Register! Forgot Password?
captrat (Offline)
  #31 2/26/19 11:57 PM
What, no Larry Dickson!
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #32 2/27/19 2:12 AM
Originally Posted by captrat:
What, no Larry Dickson!
And you can't have Dickson without Gary B.
scottyCbus (Offline)
  #33 2/27/19 8:39 AM
Steve Kinser, Bryan Clauson, Bob Kinser, Jack Hewitt

Here's the skinny for me on my picks, Steve Kinser well because he is simply the best and my favorite of all time! BC is on here not because he is no longer with us but because he is certainly 1A for me as my favorite driver ever. The things I got to witness that kid do in a race car is just simply amazing. Bob Kinser he was one of the first drivers I got to meet as a little boy at the racetrack and he was just one of the guys to beat here in Indiana for along time! Jack Hewitt it's just simply that Jack can drive anything and has and done it all at the highest level.
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #34 2/27/19 10:14 AM
A.J. Foyt
Mario Andretti
Parnelli Jones
Steve Kinser
flatout (Offline)
  #35 2/27/19 10:26 AM
So hard to do when mixing generation of drivers. Will try and blend: Andretti, Foyt, S. Kinser, Schatz. I’m going to add a fifth in Jack Hewitt, probably one of the most versatile short track driver ever.
ISF (Offline)
  #36 2/27/19 11:43 AM
"Open Wheel" is a big category and is objectively impossible to narrow the field down to just 4. My intent is not to go too far afield but for the sake of fairness I feel specific open wheel categories are necessary.

Indy Car is obvious to anyone who has any sense of history:

A.J.
Mario
Big Al
Rocket Rick

Silver Crown is almost as obvious as Indy Car:

Jack
Chuck
Cody
Sills

Sprint Cars is where it gets very dicey but there are a couple that are obvious:

Steve Kinser
DD
Donnie Schatz
Jack Hewitt---------Jack is in two categories because #1. We all love the guy. #2. He won a ton of races driving both wing cars and wingless cars against some very tough competition in both types of cars.

Midgets are almost as dicey as Sprints but again, a couple are obvious:

Mel Kenyon
Bob Tattersall
Stan Fox
Rich Vogler

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
4 Likes: EBookerFan, jim goerge, mc/rider, superstock30
davidm (Offline)
  #37 2/27/19 5:07 PM
Tommy Hinnershitz
Ted Horn
Jan Opperman
Steve Kinser
4 Likes: jim goerge, jzf9kh, nathans1012, Speedwrench
mr g (Offline)
  #38 2/27/19 6:29 PM
A Team
AJ Foyt
Steve Kinser
Rick Volger
Opperman

B Team
Tony Stewart
Gary B
Jack Hewitt
Schatz
EBookerFan (Offline)
  #39 2/28/19 3:54 PM
I am a oldtimer so my picks will be in 2 stages
First stage]: Horn
Foyt
Jones
Andretti
Second stage: S Kinser
Vogler
Hewitt
Schatz
Where does this leave the rest of the greats of open wheel racing? Such as Ruttman, D Carter,Branson, the UNsers, McClusky, Gary B, Dickson, P Carter, O'Connor,Hinnershitz,Hurtibise,Larson,Kenyon,Darla nd,Swindell,Clauson and the list goes on and on.
WinglessLovers (Offline)
  #40 2/28/19 5:21 PM
This is a very tough question. After much deliberation here are my picks: Tommy Hinnershitz, Steve Kinser, Sammy Swindell and Donny Schatz. Very difficult to leave out many deserving drivers from both present and the past. Many good votes put in by fellow IOW'ers. Hard to pick just four. Enjoyed reading all of the ones posted.

Bruce Eckel