IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500 Ratings
5/29/15, 4:21 PM   #21
Re: Indy 500 Ratings
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I'm not sure they use the formula any more Ron, but it works out to one car for every 400 feet. Back at champcarstats, checking another era that people get misty-eyed over (1955), there were only 11 races on the schedule. And one of them was the Pikes Peak Hillclimb. 100-milers on dirt only started 18 cars, yet somehow "Big Car" racing was healthier then. Another thing, other than at Indy everybody ran upright Kurtis or Kuzma Offys and everyone gets nostalgic for those days, but today it would be sneered at as "spec racing".
"Big Car" racing was much healthier then. The reason it was is because Springfield, Du Quoin, Indy Mile, etc. were packed to the rafters every year for the "Big Cars". Haven't seen a full house for the "Big Cars" at those venue's for at least 20 years regardless of car count.

5/29/15, 4:42 PM   #22
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
So based upon some of the discussion in this topic, most fans here will agree that the IndyCar series schedule needs an overhaul. What tracks does the series need to go to? When should they race at each of them? What tracks or races should be dropped, and what tracks need to be added? What should be the balance of ovals, road courses, and street races?

This site surely has the answers.
(Not sure if that last statement was incredulous, but here goes..)

Yeah, the schedule does need an overhaul. I believe there needs to be an even balance of oval and road races, so I'll begin there.

This year, there are 6 oval races, and 10 road races (permanent & street) with an 11th announced for next season (Boston). This is definitely not a balanced schedule, right?

Ok, so would I drop any dates to even up the balance? Well, not necessarily. I wouldn't drop any venues, but I would do away with one of the "twin" races at Belle Isle. So that would negate the addition of Boston, and keep the ratio at 6 : 10.

BUT!, wait a minute, I'm also in the camp of people who believe IndyCar needs to be at Elkhart Lake, and Laguna Seca, so... that puts my ratio at 6 : 12. Uh oh, that doesn't support my balanced schedule theory!

That means we need to add 6 (!) more oval races, and expand the season schedule to 24 events. Is it doable? I'd like to see it anyway! So what are the 6 ovals we should add to the schedule? That is my question to all of you. Here are my choices...

Kentucky Speedway,
Michigan International Speedway,
Richmond International Raceway,
Gateway International Speedway,
Phoenix International Raceway,
..and either..
(6a) Charlotte Motor Speedway, or
(6b) Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Also, 2 of these oval races NEED to be before the 500!
I think a revival of the Copper World Classic would be a great way to start off the season!
Last edited by chrismattlin; 5/29/15 at 4:45 PM.

5/29/15, 5:38 PM   #23
miledirt

Low car counts the last few years have really hurt car count, but 2008 -2011 had some great crowds at DuQuoin and I haven't missed a race since 1975

5/29/15, 5:47 PM   #24
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
I think the blackout has as much to do with radio as it does tv.

By the way....if you live somewhere that you can get both the radio and TV feed and you choose to listen to the TV broadcast.....you are missing out on hearing the best play by play team in all of sports.
When I'm at The 500 I tune my raceiver to the radio broadcast. Better than the track announcer and with the earbuds I can hear the broadcast even when the cars are right in front of me.

5/29/15, 6:47 PM   #25
dirt330

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
So based upon some of the discussion in this topic, most fans here will agree that the IndyCar series schedule needs an overhaul. What tracks does the series need to go to? When should they race at each of them? What tracks or races should be dropped, and what tracks need to be added? What should be the balance of ovals, road courses, and street races?

This site surely has the answers.
Kentucky Speedway was great for Indy cars. Bring it back.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, JordanBlanton, Wingman
5/29/15, 8:17 PM   #26
LEADERS EDGE

I don't they have lost any races because of too many fans in the stands.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/29/15, 9:28 PM   #27
Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
(Not sure if that last statement was incredulous, but here goes..)

Yeah, the schedule does need an overhaul. I believe there needs to be an even balance of oval and road races, so I'll begin there.

This year, there are 6 oval races, and 10 road races (permanent & street) with an 11th announced for next season (Boston). This is definitely not a balanced schedule, right?

Ok, so would I drop any dates to even up the balance? Well, not necessarily. I wouldn't drop any venues, but I would do away with one of the "twin" races at Belle Isle. So that would negate the addition of Boston, and keep the ratio at 6 : 10.

BUT!, wait a minute, I'm also in the camp of people who believe IndyCar needs to be at Elkhart Lake, and Laguna Seca, so... that puts my ratio at 6 : 12. Uh oh, that doesn't support my balanced schedule theory!

That means we need to add 6 (!) more oval races, and expand the season schedule to 24 events. Is it doable? I'd like to see it anyway! So what are the 6 ovals we should add to the schedule? That is my question to all of you. Here are my choices...

Kentucky Speedway,
Michigan International Speedway,
Richmond International Raceway,
Gateway International Speedway,
Phoenix International Raceway,
..and either..
(6a) Charlotte Motor Speedway, or
(6b) Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Also, 2 of these oval races NEED to be before the 500!
I think a revival of the Copper World Classic would be a great way to start off the season!
Yes Please bring Kentucky back.

These guys are the best business on an oval. Napcar just a parade.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, jim goerge
5/29/15, 9:34 PM   #28
Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
When I'm at The 500 I tune my raceiver to the radio broadcast. Better than the track announcer and with the earbuds I can hear the broadcast even when the cars are right in front of me.
The guys that do the radio broadcast are awesome. I can't say I care for Paul Page as much as the guy who called it the last couple years but they do a great job.

5/29/15, 10:13 PM   #29
hoosier race fan

Since I threw the questions out there I suppose I'll take a shot at answering.

Not going to take any races away since there aren't that many to begin with.

Add: Phoenix, Richmond, Kentucky, Watkins Glen, Circuit of the Americas, Boston street course.

Schedule:
St. Petersburg - Season opener, early March
Barber MP - mid-March
Phoenix - late March
Long Beach - early April
NOLA - mid-April
Texas - late April
Indy GP - early May
Indy - Memorial Day Weekend
Milwaukee - early June
Belle Isle - mid-June
Richmond - late June
Boston - early July (4th of July weekend if possible)
Watkins Glen - mid-July
Iowa - late July
Toronto - early August
Pocono - mid-August
Mid-Ohio - late August
Kentucky - Labor Day Weekend
Sonoma - mid-September
Circuit of the Americas - late September
Auto Club California - early October Season Championship

I attempted to follow a guideline of 3 races per month, 21 races total. I also attempted to avoid conflicts with NASCAR races at certain tracks, preferrably at least 2 weeks between NASCAR and IndyCar events at the same venue. 9 ovals of various different sizes and configurations, 7 permanent road courses, and 5 temporary street courses. Other races and tracks could obviously be added with at least 1 open weekend in each month. I left off places like Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Michigan, Elkhart Lake, etc. that could be good choices for events. Many could easily be swapped for events in the same area on the current schedule.

2 members like this post: dirt330, wright59
5/30/15, 11:09 AM   #30
BrentTFunk

The tracks have to want them. Most ovals are nascar tracks. Indycars put on a better show for a cheaper ticket. the tracks are not interested. The best way to see the schedule grow is to attend the races already on the schedule.

5 members like this post: Dblchkrs, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, ronmil, Tom23
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500 Ratings