IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora racing surface?
9/24/17, 11:47 PM   #31
flagboy55

I could talk a lot about this subject but going to try to condense it. Friday night was good. The track was fast enough to get a couple sub 13 laps in qualifying, and that's when I appreciate the speed of the wing cars. I don't care where you stand on W vs NW, the speed is breathtaking. Going to Saturday the track was basically 2 seconds slower. I don't think it had to be that way, but obviously someone wants it that way. Not me. Anyway, you know it's going to be a good night when you randomly sit down next to a friend you made on IOW. Great to visit with kydehart and his wife during the races. We sat down towards one about 3 rows below the reserved seats. While we did get some dust,it wasn't bad. My complaint is that if we aren't going to get the old Eldora back, which we're not, then they have to figure out how to lower the infield or move the pits. Wasn't as much of a problem when everyone had to get up the track to go fast, but now that the bottom (regrettably) has become a factor, if you're not up in the top few rows, you can't see the cars running the low groove. I would say from where we were, it was at least a third of the track if not more was visually impaired. And about the dust and some of what Charles said, I think the effects of the dust, as far seeing through it are greatly affected by the angle of the lights and the way the lights reflect off it. For example you mentioned you wouldn't be surprised if Rico didn't see the wall, and from your angle that may well be true, but where I was the visibility didn't look terrible. Anyway, overall it was a good weekend of racing. As some of you said, could it have been better? Absolutely. But after last year's track rework problem, I think they were kind of playing it safe as far as adding water once the show began. I love Eldora, and probably always will, let's just hope that the powers that be continue to tweak things to be as good as it can be. One last thing, does anyone know if there's a good video with audio of Ballou's interview, I only heard parts of it

6 members like this post: bmemmer, erich45, FALCONEDDIE, Jbaldwin, Kydehart, tirespinner
9/25/17, 12:01 AM   #32
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I could talk a lot about this subject but going to try to condense it. Friday night was good. The track was fast enough to get a couple sub 13 laps in qualifying, and that's when I appreciate the speed of the wing cars. I don't care where you stand on W vs NW, the speed is breathtaking. Going to Saturday the track was basically 2 seconds slower. I don't think it had to be that way, but obviously someone wants it that way. Not me. Anyway, you know it's going to be a good night when you randomly sit down next to a friend you made on IOW. Great to visit with kydehart and his wife during the races. We sat down towards one about 3 rows below the reserved seats. While we did get some dust,it wasn't bad. My complaint is that if we aren't going to get the old Eldora back, which we're not, then they have to figure out how to lower the infield or move the pits. Wasn't as much of a problem when everyone had to get up the track to go fast, but now that the bottom (regrettably) has become a factor, if you're not up in the top few rows, you can't see the cars running the low groove. I would say from where we were, it was at least a third of the track if not more was visually impaired. And about the dust and some of what Charles said, I think the effects of the dust, as far seeing through it are greatly affected by the angle of the lights and the way the lights reflect off it. For example you mentioned you wouldn't be surprised if Rico didn't see the wall, and from your angle that may well be true, but where I was the visibility didn't look terrible. Anyway, overall it was a good weekend of racing. As some of you said, could it have been better? Absolutely. But after last year's track rework problem, I think they were kind of playing it safe as far as adding water once the show began. I love Eldora, and probably always will, let's just hope that the powers that be continue to tweak things to be as good as it can be. One last thing, does anyone know if there's a good video with audio of Ballou's interview, I only heard parts of it
Great to see you too. Nice bit of luck with our choice of seats. The wife and I had a great time, for the most part all weekend. Shane Stewart's 12.899 was certainly breathtaking and we definitely didn't get breathtaking Saturday, but as I've said in numerous posts I still thoroughly enjoyed it. As always, cant wait for the next race.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/25/17, 12:15 AM   #33
btg1963

In regards to the visibility issues when cars run the low groove down the backstretch..... we didn't have those problems back in the day.... back when they brought the cars to the track with pick-up trucks and open trailers..... 😂 I'm afraid those visibility issues are here to stay!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, ronmil, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora racing surface?