IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 08 R1 lacks down low
3/27/14, 8:19 AM   #1
08 R1 lacks down low
Andrew Martin

Hi everyone.
I have an R1 on alcohol with Rosson injection and a power commander 5. Has great top end but seriously lacks on a restart. Does anyone know if the electronic throttle set up kills these engines or should I be looking elsewhere.
Thanks

3/28/14, 7:32 AM   #2
Re: 08 R1 lacks down low
Duke17

We run a Kawi 636 with electronic injection and it works awesome.
Sounds like it may be over-fueled down low in the rpm range. Have you put the car on a chassis dyno to tune it? If not, that would really be the next step. That way you could really see what is happening with the injection and air/fuel ratio.
We use DC Chassis Dyno in Brownsburg, IN. Call Dan Pace at 317-607-7315. Tell him Duke sent you.

3/28/14, 11:37 AM   #3
MC@Performance Fab

Hi Andrew

The R1 motors thru 08 all lack torque, the 04-06 R1 is the worst of the liter class for torque and the 07-08 isn't really that much better. In 09 they made a huge change and now have plenty of torque but lack HP on the top. All of the small bore, high revving bike motors make only half the torque compared to HP so its not hard to see where one would need to look to make big gains in performance but here's the deal. Your never going to make a one size fits all velocity stack such as Rosson uses on these motors work, its just not going to happen. Cheaper to make, yes, but its just never going to work properly. You might want to give Brody Stewert a call at 618-305-4245, he's just tuned a 08 R1 powered minisprint with a proper intake setup made specifically for that motor.

Monte
Last edited by MC@Performance Fab; 3/28/14 at 11:39 AM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/28/14, 4:33 PM   #4
Andrew Martin

hanks guys
It has been on a chassis dyno.

3/28/14, 11:23 PM   #5
MC@Performance Fab

Do yourself a favor, give Brody a call.

3/29/14, 1:11 PM   #6
leaglen

I dont know about the R1, but on the R6 if the TPS sensor was bad it would do that.

4/1/14, 1:40 PM   #7
DAD

Andrew

Here I go again. The Yamaha is a little weak down low, other than that it is the best all around motor for mini sprints.. They make gobs of power once they get some revs built up.. We use a very simple shift arrangement that allows us to start in first and bang it into second before the turn if we think we have to.. We run Kaw's and that usually is not required, but if we think it is you had better get out of the way because we are coming on thru. The ecm on most new bikes is mapped to prevent gobs of torque down low. They want their riders to last long enough to pay off the bike. Each gear has it's own map. First is most retarded or restricted, followed by second a little less and third even better. After third gear they remove all of the restrictions. Most of the restrictions are also removed after about 7000 rpm's also so if you come around in first at about 5500 or 6000 rpm's you are good to go.

I would recommend the strongest chain you can get your hands on. We had a guy do a first gear start while setting on the pole, he hit second gear and bang snapped his chain, messed up a whole bunch of race cars us being one of them.

If you check the bike mags they also make a device(resistors) that makes the computer (They really aren't that smart) think that it is in 5 th gear all the time, and that does help a little also.

We pitted next to a couple of cars this weekend at Du Quoin that had Mac's Induction systems on them and he does builds a beautiful unit. Better than Rosson's and lighter too I bet,>> can you say "BIG".

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/2/14 at 8:55 AM.

4/2/14, 7:49 AM   #8
Andrew Martin

Thanks again everyone.
We wanted to try a new velocity stack. Will have to stay up late and call Brody. I'm on the other side of the planet (Australia). We aren't allowed to change gears although I'm sure many do.
Andrew

4/2/14, 7:51 AM   #9
Andrew Martin

Also when we got the car it had an 11 tooth front sprocket so it ran in 4th.

4/2/14, 12:04 PM   #10
DAD

Andrew

Did a little Google search and I guess the R1 is so down on torque they don't need TRE's (Timing Retard Eliminators). You should be able with the help of an add on ECM device alter (advance timing at lower rpm's) and use what is known as an accelerater pump program to help your problem.

Honest Dad himself

PS>>>> the next time you flush the comode could you post back in which direction the water turns (clockwise or counter clockwise). I got a bet ridding on it.
Last edited by DAD; 4/2/14 at 4:12 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 08 R1 lacks down low