IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To 5 bar or Not To 5 bar?
2/22/17, 11:23 AM   #11
Re: To 5 bar or Not To 5 bar?
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
Uhm, I'm not trying to be contradictory, but I watched that several times, paused, slow-mo'd and nothing I saw was effected at all by there being an anti-roll bar up front... You say the throttle hangs, then he carries the frontend(wheelie), but then the car starts to pitch over to the right before the frontend even drops. There was some sort of failure, but nothing to suggest the anti-roll bar was related to it. If I'm missing something please explain.
The sway bar has the ability to dig into the ground (as it does in this video) when dropping the front end very hard. What happened is that the throttle stuck, he pulled hard back up off the gas, the right front part of the sway bar caught the ground as it twisted and he went flipping.

The idea of the sway bar is smart. It gives you left rear drive when the track is drying off, but I'd rather not have the bar sticking out there for it to catch like it did on Hockett's car.

2/22/17, 2:33 PM   #12
Mattmac05

Quote:
Uhm, I'm not trying to be contradictory, but I watched that several times, paused, slow-mo'd and nothing I saw was effected at all by there being an anti-roll bar up front... You say the throttle hangs, then he carries the frontend(wheelie), but then the car starts to pitch over to the right before the frontend even drops. If you watch, the rear actually jumps up off the ground before the nose can dig in. There was some sort of failure, but nothing to suggest the anti-roll bar was related to it. If I'm missing something please explain.
He would of flipped nonetheless, but if u watch the video it goes from starting to flip, to a violent end over end, the sway bar didn't necessarily cause the flip but it definitely made it more violent.

2/22/17, 3:42 PM   #13
TKRacing

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not sure you can put the blame on the sway bar for making that crash so violent. I don't thinkle the car came down far enough for that bar to start that flip. As far as making it worse I don't think it did that either. It didn't matter sway car, bumper, or torsion rack. When the nose came down and it started to go over any of those 3 things were going to launch that car. If I remember correctly the DRC sway bar is up 2 or 3 inches. Maxims are straight out so if the sway bar caused that I think we would see it more often then we do. One freak accident such as that should not be a deciding factor on if you use or do not use a sway bar. I know many times I sat the nose down hard in both a DRC and Maxim and never had any issues. Not saying it can't happen, but that accident should not be a reason to run or not run one.

2/22/17, 4:10 PM   #14
stoney

Quote:
Uhm, I'm not trying to be contradictory, but I watched that several times, paused, slow-mo'd and nothing I saw was effected at all by there being an anti-roll bar up front... You say the throttle hangs, then he carries the frontend(wheelie), but then the car starts to pitch over to the right before the frontend even drops. If you watch, the rear actually jumps up off the ground before the nose can dig in. There was some sort of failure, but nothing to suggest the anti-roll bar was related to it. If I'm missing something please explain.
You start the thread; you ask a question Now you want to argue with somebody What a jackass!

1 member likes this post: 2rock21
2/22/17, 4:43 PM   #15
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
You start the thread; you ask a question Now you want to argue with somebody What a jackass!
No, he just wants to make sure the advice is correct....
This isn't Hoseheads....

2/22/17, 8:23 PM   #16
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRacing View Post
It was a DRC
Couldnt remember for sure it has been a few years. They pitted right beside us that night. Jesse said the sway bar dug in when he got the throttle popped loose. I trust the guy whose ass was in the seat to know what happened. Now if some still want to review the video and argue about it, have fun.

2 members like this post: JordanBlanton, ryan84
2/22/17, 8:42 PM   #17
TKRacing

Well then I stand corrected. I was going off memory from the shop that next day. I've taken a few hard hits since then, but I still feel as though you should not make your decision just because of this one incident.

2/22/17, 8:59 PM   #18
Go Fast

I agree. Both my current cars are Spike 5 bar cars. I used it some with Cottle, not at all with Hunter. Just whatever the driver dujour felt they wanted at the time.

1 member likes this post: jscott101
2/23/17, 12:01 AM   #19
2starcar

It's a tool like anything else, it can be used to make you faster if used correctly, when I raced sprint cars I loved what it did for the car in the way it reacted especially in the slick.

2/23/17, 10:10 AM   #20
Aces&Eights

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
No, he just wants to make sure the advice is correct....
This isn't Hoseheads....
Thank you, I thought I was respectful when I asked for clarification... I left 4M because the trolls got so bad over there.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > To 5 bar or Not To 5 bar?