Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Another Track Closing
1/5/12, 10:36 PM   #1
Another Track Closing
flatout

Looks like KC/Atomic Speedway is closing down:

http://www.onedirt.com/news/news-rum...-running-wild/

http://www.pitgate.com/showthread.php?tid=12653

I know this is more of a winged track, but it is one of the best shaped/sized tracks in the country for sprint cars. Sad to see, wish it would be sold to someone who wants to run it.

1/5/12, 11:30 PM   #2
Re: Another Track Closing
JETFXR

Was there to shoot the DTWC sanctioned by Lucas Oil.I do some work with the late models and enjoy them very much.That show sealed the fate of the place.It could be a nice joint if someone knew how to prepare a track surface.

1/5/12, 11:37 PM   #3
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETFXR View Post
Was there to shoot the DTWC sanctioned by Lucas Oil.I do some work with the late models and enjoy them very much.That show sealed the fate of the place.It could be a nice joint if someone knew how to prepare a track surface.
Kc is meant to be dry slick and up against the wall. Anything tacky with winged sprints there and it is follow the leader

Posted via Mobile Device

1/5/12, 11:59 PM   #4
JETFXR

Wow dry slick that is an understatement.Only 100 lap race I have ever been to that had no lapped cars.Or maybe I missed it because you could not see the track for the dust.

1/6/12, 2:19 AM   #5
sprinter14

The 100 lap DTWC in October had nothing to do with the current situation. The promoter who just gave it up was in trouble halfway through last season. Nobody is surprised by this news.

Now, keep in mind K-C was "closed" right before the last promoter jumped in. Pretty good way to sell the place is to scare everyone into thinking it won't be here anymore.

K-C Raceway is too nice of a place and the owners want to see it racing too. If everyone will just be patient ..........

1/6/12, 2:22 AM   #6
smith19

We had many feature wins at atomic back in the early 70's with george harbour as our driver. The track was not slick back then. It was also non wing until 72-73.
Attached Images
fcabc0b7_344628 (2).jpg (336.3 KB, 102 views)
Last edited by smith19; 1/6/12 at 2:29 AM.

1 member likes this post: sprinter14
1/6/12, 8:08 AM   #7
kcarm92

we ran our modified there in november pretty neat place, kinda remined me of kamps speedway, on another note we got stuck with a bad check from them for our winnings.

1/6/12, 8:49 AM   #8
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
we ran our modified there in november pretty neat place, kinda remined me of kamps speedway, on another note we got stuck with a bad check from them for our winnings.
Not a surprise to me. It took me over two months to get my refund for the rained out USAC show a couple of years ago (with a couple calls/emails). When they sent it back, they charged me for the stamp to send me my own money. Place never seemed very well run under them.

I agree, I don't see the place closing for good, it is a nice facility so I'm sure something will happen down the road.

1/6/12, 11:32 AM   #9
flatout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
Hate to hear that. I am really hoping that the track can find the right owner and get back on its feet. Too good of a track to lose. Didn't help that they haven't run a consistent schedule for the last 8-10 years or so.

1/6/12, 11:43 AM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETFXR View Post
Thing is, Many who ran there did so because it was hard slick and didn't eat motors. At least thats what a couple Im told who live much closer to other tracks and run there instead.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Another Track Closing