IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many, best and worst race
10/29/18, 12:15 PM   #11
Re: How many, best and worst race
racenut69

USAC at Pevely and The Leffler Memorial at Wayne City!.....Ready for DuQuion in December!....
Have no worst race,cause I didn't to go a lot,due to work!
Last edited by racenut69; 10/29/18 at 12:17 PM.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, openwheelfan1, wildman92
10/29/18, 1:00 PM   #12
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
ISF mentions the Bettenhausen. I forgot that one. I agree with his assessment. It was the best Silver Crown race I have seen at the Springfield Mile. Have seen around 20 of them since the early 90's. I was at the WoO at Fairbury also. It didn't run as late as LaSalle so it stayed ahead of it for "worst". It was decent track until the feature IMO.
The only other Silver Crown races at Springfield that would be in the same category as the 2018 Bettenhausen Memorial would be the 2017 race, the 1995 race when Kenny Irwin Jr. started 28th and took the lead with 3 miles to go and won, and the 1988 race when Kenny Jacobs led the first 73 miles, Jack Hewitt took the lead but got passed by Andy Hillenburg with 10 to go but Andy eventually ran out of fuel and Steve Chassey took the lead with 5 to go and won. As good as those races were the 2018 race was still the best.

Chatham, we normally go to the Waite Memorial at La Salle but due to work obligations we weren't able to attend this year. Otherwise the Waite Memorial might have also beat out the Fairbury WoO choo choo for our worst. Some buddies went and left early, which they never do, since it was a Sunday night show.
Last edited by ISF; 10/29/18 at 1:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: openwheelfan1
10/29/18, 4:21 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im going to say I attended about 25 with maybe a couple to go.
Worst, None
Best. I loved the Rt 44 waynesfield double but the best race clearly was the sprint and champ races at the four crown. Never seen three cars battle for the lead in champ cars racing side by side. Never and the last half was Thomas and Leary in a shear battle of willpower.

3 members like this post: dirt330, mc/rider, openwheelfan1
10/29/18, 5:03 PM   #14
chathamracefan

ISF...I was at the 1995 silver crown when Irwin won from the back. He won the midget feature that day also. Only problem was it was about 110 degrees that day IIRC. Hot old day in the grandstands.

10/30/18, 3:35 PM   #15
jim goerge

I can"t say I saw a bad race this year, BUT every race I went to this year was great if not for the racing but for seeing and hangin out with people I have met from this wonderful web site. I'm not sure about next year cuz my illness has come back, but I'm going to do my damest to beat it again. I love ya guys and Thanks for taking care of me and putting up with my bit*hing.

10/30/18, 3:46 PM   #16
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Forty four races so far this year. Liked them all, but the best was the Silver Crown race at the Four Crown Nationals. What a surprise that was!

10/30/18, 5:03 PM   #17
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

We saw a lot of good racing this year and to narrow it down is difficult. We sit at 98 shows with several still to come including St. Louis, Trenton, NJ indoor 600 micro show & our first ever trip to New Zealand where we have 11 shows booked starting on December 26th and going into New Year.

Would give the nod to Pevely USAC show as best race of the year with Jason McDougal beating his house mate, Kevin Thomas Jr. for his first win. Terre Haute on August 12th with MSCS sprints was a great race on a finely prepared surface with Robert Ballou besting Chris Windom and Chase Stockon. Modified feature was very good also with Kenny Wallace edging Tyler Nicely with Brian Shaw coming from 20th to 6th. The Macon POWRi midget show after DuQuoin was excellent especially the last five laps when KTJ and Tanner Carrick swapped amazing moves in traffic. Got to mention both of the Silver Crown shows in Illinois at Springfield and DuQuoin which produced excellent racing and great racing surfaces and are mentioned by many. The best winged show we saw this year was at Fremont when they also had BOSS in town. Real good racing in all divisions.

On the bottom side the worst of the year was a February show at Bubba Raceway Park where winged sprint feature took an hour and twenty minutes to run. Champaign County with WAR was bad also with bad local organization with push trucks and such and WAR feature was painful as on this night the guys looked like they had never ran sprints before. Also a late season race at Lincoln Park on a cloudy, cool evening and the surface came up awful. LPS surface this year was below par and unlike golf that is not a good thing.

Bruce and Pat Eckel

2 members like this post: openwheelfan1, oppweld
10/30/18, 6:13 PM   #18
jonboat15

I don't count races anymore but I figured with all of the rainouts I still hit 35-40 events, all in PA. I might have one more left if I go to the indoor micro event in Trenton NJ.
Fav races were USAC sprints at Port Royal, USAC midgets at Lanco, a Woo race at Lincoln Speedway (I'm a bit of a Rahmer fan), and the Jim Nace Memorial at Selinsgrove speedway.
Unfortunately I didn't make it to any new tracks this year. The less enjoyable races were mostly at Williams grove due to the follow the leader slot car racing the track offers, Susquehanna speedway was a bummer most of the year with their major dust problem but I was at their last 410 and 358 sprint race and the track was fantastic.
All in all it was an OK year, hoping for less rain and more speedways for 2019.

11/3/18, 9:51 AM   #19
BrentTFunk

I hit 44 with DuQuoin still to go. Can't name a sure best, but can name a few really good ones. The midget and sprint features were great at the Kokomo Grand Prix. Midgetweek at Montpelier was really good. Plymouth Sprintweek show was good, and even with a late start, due to rain, was ran well to beat rain.Midgets at IMS were great, another great effort in bad weather. The rained out Smackdown was a barnburner. The James Dean Classic at Gas City the next night was real good. The Sept USAC sprint race at Haubstadt was good. The first night of Let's race 2 at Eldora was good, as was the 4 crown, especially the Silver Crown race. First night of the Kokomo Klash.
Most shows that I attended were well run and over at a decent hour. The 3 shows that were over the latest were Plymouth SprintWeek, and the second night of IMS midgets. Both battled rain delays and beat rain that would have washed them out. The other was at Putnamville on July 6th, when too many classes made for a very long evening, on what may have been the nicest night of the summer.

I have a couple of wishes for 2019, I hope that tracks at Midgetweek only run sprints and midgets, as the crowds are good at all stops, and the extra classes take away from a big event feel. I also hope that Sprintweek shows are limited to one support class. Ready for next year.

11/3/18, 11:59 AM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Forgot to add Little 500 and Kody Swanson's spin N win, I don't care how many cars are out there, but it's clearer as cars drop out. You can hear him alone on the track and how consistent he is.

1 member likes this post: tigerone
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many, best and worst race