IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Life
7/16/14, 9:53 AM   #1
Tire Life
goforit14

Just interested in some of the experienced racers opinion. How much wear is acceptable before a RR tire becomes unusable? I know to many this comes down to $, some higher dollar teams put new tires on before a feature, but I am not that team. But I can put on new tire when needed and just wanting to get thoughts. Is it good to re-groove for extending life or turn them around? Looking at tire, how can u tell when time to replace? I run Lightening Sprint with SP2 Hoosier.

1 member likes this post: sprint18
7/16/14, 2:54 PM   #2
Re: Tire Life
leaglen

I have turned them around for years without any problems. When the edges get rounded on both sides you will probably have to sharpen them up with a tire groover. Just be careful how deep you go. I have ran a tire with little tread on a hard track. It's not going to dig into the dirt anyway. However if money was no object I would run new ones all the time. I don't know if it is the lack of flexibility, or too many heat cycles making the rubber harder, but new ones will always work better. I have ran them pretty low on tread, but it was the end of the year and I was broke. LOL.

2 members like this post: 1021gpa, Drew Tarr
7/16/14, 11:45 PM   #3
fasster23

Heat cycles are more important than tread depth. Be careful when grinding. Get a 30-40 grit DA pad to grind them with. The rock grinders are so aggressive they can cause more harm than good if not careful. Plus they're dangerous as hell.

7/17/14, 9:32 AM   #4
Re: Tire Life
Bad Dad 54

Saw a tire that was pretty bald, & I asked the guys if they were gonna change it. They told me yes & that they got 13 races outta that tire. Won a race last year w/ it too, they were a lot of fun those guys

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Life