IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It has begun the end of Fairgrounds Speedway
8/9/10, 10:52 PM   #11
Re: It has begun the end of Fairgrounds Speed
Vertigo

Are there no auctions scheduled to sell off memorabilia or "a part of history"?

I'd buy a brick or a sign or something.
Last edited by Vertigo; 8/9/10 at 10:53 PM.

8/10/10, 12:13 AM   #12
okienonwingfan

The city and wrecking company only really gave us two days to collect stuff. They are keeping the lights, alum. bleacher seats and scoreboard for a new track. So they say.

They have no plans to auction anything off. The want the grandstands down by next month because the State Fair of Oklahoma starts then. What is kinda ironic is that racing at the fair would always bring huge crowds and we would have numerous regional series come and race. They did have a midget race during the state fair about 20 years ago or so.

8/10/10, 5:07 PM   #13
Vertigo

When I lived in OKC in the 70's there were races almost every night of the fair. Late models, IMCA sprint cars, motorcycles and several nights of MAR*CAR super modified and modified races. We went every year. I even remember going to a stair fair champ dirtcar race as late as '83.

Being able to hear the cars hot lapping from the midway as all the advertising they needed back then as racing was just part of the fair. As it was at many fairs back then.
Last edited by Vertigo; 8/10/10 at 5:10 PM.

8/10/10, 8:12 PM   #14
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

What a real shame always hate seeing this happen. I have 2 tracks 35 miles in opposite directions here in Illinois going dark the rest of the season. Another a little over an hour away.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...nois+tracks%27
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It has begun the end of Fairgrounds Speedway