IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mlamb (Offline)
  #1 7/21/19 11:09 AM
July 21, (Saturday) 1990. Rich Vogler lost his life in a crash at the Salem speedway.
Rich was a USAC National sprint car champion in ‘80 & ‘89 USAC National midget champion in ‘78 ‘80 ‘83 ‘86 ‘88. He won the Hut Hundred 8 times. Won the innagural Chili Bowl in ‘87. Raced in the Indianapolis 500 in ‘85 ‘86 ‘87 ‘88 ‘89
I rank him right up there as one of the best to strap into a race car that I’ve seen.
Gone....but not forgotten.
36 Likes: bigq11, BrentTFunk, buck2, chris jockish, Dirtfan, EBookerFan, erich45, flagboy55, Hammer, Hustlin-Hoosier, i love dirt track racing, jdull99, Ken Bonnema, Kydehart, luckybuc97, LUCKYONE, mc/rider, Midget98, motorhead748, openwheelfan1, Owen, Pat O'Connor Fan, PAW, progressive22, racefan20, racinrich, Rapid Rick, rmcar, rmr6nm, ronmil, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner, trannyman, wildman92, WinglessLovers, XtremeLS1
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #2 7/21/19 11:24 AM
You’re not wrong. We were blessed to watch him “ply his craft” Certainly one of the goats
9 Likes: BrentTFunk, bullringko, Hammer, jdull99, Kydehart, mlamb, tirespinner, tj39, WinglessLovers
ronmil (Offline)
  #3 7/21/19 1:10 PM
I was there that tragic evening. I still miss him.

Ron Miller
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Hammer, mlamb, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
tirespinner (Offline)
  #4 7/21/19 1:42 PM
Me Too. RIP RICH Vogler
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Hammer, mlamb, Owen, ronmil, WinglessLovers
jeffc5227 (Offline)
  #5 7/21/19 3:04 PM
I was watching it on tv I had lots of nightmares after that tragedy. He was a great driver. I love talking to Jon Johnson about the night Rich punted him at Oklahoma City and the crowd was so upset they had to sneak Rich out of State Fair Speedway.
3 Likes: flagboy55, Hammer, mlamb
copper14 (Offline)
  #6 7/21/19 4:07 PM
he was my sons hero.met him at sante fe during a woo race.owned a jimmy white midget for several years.old car but won a lot of races for us.rip rich.
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #7 7/21/19 4:10 PM
Peculiar situation. I was watching the race on TV and do not remember seeing the crash ,but I knew it had happened. I do remember the look on the USAC official's face when he looked in the cockpit after the car had come to a stop at the bottom of the track. The only other time I remember seeing that look was on Kenny Shrader's face when he looked in Earnhart's car after the Daytona crash.
ronmil (Offline)
  #8 7/21/19 4:32 PM
Originally Posted by Speedwrench:
Peculiar situation. I was watching the race on TV and do not remember seeing the crash ,but I knew it had happened. I do remember the look on the USAC official's face when he looked in the cockpit after the car had come to a stop at the bottom of the track. The only other time I remember seeing that look was on Kenny Shrader's face when he looked in Earnhart's car after the Daytona crash.
I was there and I recorded it on my VCR as well. The actual crash was not on TV.

Ron Miller
3 Likes: Speedwrench, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
TQ29m (Offline)
  #9 7/21/19 4:45 PM
Wasn't Rich driving for Watson that day, I know he drove for AJ back in those days, friend of mine was helping crew. I miss both of them.

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
ronmil (Offline)
  #10 7/21/19 5:25 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
Wasn't Rich driving for Watson that day, I know he drove for AJ back in those days, friend of mine was helping crew. I miss both of them.
He was driving the Hoffman car

Ron Miller
3 Likes: jdull99, tirespinner, WinglessLovers