IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.
7/6/22, 9:58 AM   #31
Re: Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
My only thought is the 2 minutes in the work area is much more entertaining when you can watch it, as opposed to sitting in the stands without visual access
I love those drone shots of the crew working!

2 members like this post: Bobv, PIT CART
7/6/22, 10:25 AM   #32
Eric Smith

How about if tracks have the work area timer displayed for all to see. Like the scale weight at Eldora. Then everyone will know when the clock starts and stops and will make the (obvious, and everyone knows it happens) favoritism harder.

7/6/22, 12:08 PM   #33
TQ29m

Why not just drop it altogether, we all know who it favors the most, it's not rocket science, the guys that put on the show most, aren't likely to make use of it, they have learned to conserve what they have, and make it last, plus they usually don't have a good spare or the crew to change it, but they'll be there to entertain us because they love it. I still am not in favor of the rule.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Steve Wendel
7/6/22, 9:43 PM   #34
ginblueearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
I’m headed to Huset’s for the first time. Maybe some wing guys can grow a pair and show up to their home track for good money. Problem solved.
I will answer the part about the 410 guy from Husets grow a pair begonias and racing this weekend . Let's just say there's a better chance of it snowing then that happening . As for the work area part I'm old school there never used to be a work area . And I don't think there should be one now . You get a flat tire go to the trailer you crash go to the trailer same rule for everyone no ifs ands or buts . As a former driver and a track official(assistant flagman & flagman at Jackson speedway Jackson Mn). Now spectator in the stands it's the best & fairest way

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Steve Wendel
7/6/22, 10:10 PM   #35
Quantrill

I agree, no work area. Might speed things up, save money and maybe keep more cars from being tore up if they know they dont have a chance of getting back out?

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, erich45, Steve Wendel
7/7/22, 9:16 AM   #36
Dale

What about the Big Cars? If it was your decision would you stop allowing tire changes? How many times has a midrace tire change resulted in a pretty high finishing spot?

7/7/22, 10:02 AM   #37
JakeCroxton

I think the Big Cars are a different animal...they are at their own peril to lose laps and continue...they're not delaying the show by 60-120 seconds and necessarily causing extra cautions just to get that extra time...

Let me throw this one at you...

When I worked with MOWA...we got the privilege of running Haubstadt once a year. Our guys really liked it. And we had basically a Little Springfield "you leave the track you're done" rule at the time.

A couple of our regulars, I think it was Urish and Tripplett, got into a deal on the first lap of the feature. They weren't upset about spending money in the work area on a new tire to get back out...they were furious that it was our only shot to race on that stage and we were 4.5 hours from home - and they had capable guys that would have been ready to change a tire (and I think for Urish even part of the front end) - they wanted at least an opportunity to get back into the race. And 11th-20th still paid $200, which is probably where they would have finished. They just wanted to get their money's worth for the investment of fuel and time to go down there...and race the place for 25 laps. Yeah...we said at the time, then don't crash on the first lap, which I'm sure wasn't popular - but that's the other side of the argument. Don't put yourself in that position - which is also easier said than done mid-pack in a 410 on the initial start going into turn one at Haubstadt...

The next year, we had a 60 second one-time work area time after the first car got there. At least in my time there, we never hit a fuel clock. And I never felt like having the work area detracted from our shows.

Go to a Late Model race lol...they pull up lame and half throttle...for some reason get the caution...and go make a shock adjustment. That drives me nuts...
Last edited by JakeCroxton; 7/7/22 at 10:36 AM.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.