IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Share Your Story
7/2/15, 2:58 PM   #31
tdt636

I first met Bill in high school. I was a junior and he was a freshman. We ran cross country together and raced for last place. Bill later informed me that after I graduated, it turned out he was a pretty good runner. Bill was the Best Man in my wedding and during the ceremony all I could hear in my right ear was Ward Burton thanking me for having him in my wedding! Bill did a dead on Ward Burton impression.

My brother and I took Bill to Eldora for the first time. On the ride over there we told him how great the track was and the racing was awesome. He was disappointed when we told him the pits were in the infield so we couldn't stand on the trailer but we promised him we had the most incredible spot to watch the races from....up against the fence, between turns 1 and 2. On the way over to watch hotlaps I told Bill if watching the races from there didn't give him a "woody", something was wrong. After hotlaps, on the way back to the trailer he asked if Brian had any duct tape. I told him it was in the toolbox and asked why he needed duct tape. With that smile of his he said "Cause you were right. Thats was awesome and now I have a "woody". I better duct tape it to my belly before anyone sees!!!"

You get a friend like Bill only once in a lifetime and I'm hinored to call him one of my very best friends. Love ya and miss ya buddy

7/5/15, 5:15 PM   #32
Re: Share Your Story
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well in all honestly I met Shondra a year before Bill in 2011 Sprintweek, when Bob Clauson with his Sprint only perch sitting in the top row introduced her to me as she was sitting in the row between us. She said she'd introduce Bill if he came over. I don't think he ever did as Hayden and him were running both Sprints and Mods.

Finally Sprintweek 2012 Bill comes over and cracks some jokes with us up by the cemetery early in the day. He came back a little later as well and chatted. After we all filled our guts on a gigantic spread for Spiker Enterprises that he seemed to have enough food for the entire early arrivals and campers and invited everyone over to the tent.

2013 Bill and Shondra came by again on the golf kart. This was the first time I'd seen them together. Bill was in obvious pain but not complaining. I later said hi again as I got a T shirt as Shondra had put one my size aside TY, I wear it to this very day.

To say I knew Bill is not true, I met him a couple times and chatted a bit on IOW. I admired how he ran the board. At times there was stuff that dissapeared and I never questioned that. That was to keep the peace and those who wouldn't didn't last long.

I admired Bill for what he did for racing, being a good husband and being a reasonable man. He even PMed me to help me with a problem a couple days before he passed and I knew he was in pain.

All I can say is thanks Bill and Shondra for a great way to meet people, discuss events, racing etc and KEEPING THE PEACE!
Chuck

7/6/15, 12:39 AM   #33
Re: Share Your Story
jim goerge

I first saw Bill at LPS riding his golf cart only I didn't know it was Bill I thought it was Spiker cuz he was stopping and talking seemed like to everyone ya know promoting. I wasn;t a member yet but I was checking out this site kind of lurking . Over that winter I joined this site and MSCS and we had LPS on the schedule and Bill was bringing out the new IOW shirts I sent him a PM about could he hold one for me till we raced there . he said he'd try but my size (big) were going fast. Well the day MSCS was going to race was sunny for awhile but quickly became nasty dark clouds I walked over to one of the building at the track and asked what were we going to do when I heard a voice say Jim and it came from the guy I thought was Spiker . Bill and I talked about half a hour then the sky's opened up Bill looked at me and asked Guess you want a ride back to your truck I said hell yeah and he acted like cart wouldn't start then he laughed and told me to climb on then he drove me back to MSCS truck rained out . Next time he came by the MSCS trailer he told me Come on take a ride so we rode around just talking when I said some off the wall s##t and he stopped and looked at me I thought I was going to have to walk back when he got that ornery smile on his face and said I agree with ya . We talked whenever I went to LPS, at the end of the season I had a heart attack and Bill PM'ed me for my phone number and we talked a couple of times I got down on myself thinking I was done and Bill got little loud on the phone telling me not to give up and that's when he told me about his problems. I think about how he had his problem and yet he's telling me to keep fighting. I wish he was still around cuz I have his problem now and love to chat with him about it . I keep remembering his Don't you ever give up and Mrs. G telling me to keep fighting the fight . Man I miss that golf cart

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DirtHawk92, Jerry Shaw, Mrs G
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Share Your Story