IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #1 10/3/12 12:24 AM
Last thursday I had a fire in a storage unit I had been renting. Not just my unit , but ALL of them. I lost all my racing books and magazines, and all my negatives from 1980 to 2005. In all I lost everything from my baby book to books I picked up last year, 50 years worth of stuff.
I also lost autographed photos , programs, posters, and a Rich Vogler driving uniform, along with 270 model car kits.
If you want to thin a collection, let me tell you fire will do it quick.
As for insurance, I have some , but it will never be able to replace what I lost, so much is irreplacable.
As for you fellow photographers out there, fire is bad, and so is the water, for what didn't burned got bonded together by the water. Talk about fire safes all you want, but make sure water can't seep in also.
Here are a couple photos, there isn't much to see. I'm just thankful none of the fireman were injured, for this was a big blaze.

IMG_0180 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr
This is where my books and models were.

IMG_0177 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr
This is were some of my negatives were. The square blocks are negatives fused together by the fire.
fasster23 (Offline)
  #2 10/3/12 12:41 AM
My prayers to you. I can't imagine what that must be like.

Posted via Mobile Device
cmakin (Offline)
  #3 10/3/12 4:13 AM
Chris, man, I am very sorry to hear that. Like you, I am glad no one was hurt, but man. That has to hurt.

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #4 10/3/12 6:53 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss Chris. You are correct that insurance can never replace what you lost. A big part of your life just went up in smoke so to speak.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #5 10/3/12 7:04 AM
Sorry for your loss, Chris. Although I am glad no one was hurt, I am sure you are devastated. Sad indeed.
davidm (Offline)
  #6 10/3/12 7:22 AM
Chris I'm so sorry to see this has happened to you. That must have been very hard to see.
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #7 10/3/12 7:38 AM
Thanks for the concern, and yeah it does suck,but compared to what some peope on this board deal with I've got it pretty good.
11 Likes: AP64, babcock14d, billwill7, BrentTFunk, cmakin, Dalton Dietrich, jim goerge, Mud Packer, PJ Wright, randy j, speed bump
Bill Gardner (Offline)
  #8 10/3/12 8:23 AM
Sorry to read the bad news Chris! I'm sure some of the items can't be replaced but the good thing is you still have the memories.

Posted via Mobile Device

treecitytornado (Offline)
  #9 10/3/12 8:28 AM
Chris,

I am so sorry about what you are having to deal with! I know how much my years of collecting memorabilia means to me, so I understand your pain for sure!

J.T.
mowerman (Offline)
  #10 10/3/12 8:52 AM
Sorry to hear this Chris. It's really hard to deal with kind of loss. Just wanted to let you know we are thinking about you. Bob and Monica