IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weather
12/8/09, 1:34 PM   #21
Re: Weather
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

So far it looks like Springfield might be lucky, with the snow going just west of us. Cold (not Wisconsin cold) but may be fairly dry. What happened to Jerry? I can't believe we would have a weather post and he isn't on it yet.

12/8/09, 1:36 PM   #22
crp26

About 82 today in winter haven florida.One of these days i might get used to this retirement.See you when the mud starts to fly this spring.

Chuck

12/8/09, 2:09 PM   #23
v8j

the capital of racing is cold,gloomy,and is starting to rain. changing to snow.

12/8/09, 2:19 PM   #24
IndyBound

Brucer, the news in Phoenix showed 9,500 SRP, 6,500 APS & 40,000 Nothern Az. customers without power, hope you have yours back by now. The wind blew so hard here last night it rearranaged my patio furniture and I thought the roof was going to blow off the house. I17 north of Sedona to Flagstaff remained closed this morning after a tractor trailer over turned yesterday leaving motorists stranded for hours. While we got about an inch of rain here in the Phoenix area the higher elevations of AZ got two feet of snow.

Patti

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
12/8/09, 3:22 PM   #25
Prairie Dog

The first Winter Sunami for Wisconsin, gotta love the 4 seasons.

Bring it on Mother Nature i can take it !

12/8/09, 4:14 PM   #26
Jerry Shaw

I've a little different take on the weather here in racing central. I tend to look at it in more of a macro sense. While it may be frustrating sometimes when we have to dodge the storms and endure these elements, in order to see the individual events that we are looking forward to, our climate is what makes it possible for this area to be what it is, as far as racing goes. Hoosier dirt didn't become hoosier dirt by chance. It took eons and eons hot summers, harsh winters, frequent rain and countless life cycles of the type of plant life that flourishes in that kind of environment, to produce the dirt and clay that makes up these racing surfaces. And to develop generations of the country's best dirt scientists and soil experts, otherwise known as farmers, who were very instrumental in a lot of these tracks getting their start. Also, those living in such weather extremes tend to be a hardier, more optimistic lot. Those are both qualities that you need to have, in spades, to chase these races all over the place.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 12/8/09 at 4:16 PM.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
12/8/09, 5:24 PM   #27
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
So far it looks like Springfield might be lucky, with the snow going just west of us. Cold (not Wisconsin cold) but may be fairly dry. What happened to Jerry? I can't believe we would have a weather post and he isn't on it yet.
Mix between rain and sleet here in Kokomo, the wind is starting to pick up. WE are supposed to get a lot of wind, rain then snow in the next couple days.

Be safe everyone as was proven Monday here in Kokomo some people are not smart enough to adjust to the change in weather.

Frank we do miss your sunny smile and happy laugh.

Jerry #66

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
12/8/09, 6:58 PM   #28
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
I've a little different take on the weather here in racing central. I tend to look at it in more of a macro sense. While it may be frustrating sometimes when we have to dodge the storms and endure these elements, in order to see the individual events that we are looking forward to, our climate is what makes it possible for this area to be what it is, as far as racing goes. Hoosier dirt didn't become hoosier dirt by chance. It took eons and eons hot summers, harsh winters, frequent rain and countless life cycles of the type of plant life that flourishes in that kind of environment, to produce the dirt and clay that makes up these racing surfaces. And to develop generations of the country's best dirt scientists and soil experts, otherwise known as farmers, who were very instrumental in a lot of these tracks getting their start. Also, those living in such weather extremes tend to be a hardier, more optimistic lot. Those are both qualities that you need to have, in spades, to chase these races all over the place.

Jerry
Interesting take. But if evolution plays a role in today's racing scene, one has to wonder if Charles Darwin would've been a race fan if he came along today.

(Although, when you think about it, Darwin took a boat ride from England to the southern hemisphere, so maybe he would've been up for a racing road trip. Plus he rode on the back of turtles, so you know he probably would be the life of a post-race party.:2:

12/8/09, 7:09 PM   #29
Tim Watson

Well i just cleaned up another 2" of snow and tonight is the night the "Historical Big One" hits us. The winter storm warning for my county has been cancelled......and changed to a blizzard warning. Can't wait to tell you about it tomorrow!

12/8/09, 7:29 PM   #30
Augie

Tim
It may snow so much that the Red Owl will be closed, but Kretches sould be open.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weather