IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sonny ates
10/26/10, 11:49 PM   #21
Re: Sonny ates
jimg12

Sonny was a friend and mintor to me. He help get me my first USAC midget ride in 65. In 65, 66 I rode to many races with him in his VW, slept in the back seat many times. I never heard anyone say anything bad about him, on or off the race track. So besides being a great racer he was a great person. I will miss him greatly.
Jim Graybeal

1 member likes this post: Xflagman
10/27/10, 10:56 AM   #22
Tom Brewer

In the mid 60's both Sonny Ates and Jimmy Graybeal drove my uncle's midget (Ted Hartley). Both were really good drivers and nice guys. I was just a teenage helper and they treated me like I was Clint Brawner. Sad to hear of Sonny's passing but great to hear that Jimmy is still around. I wonder if Jimmy remembers an indoor race at Fort Wayne in 1967 when he had to go to the hospital while we celebrated Ted's 65th birthday after the race!

10/27/10, 11:23 AM   #23
cowboyhar69

That link to the Dayton Speedway website that Vukie posted is great. You can spend a lot of time on there. I would highly recommend it to anyone...tons of pics and tons of stories. The Dayton Speedway kept you on the edge of your seat whenever you were there. Seemed to be just as scary and exciting as Winchester...if not more. First place I ever attended a race at...I was 2 weeks old...in June of 1951!!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

10/27/10, 11:34 AM   #24
jimg12

Yes, I remember. Got put upsidedown in the heat race. No cage, open face helment, concrete floor, lots of stitches. Would have had more fun at the party.

10/27/10, 12:24 PM   #25
atesfamily

Hello to all. My name is Adam, and I am Sonny Ates grandson. I just wanted to say thank you from our whole family for all the kind words and condolences. He was a great man, and will be greatly missed. He had a good life, many great friends/fans, and finally crossed the final finish line. Thank you all again so much.

10/27/10, 1:43 PM   #26
SprintManDave

Rest in peace Sonny. You will be missed. One of the truly nice gentlemen,and great Midget and Sprint driver.

10/30/10, 10:03 PM   #27
Danny Burton

http://www.frontstretch.com/jpotts/3...nted=1#c033077

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sonny ates