4 Crown
John P Huss

Any Thoughts Or Comments?
Best Regards,
John

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, tirespinner
9/24/23, 3:55 PM   #2
diversified

I thought it was a great event. Dominant performances across three USAC divisions by Logan Seavey. AllStar win and championship for Zeb Wise. Both got the four wins running the top on treacherous razor thin cushion. Solid second for Matt Westfall in Silver Crown. Efficiently run program, only delays were for qualifying flips (Bacon and Moles), a 6 car crash in the sprint B main and the wicked Avedisian/Meseraul midget flips. Solid crowd, great weather, plenty of action and story lines in all divisions.

9/24/23, 5:43 PM   #3
Re: 4 Crown
JJMooney

A few of my thoughts on the weekend…

Hats off to Logan Seavey. He becomes the third driver in Eldora history to win three USAC division mains in one night during the 4-Crown. He joins at elite list with Jack Hewitt and Kyle Larson. That was great to witness in person.

The crowd: I went Friday and Saturday. The crowd both nights was larger than I can remember for a 4-Crown weekend. I’m sure the great weather helped. Is it a King’s Royal crowd? No. But the North Lot was chock full of campers and from where I was sitting, the spectator count looked pretty darn good Friday and even bigger on Saturday.

Speaking of places to sit - Sitting in the turn three bleachers is the way to go. I felt I had a much better view there then anywhere I’ve ever sat at Eldora. And I've sat everywhere at that place. Plus, with the wind coming out of the east both nights, dust wasn’t an issue. At all. In all the years I’d been coming to Eldora, it was the first time I didn’t need goggles.

I might get vilified here, but I thought both the WoO feature Friday and the ASCoC feature Saturday were the two best mains of the weekend. The ASCoC also had some intense drama with the driver and owner's point championships on the line. Watching both Rico and Zeb Wise run against that wall Saturday night was just spectacular. Until...it bit Rico with four laps to go.

Of all the USAC main events, I thought Saturday night’s midget feature was the best one. For a brief moment, it looked like Bryant Wiederman just might make the bottom work and pull off a win. However, Logan said it best in victory lane “You don’t win Eldora by running the bottom.” That quote should be etched in stone at the pit gate.

As for the midgets, I know Eldora has never drawn a great field. They’ve always struggled to get 20 cars for as long as I can remember. I wish something could be done to help draw more midgets as their racing can be just spectacular at Eldora. The big questions of the weekend were “Where was Buddy Kofoid?" and "Where was Cannon McIntosh?”

A couple of other stories from the Silver Crown race: 1. PA’s Chase Dietz qualifying fifth and leading the first 9 laps of the Silver Crown feature, eventually coming home with a third place finish. 2. Tyler Courtney, starting dead last in the field as a last-minute sub for Brady Bacon and methodically working his way up to an 8th place finish.

Even with the Silver Crown feature taking the checkered at 1AM, most of the crowd stayed to the very end. And I didn't hear anyone complaining as there was just non-stop racing and very little downtime. There must be a lot of people there at Eldora who are just like me. They know racing season is almost over. You just want to see every lap while you still can.

9/25/23, 5:16 AM   #4
Hubie48

Really enjoyed the racing

would like to know why Buddy Kofoid was not participating. The reports from Gas City on Thursday, Buddy said he was going to be running the 4 Crown and the BC39.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mlamb
9/25/23, 8:26 AM   #5
The Old Coyote

Why did Courtney sub for Bacon?

9/25/23, 8:29 AM   #6
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post
Why did Courtney sub for Bacon?
As Gilda Radnar said, "Never mind". I just read Vookie's post.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, TQ29m
9/25/23, 10:37 AM   #7
snowdrift

Bacon hand a eye injury with something happened in the pits when it was working on the cars and they put T C in silver crown car for feature

9/25/23, 10:49 AM   #8
mlamb

I enjoyed both days of the 4 crown. Interesting to watch Tanner Holmes (WoO) in what I believe was his first time there.
I thought the crowds both nights were really solid weather was beautiful both days other than a stiff east wind.
Tough to see Bacon have a tough Saturday.
Hated to see so much equipment get tore up.
Had a really cool 15 minute conversation with Zeb Wise early Saturday morning. He’s mature above his years and well spoken.
Met up with a couple of new friends tailgating from Wisconsin Saturday good people and good times. I enjoyed my weekend.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing
9/25/23, 11:36 AM   #9
B99

Racing was very good. I love Eldora. And yes, I know its out in the middle of nowhere, but I still find it ridiculous they can't end the Four Crown program before midnite. The do a good job of keeping the program moving, but absent reasons for a delay (accidents, weather, etc...) there should be no reason to be pushing a main off after midnite.

4 members like this post: Hubie48, PIT CART, tirespinner, TQ97
9/25/23, 2:37 PM   #10
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
Racing was very good. I love Eldora. And yes, I know its out in the middle of nowhere, but I still find it ridiculous they can't end the Four Crown program before midnite. The do a good job of keeping the program moving, but absent reasons for a delay (accidents, weather, etc...) there should be no reason to be pushing a main off after midnite.
People (a female dog) about this every year. It's 4 Crown plan on it being a late night if that bothers you stay home.

Moles trying to knock a fence post out of the ground and a fence repair. Brady making a rare mistake. Big midget wreck. I could go on. Weren't these enough reasons why the show was what you would call late or after midnight?

They have tried to speed up the show and it helps with Silver Crown time trails and Last Chance Showdown on Friday night.

Share your plan with us to speed up the show.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Duane Hancock, erich45, mc/rider
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 4 Crown