IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Roadsters and little 500
2/15/17, 8:31 AM   #11
Re: Roadsters and little 500
ossuks

I totally disagree with letting the "Roadster" style car return...My worry would be someone would build a car that dominated and would obsolete the present car. There are constructors like Danny Drianan that can build incredible machines. Then you would have one off Little 500 cars and the owners would either spend outlandish amounts of money or go away....I think the majority would go away!

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtracer74, erich45, tirespinner, Tony74
2/15/17, 9:12 AM   #12
hairracer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
I totally disagree with letting the "Roadster" style car return...My worry would be someone would build a car that dominated and would obsolete the present car. There are constructors like Danny Drianan that can build incredible machines. Then you would have one off Little 500 cars and the owners would either spend outlandish amounts of money or go away....I think the majority would go away!
The entire idea of this race anymore is one off. The cost involved in running this race to truly win is I would assume pretty big. You have guys with Indy Car style fuel set up on sprint cars, you basicly need to do a rebuild of around $5000 or more after running this race and the tire bill has to be huge.

As far as building one off cars it has been done in the past and none really dominate. Most teams are struggling to come up with money to race the season now so to put crazy amounts of money into a car just to race once a year, I don't see but maybe a handful if that building special cars. Even if they did you will still have guys show up just to say they ran the Little 500.

The sport need events like these and the different types cars showing up would be a bigger draw to the fans if promoted correctly. Remember when Foyt bet the rear engine cars in an upright dirt car. Fans love an underdog and want to see innovation and we need that in our sport.

Let them run most guys will bring and older roadster from out of the cobwebs to run and not build a special car.

4 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, Ryan Uhrick, Speedwrench
2/15/17, 9:36 AM   #13
Tony74

I would easily say there are twice as many standard pavement cars sitting than any roadsters that may be out there. Keeping rules as is, to try and attract that larger car owner pool makes sense.

The roadsters are neat no doubt and have a some history at the Little 5.

Hairracer44
The quick fuelers aren't "Indycar" style beside a top plate they are on a few hundred stock cars, and it's very easy to run more than a race on a motor.

2/15/17, 10:23 AM   #14
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Let them run. It may spawn a whole new world of pavement sprint car racing that doesn't exist. Remember friends pavement sprint car racing does not exist.

4 members like this post: Indy1808, mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
2/15/17, 10:34 AM   #15
Dragginbutt

Having grown up in the days of the roadsters popping up, I can say they were very quick, but they failed to win everything. Of course we are talking a time when a guy who ran a local garage would cobble together something and go racing. It wasn't a deep pockets deal like they are today. I recall a guy named Harry Turner who built some remarkable race cars that were far and away technologically advanced and didn't beat the pants off everyone. The whole history of open wheel racing has been constantly moved forward by tinkerers and doing things differently. One offs, and short run machines are always there. It wasn't so much that one car dominated that ruined the racing, it was more a case of the sanctioning bodies stepping in and taking direct action to stifle the ingenuity that was coming along. Making the cars all the same, use of wider tires, high horsepower motors and exotic metals has led to increasing costs and lower car counts than anything.
Last edited by Dragginbutt; 2/15/17 at 10:37 AM. Reason: corrected spelling errors

2/15/17, 12:46 PM   #16
ossuks

Look at the level this message board has come to....people disagreeing with each other and no name calling

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtball, oppweld, PJ Wright, ronmil, tirespinner, TQ29m
2/15/17, 1:05 PM   #17
55fan

I loved seeing Arnie Knepper's midget roadster@ Lake Hill Speedway back in the day.
Attached Images
arnie 006.jpg (41.4 KB, 120 views)

2/15/17, 6:28 PM   #18
ThrowbackRacingTeam

How about narrow, hard tires for pavement only cars and wide, soft tires for true dirt cars. That might even them out and there are hundreds of dirt sprint cars out there.

3 members like this post: Indy1808, jdull99, oppweld
2/15/17, 6:51 PM   #19
stoney

I forget the guys name; But he would build a one off special, never did any good,was not real fast. # 77 Maybe chet phillip?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/15/17, 7:03 PM   #20
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
I forget the guys name; But he would build a one off special, never did any good,was not real fast. # 77 Maybe chet phillip?
Yes he also was the 1999 winner in dick fullers stl car (regular sprint)

First time I met Chet we were at his brothers shop on gasoline Alley he was building the first creation, we looked at it ,it was just the frame ,one of the guys I was with asked what is that ,he looked at him like he had three heads and then he said it's a sprint car we just looked at Him and said oh OK 😀
Last edited by interpreter66; 2/15/17 at 7:07 PM.

2 members like this post: LB, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Roadsters and little 500