IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Nationals
9/22/17, 7:56 PM   #1
Gold Crown Nationals
hotrod32

Are the Gold Crown Nationals at Granite City a thing of the past and was POWRi part of the nail in the coffin ?

9/22/17, 9:12 PM   #2
Re: Gold Crown Nationals
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod32 View Post
Are the Gold Crown Nationals at Granite City a thing of the past and was POWRi part of the nail in the coffin ?
Wow. First post and you're slamming someone or something. For what reason?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/22/17, 9:54 PM   #3
Pat O'Connor Fan

I don't believe he was slamming; he asked 2 legitimate questions. It is not a big secret that POWRi is not a member of any USAC fan group.

4 members like this post: interpreter66, Jerry Shaw, opnwhlmnd, oppweld
9/22/17, 10:15 PM   #4
Sprint63122

Will say weather was probably the biggest factor always rained out and has for when it was stopped usac had taken over sanctioning of the event a couple years prior and we know how that story goes.

1 member likes this post: Speedwrench
9/22/17, 11:07 PM   #5
ISF

It didn't get rained out when they ran it in early September of 2015. We loved it since we were camping over at Du Quoin for the Horn Memorial and Southern Illinois 100. It's a little over an hour from Du Quoin and we made the trip.

That deal only lasted one year.

3 members like this post: Jbaldwin, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
9/23/17, 9:57 AM   #6
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan View Post
I don't believe he was slamming; he asked 2 legitimate questions. It is not a big secret that POWRi is not a member of any USAC fan group.
If you'd open your eyes you'd see that goes both ways.

9/23/17, 10:19 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
I disagree with that. When did USAC reschedule a rain date less than hour away from a POWRi event? Sad thing is St Louis area races are probably never going to run for that kind of money again. Selfishly I lost one of my favorite events. They are co sanctioning the Lefler Memorial in a couple of weeks.

9/23/17, 10:36 AM   #8
Jonr

Three factors killed the Gold Crown. The first was the weather. How many rain outs or near rain outs did they have? In many ways, a near rain out is worse than a rain out. A poor weather forecast will keep many fans at home or deter many fans from making the trip. However, the expenses at the track remain the same.

The second was POWRi. If memory serves me right, the first couple was co-sanctioned. Then POWRi didn't co-sanction, but they did not compete against the date. Finally, in the end, they started to sanction against the date.

Finally, many owners decided that Tri-City was a horsepower track and stopped coming. There have been other stand alone midget races that have not drawn a great car count.

It is a shame because I really loved that weekend.

5 members like this post: Dirtfan, jim goerge, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
9/23/17, 10:42 AM   #9
BrentTFunk

Actually Jon they made up a rain out at Bellville on that Saturday night. It was won by Austin Brown

3 members like this post: jim goerge, opnwhlmnd, tirespinner
9/23/17, 7:24 PM   #10
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
Well, POWRi did evolve from Gateway. I did personally hear the founder of Gateway (whose son has already been named in this thread) say that it was his intention to bury USAC midgets. Not to worry, though. USAC has done a fair job of that for years now all by themselves. I think I have my eyes open far more than you assume. I've been attending midget races since 1957, and that includes many sanctioning bodies in addition to USAC.

3 members like this post: Dirtfan, Steve Wendel, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Nationals