IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl places to eat
12/27/08, 3:30 PM   #1
Chili Bowl places to eat
VaDirt

My wife's uncle, who lives in Tulsa, shot me this list of good eats.

Best BBQ ribs. West on 21st street to Harvard (about 1/2 mile). South on Harvard to Albert G's. West side of Harvard, in a one-time service station. Also, try the tabouli. Choice of sweet or hot sauce.

Goldie's Gourmet char-burgers. West on 21st toward the hospital, west of Lewis. About 1 1/2 miles from the Chili Bowl. Goldie's on north side of 21st. Superb burgers. Or, Goldie's on north side of 31st, west of Yale. About 3 blocks. Same people and menu.

Gourmet bakery, Danish, brownies, and the like. Merrit's bakery on 15th street, south side, about a block west of harvard. Best bakery in Tulsa, by far. Best Danish in the state.

Old-fashioned greasy-spoon burgers on Harvard, about a block or so south of 21st. Brownies. (May or may not be in business at that time, owner is dying but hanging in there.) If you go there, save room for pie.

There is an Amish restaurant on Harvard, south of 31st, east side. Edge of the parking apron of the Homeland grocery store. Old-fashioned dinners.

Also, a popular Thai buffet on about 32nd street. Inexpensive, all-you-can-eat buffet. In a little strip mall, east of Harvard, north side of the street.

There is a decent family-owned place on 11th and Yale, Talley's. Old-fashioned diner, good omelets. Good food all around.

There is an inexpensive Mexican place on west side of Harvard near Brownies. Good menu.

These are some of the better non-chain, locally-owned places. The sort that the natives know about, and superior to just about any chain.

If your hungry for a real steak dinner and also plain hungry, then Jamil's is your choice. On 51st street, north side, east of Harvard. Almost due south of the Chili Bowl. BTW, Jamil's is one of those places with autographed pictures of local celebs. e.g., picture of Oklahoma football coach Barry Switzer hangs in Jamil's. (Switzer is also a fan of Goldie's -- he owns the one in Norman, Ok.) Don't go there if you are not half-starved.

12/27/08, 4:57 PM   #2
Re: Chili Bowl places to eat
kstudley57

it's not fancy and its not a mom and pop joint...but the Rib Crib is always worth the time. there are a few locations around tulsa but i think there is one only a couple miles west of the golden driller.

12/27/08, 4:58 PM   #3
Andrew S. Quinn

We always go to Albert G's usually many times during the week. My buddy that I stay with in Tulsa is friends with the owner so we try to spread a few $$ his way when we are in town. We never walk out hungry.

Also stop in at Goldies at least once, along with Tallys,and the Western Diner. Also stop in at the Village Inn after the races, but you might be there awhile. They dont add extra staff for Chili Bowl week unfortunately.

12/27/08, 7:56 PM   #4
TQ97

Rib Crib :applaud::respect:

12/27/08, 8:04 PM   #5
Midget82

Zio's Italian Restaurant... best Italian I've ever had. The pepperoni bread is definitely worth the trip to Oklahoma!
Posted via Mobile Device

12/28/08, 1:35 AM   #6
petey

Last go around on Fri., there was a big group of us that went to Ike's Chili House which is on Admiral I believe. Been in business for 100 years. Great Chili.

12/28/08, 11:36 PM   #7
racinstacie

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 64

Last year someone referred us to Elmer's BBQ (4130 S. Peoria) through this same topic - great BBQ and we will go back again this year!

Another new restaurant we tried for breakfast was a place called Jimmy's Egg. Great breakfast and service. There's a few locations in Tulsa.

Keep suggestions coming... want new places to try that are local favorites!

12/29/08, 6:54 AM   #8
Pat O'Connor Fan

If you happen to like pizza buffets, I recommend Mazzio's. There are multiple locations in the Tulsa area. Kim and I have been guilty of over-eating there many times.
Dan Hetser's rumor has it that Shortbus is somewhat an expert on buffets, so you might want to check with Bill. And if you don't want to talk about food, I assure that conversing at the Chili Bowl with Bill and Lloyd about racing is fun, too!!
Damn! I'm gonna miss it this year, and I had not really regretted it until this thread.

12/29/08, 8:15 AM   #9
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Dan Hetser's rumor has it that Shortbus is somewhat an expert on buffets, so you might want to check with Bill.

:rolling No rumor there Pat, just ask him:thumb

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

12/29/08, 8:55 AM   #10
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

I stumbled upon Tally's Cafe on the corner of 11th (Route 66) and Yale a mile north of the Expo about 12 years ago. I have eaten elsewhere since then but those times I could count on one hand. :respect:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl places to eat