Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car Colors
7/7/14, 1:23 PM   #11
Re: Car Colors
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
Paint is a hassle and an expense on something that on any given night might be trashed.

What I would rather discuss is how come I can't read anybody's name on the side of the hood?

It's either on there in some small font, or some weird font that I cannot read, even when I'm in the pits standing next to it.

The fans in the stands do not know who is who anymore.

Those that do not put the driver's name on the side, I've always wondered why not?
From a design standpoint, one thing my customers (not just racers) always wanted something that looked flashy on a computer screen. What looks flashy on a computer screen can be very difficult to read from any distance. Flashy outlines and shadows around text are the main reason. Another cause is fluorescent colors.

Another thing is letter size.
Size: Actual size in inches of a letter/number.
Impact: The distance where a letter/number is most readable.
Maximum: The farthest distance a person can read a letter/number.
Size - Impact - Maximum
2 in. - 20 ft. - 70 ft.
3 in. - 30 ft. - 100 ft.
4 in. - 40 ft. - 140 ft.
5 in. - 50 ft. - 175 ft.
6 in. - 60 ft. - 200 ft.

These distances vary depending on color combinations and vision. If you mix in a couple of outline colors, a shadow color, letter color and then background color... Forget about these measurements. If it's on your racecar, nobody is reading it unless there standing right next to it.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, gearguy, jim goerge, speed bump
7/7/14, 3:13 PM   #12
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I really don't care the color, You got 25 midgets. Most of us would be happy to get 20. In the day like today where getting a car together and actually taking it to a track cost a small fortune. I'll let the paint job slide.

Numbers however, I remember one Chili Bowl where there were a couple races where eight of the top ten were all 71s and many of them identical except maybe a small K or X after the number.
Fans appreciate nicely painted race cars (ala Johnny Lightning or, the day-glo STP cars etc). I remember race cars from the 60's 70's and 80's by the paint schemes. I became a fan of certain teams, cars and drivers because of the way the cars appeared. Young fans, in particular, are very impressionable. Ignore the fans and you'll lose them or, worse yet, never get them in the first place. The racing "community" as a whole, is not doing a very good promoting our sport. The crowd is getting older and older. Yes, they'll get Chuck's money and my money no matter what the color, however, there aren't enough of us die-hards around, anymore, to pay the all the bills. We need to create new fans.....somehow.

7/7/14, 3:26 PM   #13
jim goerge

I score MSCS races and I would love a large number on the nose and tail tank. It would also be sweet if guys using a letter would put one on that I could see from the booth A 3 inch letter at 100 mph is a real ***** to see Thanks for letting me vent

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Mud Packer, racenut69
7/7/14, 3:44 PM   #14
Tief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Fans appreciate nicely painted race cars (ala Johnny Lightning or, the day-glo STP cars etc). I remember race cars from the 60's 70's and 80's by the paint schemes. I became a fan of certain teams, cars and drivers because of the way the cars appeared. Young fans, in particular, are very impressionable. Ignore the fans and you'll lose them or, worse yet, never get them in the first place. The racing "community" as a whole, is not doing a very good promoting our sport. The crowd is getting older and older. Yes, they'll get Chuck's money and my money no matter what the color, however, there aren't enough of us die-hards around, anymore, to pay the all the bills. We need to create new fans.....somehow.
This is very well put. It more or less echoes my feelings and is the underlying reason I bring this up.

And thanks to everyone for chiming in. It's very enlightening.

7/7/14, 4:24 PM   #15
racenut69

Those nameplates above the driver's head,are hard to read on some cars because people don't know how to use contrasting colors..Some of the Mods and SLM are notorious for being hard to read!!!!...Use the "KISS" theory,unless your Sponsors want a specific combination..My .02...

7/7/14, 4:45 PM   #16
captrat

This thread fits in nicely with one of my pet peeves. For non-wing racing to grow its fan base it needs to find more than the non-wing thing to set it apart: 1. As stated earlier, paint schemes which set cars apart are great for the newbie 2. we need to find ways to once again make the view of the driver "at work" easier for the spectator, especially the newbies. I understand the need for the right side cover, but it certainly would be nice to be able to once again watch them wrasslin' these things around!

7/7/14, 5:04 PM   #17
Kansasdirtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gardner View Post
From a design standpoint, one thing my customers (not just racers) always wanted something that looked flashy on a computer screen. What looks flashy on a computer screen can be very difficult to read from any distance. Flashy outlines and shadows around text are the main reason. Another cause is fluorescent colors.

Another thing is letter size.
Size: Actual size in inches of a letter/number.
Impact: The distance where a letter/number is most readable.
Maximum: The farthest distance a person can read a letter/number.
Size - Impact - Maximum
2 in. - 20 ft. - 70 ft.
3 in. - 30 ft. - 100 ft.
4 in. - 40 ft. - 140 ft.
5 in. - 50 ft. - 175 ft.
6 in. - 60 ft. - 200 ft.

These distances vary depending on color combinations and vision. If you mix in a couple of outline colors, a shadow color, letter color and then background color... Forget about these measurements. If it's on your racecar, nobody is reading it unless there standing right next to it.
I couldn't agree more, Bill, but you left out one important factor: contrast. I spent lots of years in the graphics industry, and am a firm believer in the "form follows function" theory. Cars have names/numbers for one purpose only, and that's identification (function). If the lettering is a beautiful piece of design (form) but can't be read, then why bother. Outlined lettering is, in my opinion, way overused, simply because most of the time the outline is proportionately too large for the character size or there isn't sufficient contrast between the car, the lettering, and the outline. Outlines are OK as long as they don't impede legibility. If a driver wants to run a visor with his/her name on it, which I personally like, think contrast. Because names on the visor are usually fairly small, keep it a simple font, one that's easily read at speed and from a reasonable distance.

5 members like this post: DAD, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, John P Huss, speed bump
7/7/14, 5:10 PM   #18
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

You want different? Check out Jimmy Lights car

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
7/7/14, 5:13 PM   #19
Rpracing1

Nothing cooler than a flat black car with a #1 in duct tape on it.............i.e. Kurt Gross........JMO

2 members like this post: jim goerge, speed bump
7/7/14, 5:30 PM   #20
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Nothing cooler than a flat black car with a #1 in duct tape on it.............i.e. Kurt Gross........JMO
Kurt Had a big 1 with a X almost the same size could read his number while he was still in turn four

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car Colors