IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Races at Banker's Life
10/6/15, 8:34 PM   #21
treecitytornado

Nothing can be as bad as Kemper, Don, lol. I am having a positive outlook on this and hope it happens for sure!

1 member likes this post: Kansasdirtfan
10/6/15, 8:39 PM   #22
Re: Midget Races at Banker's Life
ShaneMugavin57

One thing Kemper didn't have was a crap ton of racing people already in town for a trade show.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, micro94, Pat O'Connor Fan, throb, wallbanger II
10/6/15, 8:47 PM   #23
LEADERS EDGE

I hope it's a success.....just not sure on the economics and venting. That and the bill for cleaning it will be high. I believe they ran karts and bikes on ice there once.

If it is in conjunction with whatever PRI is called today.... It will have a crowd but I believe Lucas oil is also used for the show.

The Chili Bowl, Ft Wayne and Duquoin are the longest running indoor Midget races I know of besides the old HoosierDome and Atlantic City TQs.

Houston Astrodome, Fargo Dome, Rosemont Horizon, The Sandbox, Silverdome, Indianapolis Coliseum, Springfield IL, Cincinnati, Dayton, Cow Palace, Kemper, and Races in I believe Louisiana,Alabama, Detroit and Canada have all been tried but couldn't catch on. Maybe a race around Milwaukee too. I'm sure there are several other places I don't know about.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 10/6/15 at 8:49 PM.

2 members like this post: jdull99, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/6/15, 8:55 PM   #24
arctic monkey21

I'm close enough that I'll definitely go and support them.

10/6/15, 9:17 PM   #25
treecitytornado

I raced indoors at the Seagate Centre in Toledo in 1999. I believe Columbus Ohio also tried an indoor race too. I enjoyed racing in the Hoosier/RCA Dome, and the FargoDome was a blast too!

2 members like this post: jim goerge, stealth43k
10/6/15, 9:55 PM   #26
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
I see that the Pacers are at the arena on December 11. This race is on December 12. I'm wondering how you build a dirt track in a few hours...... Who is promoting this? I can't find anything on the internet about this event.
Once again, if the (insert race here) made money, the promoters would book more shows. The fact that there is a long list of failed attempts at indoor racing shows you the economics of the deal.

I am not familiar at all with this arena or how big the track will be, but I did live through too painful days at Kemper. While the excitement was very high for the Friday night event, it soon became evident that the track was too small and tight to put on a great event. Saturday was some better because they reworked the corners a little, but it was not a great night of racing.

The concerns about the logistics are very real. I do not see how a safe racing surface/track can be created in less than 24 hours.

Finally, I don't have 10 good things about Kemper, but it would be pretty easy to create 10 lessons learned from Kemper. I just don't know if anyone wants to hear them.

2 members like this post: fish, Kansasdirtfan
10/6/15, 10:56 PM   #27
polecar

how big do you think the track will be? 1/6 mile?

10/6/15, 11:55 PM   #28
stealth43k

I will be there this is great

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
10/6/15, 11:56 PM   #29
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecar View Post
how big do you think the track will be? 1/6 mile?
How much does a 800ft steel barrier and probably a ten foot gate cover?

1 member likes this post: treecitytornado
10/7/15, 12:02 AM   #30
treecitytornado

I'd say it will be similar in size to the old Coliseum track at the Indy Fairgrounds. Definitely not as big as the Hoosier/RCA Dome.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Races at Banker's Life