IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SprintCar & Midget Magazine Ending!
12/8/22, 9:12 PM   #1
SprintCar & Midget Magazine Ending!
popham

A few years ago National Speed Sport News up and pulled the plug without notice, of course I had just sent them a check for a 2 year renewal! And today when I open my new SprintCar & Midget magazine (which is now combined with Speed Sport), I get to read it’s the last one. We’re going to now get a weekly email newsletter, just another sign of the times. At least I only had 2 months left on this subscription.

4 members like this post: tigerone, tirespinner, TQ29m, WinglessLovers
12/8/22, 9:55 PM   #2
Pitdad

That’s so very disappointing. I know I’m a hoarder, but I prize having hard copies of documents and pictures. Digital “copies” only survive as long as somebody maintains the website or the technology used for storage doesn’t become obsolete. We used to store pictures and stories on 5 1/4” Floppy Disks, then 3.5” floppys, VHS tapes, then CDs, and rewritable DVDs. All of those storage devices are or will soon be unusable. Thumb drives are becoming obsolete as some new computers don’t have USB ports. The “Cloud”? Who controls that?

I control my collection of paper.

12/9/22, 12:36 AM   #3
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Agree. Not a fan of the digital cloud. You pick it back up and read it without a light in your face.

4 members like this post: jdull99, tigerone, tirespinner, TQ29m
12/9/22, 11:54 AM   #4
Re: SprintCar & Midget Magazine Ending!
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by popham View Post
A few years ago National Speed Sport News up and pulled the plug without notice, of course I had just sent them a check for a 2 year renewal! And today when I open my new SprintCar & Midget magazine (which is now combined with Speed Sport), I get to read it’s the last one. We’re going to now get a weekly email newsletter, just another sign of the times. At least I only had 2 months left on this subscription.
Another sad day in the world of printed racing material. To me digital can never replace that paper or magazine in your hand and all the visuals that go along with it. Will seriously have to consider if I want to renew my SpeedSport in the next several months.

Bruce Eckel

4 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, jdull99, tirespinner
12/9/22, 12:51 PM   #5
Re: SprintCar & Midget Magazine Ending!
jdull99

End of an era...poetic (as this was tied in with NSSN, of late...I haven't looked at one in years - not cuz I don't want to, but can't keep up with everything - so maybe there is no NSSN tie in other than who owns it), as the mid-Dec issue of NSSN was always one to look forward to; a GREAT recap of the previous racing season (when we all had a little more time to remember stuff that happened like a few months ago...) and, of coarse, we looked forward to those who wished KO x-mass wishes, and u checked to see if anyone had paid the $5 to happen to send us one...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

12/9/22, 3:14 PM   #6
Dirt Trackker

That year-end National Speed Sport News was a treasure and the best early Christmas gift a race fan could enjoy. Yes, the funny K.O. greetings and the fact that Kenny Schrader had more well wishes than every NASCAR driver not named Earnhardt remain great memories. Happy holidays, racers and fans!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SprintCar & Midget Magazine Ending!