IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why wings for 305 class?
10/14/14, 12:15 PM   #61
Joltin Joe

So will it be Flat top or dish wings?...Used dish wings are easier to to come by being no one in the higher level Wing class are aloud to run them. As for the tire rule if they make them run the Hooiser Medium that would mean a 305 guy from another track will have to buy that tire. Same goes for the H15 or the spec Racesaver tire...
The best thing to do it a open tire rule and any top wing. That would make it less costly for the lower buck guys. They can go out and buy any used top wing and any tires they want.

1 member likes this post: Racer12
10/14/14, 12:27 PM   #62
Re: Why wings for 305 class?
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWScaleChassis View Post
I never meant any offense with the old age thing. But as for your comment on 'dying off' as morbid as it sounds, realistically its true.

I'm 22. From Arizona, now living in SC. Never been to Indiana, only seen videos and TV shows. Would LOVE to get up there and see my share of action, but I'll need long sleeves to hide my tattoos...

Really don't wanna see any tracks fall through the cracks before I get there though. And If I gotta sit through an abomination like the cursed 'Winged Cars' in order to see what is Indiana Sprint Car racing, I think I'll tolerate it...
I sincerely respect your right to your opinion. However, I think it would have much more validity if it was based upon the following: 1) real life exposure as opposed to media i.e. movies, videos, etc. 2) direct experience with what one is opining about; in my case I know the older I got the smarter my father became 3) tattoos, no issue but they are sometimes a "permanent reminder of a temporary feeling" to quote Jimmy Buffett. I certainly welcome younger fans as yourself because as you correctly say, they are much needed by our sport.

10/14/14, 12:42 PM   #63
Racer12

My whole reason to start this was it flat doesn't make sense money wise for the teams. They chose the higher priced 305 engine rules, and also put wings on them. Why??? Why not ask the racers to attend a meeting to explore the idea before announcing the package? Why doesnt the track participate in ANY of these public discussions? Wings, $7,500 engines and a Hoosier tire rule have been proven to NOT save teams ANY money, period! I yet again ask those who participate in this discussion to have facts not opinion to add. Still have yet to see any one person have a fact that makes sense why the wings need to be on them. There is a reason why no tracks in Indiana run wings. I was around and participating in the races when Put and Kokomo were the only non wing tracks. If there is a reason for the wings I am all ears. But I can see no logical reason to add $2,000 of aluminum to a race operation plus the maint/repair/replace expenses. The fact that I have not seen anything from those who propose this idea bothers me. Are they listening? I would love to speak with some one from the track about this. To me non wing cars with $5,000 or less engines and use same tires that race on current cars makes much more sense to me.

Bob

5 members like this post: BeerCloud, captrat, Charles Nungester, jim goerge, mscs20
10/14/14, 12:43 PM   #64
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Indiana has come a long ways pal ! They now have a tattoo/piercing section so that u can set with those of your kind and feel " normal".

The previous statement was heavily laced with sarcasm and God awful grammar
Last edited by dirt in ur beer; 10/14/14 at 12:45 PM.

2 members like this post: kart31rac, SWScaleChassis
10/14/14, 12:50 PM   #65
PIT CART

In my opinion a underpowered 305 without a wing would be a tommy tip over show. I have seen a lot of guys get out of trouble by gassing it up. Jmo

1 member likes this post: KKinser99
10/14/14, 12:53 PM   #66
KKinser99

The engine rules are great in my opinion! Flat lifters, No roller cams, wet sump, spec head. Someone can spend 7000 if they want but but not required. build your own motor and have it sealed. I think it can be done for 4000 to 5000. Roller cam setup is the biggest problem for failure of the 410's. roller lifter with the bar that prevents rotation is a weak point. these break and destroy other components.

1 member likes this post: Bill May
10/14/14, 1:04 PM   #67
Fox.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
I would love to speak with some one from the track about this.

Bob
Bloomington Speedway 1-812-824-7400 They may be able to help with any questions

5 members like this post: HurstBros0, Kellen Conover, Leohr46, Rex W., sprintracer82
10/14/14, 2:36 PM   #68
Rex W.

I'd think Knoxville raceways 305 rules are higher priced than the race saver 305 rules

10/14/14, 2:57 PM   #69
KKinser99

I believe knoxville has non roller cam engines as well. They do allow some additional head options and also some titanium internal parts.

10/14/14, 3:07 PM   #70
PIT CART

I have an idea, the people that hate running wings try it for one year. Then sell them in the off season along with the 305 build a 410. When I got my first Harley it was a sportster rode it for a while then bought a softail.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why wings for 305 class?