IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar Back to Richmond
9/1/19, 6:41 PM   #11
Re: IndyCar Back to Richmond
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'd dare to say, That if Indy wasn't it's namesake. They'd of left it a long time ago. Too dangerous.

3 members like this post: 3R, flagboy55, PIT CART
9/1/19, 7:06 PM   #12
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I'd dare to say, That if Indy wasn't it's namesake. They'd of left it a long time ago. Too dangerous.
Nah. If you’re talking about IMS, as long as they’re getting 250,000+ fans at those ticket prices, they wouldn’t leave no matter what happened. Even if it didn’t have the history (granted, that’s a huge part of why so many fans attend), they could never walk away from that kind of money.

1 member likes this post: dirt330
9/1/19, 7:26 PM   #13
Non wing lover

And that sucks glad Richmond's back but losing Pocono sucks we need more ovals not less

9/2/19, 10:30 AM   #14
SoIllSprinter

Agree. I attended Gateway recently and it was a good show. I think more ovals of the 1 to 1 1/2 mile variety would help this series gain popularity. The Gateway crowd was 43,000 or so and it was a heckuva show.

4 members like this post: Bostonian, chrismattlin, jdull99, ronmil
9/2/19, 11:47 AM   #15
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIllSprinter View Post
Agree. I attended Gateway recently and it was a good show. I think more ovals of the 1 to 1 1/2 mile variety would help this series gain popularity. The Gateway crowd was 43,000 or so and it was a heckuva show.
It’s a shame Pikes Peak isn’t a viable place for a race anymore. That’s a 1 mile oval that would fit nicely into a late season swing to the west coast. Gateway, PPIR, Portland, Laguna Seca.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, EltoJoe
9/2/19, 12:21 PM   #16
jonboat15

What ever happened to the PPIR track? Back in the day it seemed like a pretty nice track. I'm not really a road race fan but on natural courses they can be bearable. Tracks I'd like to see Indy cars on. IMS, Michigan, Milwaukee, Richmond, Gateway, New Hampshire, The oval in Miami.... OK, I'll stop.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
9/2/19, 12:56 PM   #17
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Might as well run 1/4 miles if safety is such a big concern. No one even got hurt at Pocono this year. Bunch of rich, second rate cry babies that would never make a midget A-main.

9/2/19, 2:51 PM   #18
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

On a side not I wish IndyCar and Cleveland could get together and bring back the race at the Burke Lake Front Airport. I thought that was always a good race. Loved watching them go 5 / 6 wide on the start and re-starts into turn 1. That's my only grip about the current schedule.

I agree on having more ovals on the schedule - Milwaukee, Michigan.

If Atlanta was still a true oval pre-1996 that would have been a good race <> wish full thinking. I think they screwed up that track when they reconfigured it.
Last edited by nathans1012; 9/2/19 at 2:59 PM.

9/2/19, 3:34 PM   #19
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
On a side not I wish IndyCar and Cleveland could get together and bring back the race at the Burke Lake Front Airport. I thought that was always a good race. Loved watching them go 5 / 6 wide on the start and re-starts into turn 1. That's my only grip about the current schedule.

I agree on having more ovals on the schedule - Milwaukee, Michigan.
Unfortunately, IndyCar has already moved on to other courses in each of those markets. They aren’t likely to ever go back to the (perceived as) more dangerous ovals or Cleveland when they are getting good crowds at the tracks they race at now. I doubt that they would schedule more than 1 race in any market other than Indy.

9/2/19, 4:04 PM   #20
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Unfortunately, IndyCar has already moved on to other courses in each of those markets. They aren’t likely to ever go back to the (perceived as) more dangerous ovals or Cleveland when they are getting good crowds at the tracks they race at now. I doubt that they would schedule more than 1 race in any market other than Indy.
Cleveland and Mid-Ohio used to be on the same schedule. Like I said Cleveland was always a good race in my opinion.

If i remember correctly same with Michigan and Detriot Belle-Isle races.

Hell I'd like to see IndyCar at IRP but we all know that will never happen.
Last edited by nathans1012; 9/2/19 at 4:06 PM.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar Back to Richmond