IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Volusia - WOO Sprints... Car goes into the stands. PRAYERS.
2/19/17, 10:43 PM   #1
Volusia - WOO Sprints... Car goes into the stands. PRAYERS.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Volusia Speedway Park
Just heard one of the sprint cars in the Feature just flipped into the grandstands. The wreck was between Dale Blaney, Rico Abreu, & Jason Sides. Med-Flight just call to transport injured fan..
PRAYERS TO ALL INVOLVED .

2 members like this post: dirtball, jim goerge
2/19/17, 10:44 PM   #2
Re: Volusia - WOO Sprints... Car goes into the stands. PRAYE
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yeah, Praying,
Saldana also went out of the park, over a tow truck a couple nights ago.

2/19/17, 10:51 PM   #3
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Yeah, Praying,
Saldana also went out of the park, over a tow truck a couple nights ago.
Yea I seen that video as well.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
2/20/17, 9:34 AM   #4
Nate

After seeing both Saldana and Blaney's crashes I put this one squarely on Volusia. That fence is clearly not close to being high enough or strong enough to keep cars in the track. Unfortunately in this latest crash a few fans have paid the price for Volusia's shortcomings.

1 member likes this post: Bostonian
2/20/17, 10:59 AM   #5
Jsr7s

Prayers sent

2/20/17, 11:54 AM   #6
hoosier race fan

From the video it does not look like the car got into the grandstands. It went through the top part of the fence off of turn 2 and landed in a gap between the stands that are in the middle of 1 and 2 and the stands on the backstretch. Fans and crew members stand in that area to watch. The car struck fans standing there. The report on Volusia's website states that one has been released, a second is stable, and a third is still critical. Fortunately the injured were being treated at Halifax in Daytona, a hospital well prepared to handle incidents involving race cars just like those in Indy.

2 members like this post: dirtball, fish
2/20/17, 1:49 PM   #7
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Volusia Speedway Park
Just heard one of the sprint cars in the Feature just flipped into the grandstands. The wreck was between Dale Blaney, Rico Abreu, & Jason Sides. Med-Flight just call to transport injured fan..
PRAYERS TO ALL INVOLVED .
The video I saw wasn't the grandstands, but the backstretch towards pits. Thoughts and prayers for those injured.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 2/20/17 at 1:50 PM.

2/20/17, 2:05 PM   #8
jim goerge

Kinda sounds to me that the track hasn"t kept up with the advancement of the cars( cars getting faster) The faster the cars get the higher they fly when something happens. Sending thoughts and prayers to all involved

2/20/17, 5:44 PM   #9
Therealether

First, World Racing Group owns the track. They are the promoters for the Dirtcar Nationals as well. So clearly the money is there to up better fencing. It just needs to be spent. Second, the area where the car flipped last night was the pit area, with plenty of signage warning not to stand by the fence in said arfence. Not trying to blame the victims, but qualifying speeds were in the 148 range on a 1/2 mile track, so theyre flatout and scary fast. You have to use your head when the speeds are that high, and maybe not stand near the fences.

2/20/17, 7:32 PM   #10
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealether View Post
the area where the car flipped last night was the pit area, with plenty of signage warning not to stand by the fence in said arfence. Not trying to blame the victims, but qualifying speeds were in the 148 range on a 1/2 mile track, so theyre flatout and scary fast. You have to use your head when the speeds are that high, and maybe not stand near the fences.
I agree with all of this, but Saldana could have easily ended up in the stands the other night and he ended up clipping a track vehicle. People need to be aware of what is happening on the track and know where they're at but at the same time, a track has to at least make an effort to keep fans safe, without them the track doesn't function.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flatout, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Volusia - WOO Sprints... Car goes into the stands. PRAYERS.