:07 PM   #5
illiNOISE

I'm in total agreement about exiting a racetrack parking lot. It seems like a lot of folks must have been out sick the day in kindergarten they went over the concept of taking turns.
Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: cmakin, DWX 9929, PJ Wright
7/19/11, 6:49 PM   #6
Sprint63122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Got to Kokomo Speedway at about 3:45 and went to the stands to see them full of blankets. We found a spot for two on the second row from the top (got lucky but we stayed parked there for hours). The row above us had plastic down and then a blanket taped over it. Let’s just say it got reeeaaaallly ugly. Two sets of folks claiming the same spot. A couple of the guys with the blanket said they worked for the track and had “rights to that section” even though their blanket was taped on top of the plastic (the plastic was claimed to be put down by the other party at 3PM). If these guys were employed by the track, they were not a very good representation and in my opinion were very abusive with lots of foul language and threats. I lost more respect for them when the cheered a flip by the Hoffman car. Not cool in my book.
Was sitting in the same area sorry you had to deal with these people the father, mother and son should not be let in to this track they are already drunk and wasted everytime I have been there and they where the same way last year during sprint week plus the other local shows I went to.If you noticed the father was not around during the rest of the program, second time seeing the local sheriff he was told to exit the track.Excellant facility fantastic racing everytime we visit the track,the owners have been more than nice to chat with will see what happens next time we go there if these people are there again make it a point to make sure there night ends early.

1 member likes this post: Dirtfan
7/19/11, 6:51 PM   #7
Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiNOISE View Post
I'm in total agreement about exiting a racetrack parking lot. It seems like a lot of folks must have been out sick the day in kindergarten they went over the concept of taking turns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agree completely. Had this happen getting out of Kokomo, but it seems if you don't look at anyone then its OK

7/19/11, 7:07 PM   #8
dant

i remember that class...when i'm in line i'm patiently waiting my turn..when someone allows another to get in line in front of them.. they are 'cutting in line'- not waiting as the rest of us....so does it go faster 'taking turns 'as you say [I say cutting in line] no... not for they guy playing by the rules -waiting his turn ,,, but yah for the guy cutting in line ...see it depends on which car your in

1 member likes this post: Dirtfan
7/19/11, 7:29 PM   #9
Red Clay

If there are rows leading off of one entrance/exit and someone ends up parking closer to the exit due to their choice or arrival time and try to exit using the row they are in, is it still cutting? Should a person be punished for having to park farther away? Would you suggest driving against traffic and across other rows away from the exit to get in the back of a line to exit? I am not sure that I understand the cutting theory. I have seen people drive across several rows towards the exit to try and exit quicker, this I could see as cutting as you call it, but not if you are just trying to use the row you parked in to work towards the exit in a orderly fashion.

7/19/11, 7:30 PM   #10
sw1911

Bloomington was like this May 20 I believe it was when Windom won. [sorry for the non ISW post but it stuck in my craw]

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Week.The Good, the Bad and the Ugly