IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > September 7 midget racing
8/27/18, 7:22 PM   #1
jeffc5227

Is there any where near Indianapolis to run a midget if I come for the race IMS on Friday? Pulling a long way would like to catch another night. Thanks
Last edited by jeffc5227; 8/28/18 at 5:56 PM.

8/27/18, 7:51 PM   #2
Re: September 7 midget racing
kdobson

We have a POWRi midget race at Jacksonville IL on Friday the 7th and Spoon River Speedway a little North of us near Canton IL has POWRi on Saturday the 8th.

8/27/18, 8:01 PM   #3
jeffc5227

Ok great how far of a pull is it from Indianapolis and how big is the joint? Thanks

8/27/18, 8:10 PM   #4
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

How big is the joint. I've been following racing since 1968 and I've never heard a race track called "a joint". Pulling along way. Never heard that term. Maybe you've never heard of a website or mapquest either.

8/27/18, 8:25 PM   #5
miledirt

Maybe a 3.5 to 4 hour tow - Jacksonville is a well run, prepared little quarter mile

8/27/18, 8:40 PM   #6
kendirt

Spoon is a bowl 3/8ths.

8/27/18, 8:40 PM   #7
kdobson

Jacksonville is about 3.5 hours west of Indy just off I-72. I'd call us a fairly tight 1/4 mile with decent banking and some pretty good midget racing. Truthfully, I've been known to call our place a joint plenty of times in the past too. I'm biased, but I like our little joint in Jacksonville. Hope you and some others heading to IMS - especially those of you coming from the West - choose to stay in the area for some additional racing during the weekend and don't drive right by us to get home. Any questions about Jacksonville or lodging, camping etc, don't hesitate to text or call me at 217-371-3653

On a separate note - I wouldn't mind a text from teams that aren't what I would consider Midwest POWRi regulars who plan to race with us on the 7th. I have a local class or two scheduled along with our MOWA 410 Sprints anticipating our "normal" September POWRi car count (mid/high 20's) when I scheduled this back in December. If we are going to be way above that I can adjust a little and drop a local class or two to keep the show moving. So please let me know if you plan to bring a midget to Jacksonville and aren't in that core POWRi group. We work on an 11pm curfew - so your help is appreciated.

Ken Dobson
Jacksonville Speedway
Last edited by kdobson; 8/27/18 at 8:51 PM.

8/27/18, 8:57 PM   #8
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Ken, nice job replying information on Jacksonville. When a promoter or track rep gives the info like you just did, plus leaves their cell phone number, that is going above and beyond. Kudos to you and everyone for helping with the resurgence in open wheel racing in Illinois.

2 members like this post: Steve Wendel, wallbanger II
8/27/18, 10:08 PM   #9
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
Ken, nice job replying information on Jacksonville. When a promoter or track rep gives the info like you just did, plus leaves their cell phone number, that is going above and beyond. Kudos to you and everyone for helping with the resurgence in open wheel racing in Illinois.
Out of curiosity then, why weren't you more helpful with your first reply? All he was asking for was a little info that was easily provided to him.

8/27/18, 10:12 PM   #10
oldfan49

I've heard many tracks refered to as "a racy little joint" over the years.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > September 7 midget racing