IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora racing surface?
9/24/17, 7:05 PM   #21
Re: Eldora racing surface?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemmer View Post
Charles I'm talking about other threads other years that you said You wouldn't go back unless something changed. The biggest beef with ya is saying it was so dusty that you couldn't see cars on the track. Ya I'm sure if you was sitting in turn 1 that might be the case but then move because there was other parts of the track you could see every thing.
I had the perfect seat, I was just beyond the roof on the top of the patio seat four in a lawn chair with legroom, cooler, even though I was buying water and power-aid instead of the pop I brought. I could see everything except right there in one where the dust cloud was piling in. All that dust was going beyond me into those stands in one and two and the hillside seating. still had to take a good shower and have a car that is still covered in dirt after 130 miles of driving (That I expect at about any dirt track. But not walls of dust) Like I said many of them Earl shows had waves of dust in the features but it was pretty even and you could still see. Just seemed last night that every time the cars cut into one it just threw plumes up.into the wall and it was just a blind spot to us up there until the consi's and features when the track actually quit blowing dust and sealed over..

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for things to be, or get better. Most things have, except the surface itself IMHO.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/24/17, 7:49 PM   #22
smith19

hold on guys they just had their weekends mixed up a little, they prepped the track for late models...j/k

9/24/17, 7:50 PM   #23
FALCONEDDIE

We attended 4 Crown at Eldora about 3 or 4 years ago and had to leave when sprint car race began, couldn't see the cars the dust was so bad no use in staying. We were sitting in turn 4 and dust just lifted and fell all over us. We are dirt trackers formerly from the great dirt tracks of New York and there were dust problems there also. and there still are at some tracks. But I didn't expect at Eldora cfould be that bad. I could remember the night at Volusia Speedway Park when Earl B. was heading out of the grandstands and said "I can't stand this _______." There is material that can be bought now that helps to keep the dust down that is approved by EPA. But you have to buy it and USE IT!
I paid my $29.95 and sat in my living room and watched the whole live video streamed show - Absolutely NO DUST and hit the bed at 1:30 and didn't even have to hit the showers!!!LOL I do think it would have been appropriate to put some water on, during some of the down time and it may have helped a little with the racing. BUT WE ENJOYED IT!! and Thank everyone for putting it on, there was some really good racing.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
9/24/17, 7:59 PM   #24
tamati

To much talking the tracked prep sucked. Went Terre haute the weekend before no dust on the first set of hot laps.Tony should be ashamed.

5 members like this post: captrat, duel, FALCONEDDIE, tirespinner, treecitytornado
9/24/17, 8:13 PM   #25
btg1963

I don't know what the happy medium is anymore. Many of the same folks complaining in this post about the track preparation at Eldora have also complained about Tom Helfrich's tractor show at the best prepared dirt track on the planet -Tri State Speedway.....

Proof that some folks would complain if they were hung with a new rope....

Folks say they aren't going back to Eldora, yet they always go back! I learned my lesson about Eldora years ago... when I opened to the door to a porta potty and there was a pile of poo heaped up about 18". Swore I'd never go back and I never have. I attended many races at Earl's place, but between the porta potty experience and the drunk fest that is usually the norm, I haven't been back since 1990. I don't feel like I've missed a thing.... it's just not my cup of tea.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, RichH, trackprep
9/24/17, 8:32 PM   #26
grantman

Tony likes your money, he is not going to change anything.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART, tirespinner
9/24/17, 8:42 PM   #27
HDINDY

Hell I remember asking Bigelow after hot laps in 79 or 80 how the track was and he said same old dry slick track. So I think you boys wear rose colored glasses.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Can26, fish, GRAYBEARD, tirespinner
9/24/17, 9:11 PM   #28
Kydehart

I'll keep on saying it because I guess I like to be different, but I really enjoyed it. Track wasn't ideal. Most of the time, when I go to a race track the track is never ideal. Super hot day made it what it was. They tried and they kept everything moving. Had a great time watching holly go from 14th to 6th. Tmez was the one to watch in the sprint feature until bacon caught Leary and I thought the champ cars were great. Hats off to joss moffatt and the roger Williams team. Joss took a hard kick in qualifying and they put that thing back together and ran great in the feature. Loved that. Windom, cottle, Leary and Dave were racy the whole feature and ballou threw some haymakers even if they weren't sticking through the rubber. And hats off to nemires crew. He put the sprinter and the champ car in the fence and they got them both fixed. That was good work.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, tirespinner
9/24/17, 9:19 PM   #29
B99

Track prep is like Obamacare-everyone complains about it, everyone has a solution, but few can agree on what the fix is.

3 members like this post: OnTheHammer, tirespinner, trackprep
9/24/17, 9:34 PM   #30
RichH

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
Track prep is like Obamacare-everyone complains about it, everyone has a solution, but few can agree on what the fix is.
The realityIMO, is that many tracks have the fix-Haubstadt, Kokomo etc-- have the "fix" but for some reason Eldora chooses not to apply it. Why?

3 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora racing surface?