IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A media comment
8/13/14, 4:47 PM   #11
Re: A media comment
Nate

A friend of mine posted this the other day after I saw an article on CNN.com listing Ward as a "NASCAR driver"

Last edited by Nate; 8/13/14 at 4:49 PM.

8/13/14, 4:55 PM   #12
JstAbvVMC

The PD helicopter has taken rounds and they advised the FAA of that fact, as required. The FAA has the ultimate responsibility for US airspace and the ONLY the FAA that can close any airspace. The police can "ask" but nobody else can issue the order.. The FAA doesn't want a news copter to go down. Plain and simple. These guys can all fly in the same airspace and do it safety. The FAA is just trying to save the media from themselves. Sorry media the PD isn't trying to control you.. Just save you

8/13/14, 5:48 PM   #13
Sprintcarfanatic

Everything I have seen in print has Tony hitting him & causing the wreck. I get home today & see where Sr. has him hitting him also. Until I see a picture from the backside of them I still say Jr. got into the loose stuff & the rear slid into the wall because the rear hits 1st. If Tony had hit Jr's left front I'm thinking the front end would have veered to the right & it did not.

2 members like this post: bn kleen, speed bump
8/13/14, 6:09 PM   #14
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Murdoch put a offer then withdrew for Time Warner.

Now Comcast is looking into it.
Are we talking about Time Warner Cable or Time Warner Inc.? These two different deals being offered.

http://dealbook.on.nytimes.com/publi...inline=nyt-org

http://dealbook.on.nytimes.com/publi...inline=nyt-org

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/07/...r-time-warner/

I agree with you, say no to Comcast and News Corp and break up these large monopolies.
Last edited by Vukie; 8/13/14 at 7:08 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, Joey Woods
8/13/14, 6:32 PM   #15
racenut69

The news media can't tell a cow from a racecar,but I agree that everyone on Facebook is now a racing expert..OMG!..LOL!..Great Thread,my friend.

8/13/14, 6:36 PM   #16
BrentTFunk

The worst comments I have seen were from Rusty Wallace on Sunday. I think he is just bitter that his kid has no talent

8/13/14, 7:11 PM   #17
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

That's funny !

2 members like this post: ossuks, team3521
8/13/14, 7:21 PM   #18
IndyBound

Sadly I feel the media has done a very poor job covering the tragic accident that happended Saturday night,. There have been a few articles that I have read that really get it that this was a tragic accident others don't get it at all. Also sadly I think we are about to witness round two. Young Kevin Ward Jr.'s calling hours are being held at the Trainor Funeral Home in Booneville N. Y. today, his funeral tomorrow has been moved to the South Lewis Senior High School in Turin, N. Y.. When I learned of this change yesterday it took me back years, we were exiting the church after Jimmy Shampine's funeral going down the steps of the church to media cameras going off in his families faces as well as many of the rest of the racing community members there to honor one of their own who lost his life in a tragic accident at Oswego. I have to admit the TV stations covering Jimmy's funeral were local news media channels from Syracuse N. Y.. I will also admit that until I saw the ESS notifaction yesterday about the change of venue for the funeral that I hadn't given much thought to the large media presence that will probably be covering Kevin's funeral.

I hope I am wrong and the news media will allow his family and the racing community this time to grieve in private and not turn his funeral into a media circus. After some of things they have written about Robin Williams death I have to ask how much is two much information for the news media to have access to?

Someone earlier in this thread stated if he was the other driver involved in this tragic accident it wouldn't have become national and world news. I had a very similar feeling on Saturday night when I first learned of the accident only I told my boyfriend if it were another ESS driver it wouldn't be the story it is coming to become. Even having that thought I never expected to see the headlines "Tony Stewart Killed young Kevin Ward Jr." or "Tony Stewart is a Murderer" when I woke up on Sunday morning nor did I expect to see the vedio of the accident on every news media outlet out there.

Growing up in Central N. Y. I might have expected to have the lead story on the Sunday evening news be about the incident not here in Az. where channel 12 news devoted 5 to 6 minutes to the tragic accident. They had Bruce St. James a local sprint car driver and radio personality in studio, a reporter at Canyon Speedway doing a telephone interview with Kevin Montgomery. I don't think it would be to far off to say they gave so much attention to the tragic accident and what changes it will mean for the sport because Tony Stewart was involved in the accident and Nascar comes to Avondale (Phoenix) twice a year.

While I have never met Kevin Ward Jr. or his family I do know some of the other families that race with the ESS, my thoughts and prayers have been with the Ward family, the ESS racing community, the Canandaigua Motorsports Park family, staff & fans, Tony Stewart, his family, friends and fans ever since Saturday night and will remain with them as we go forward.

I personally have lost the respect I had for a number of news reporters over the past several days. Everyone became an expert on auto racing over the weekend, sadly many of those so called experts have never been to a race track let along know what racing division they were talking about. While I don't feel the need to name names I will think twice about putting any faith in what some people report in the future.

Patti

5 members like this post: 2fast4u, jim goerge, Kman71, Phylo82, speed bump
8/13/14, 7:49 PM   #19
bn kleen

Had to listen to a fool today, say that Ward qas the driver that broke both Tonys legs 2 years ago, and that Tony drove up the track to hit him. I wanted to straggle the guy. But I told him that vision from the cockpit of any race car isn't great and even worse out the right side. Found out he's never even been to a dirt track.

8/13/14, 7:54 PM   #20
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Not all Media are clueless. Here someone who's gone and talked to a driver.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...l#incart_river

But this is the exceptition!

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, flagboy55, IndyBound, jim goerge, Joey Woods
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A media comment