IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is your favorite and why?
8/4/10, 7:16 PM   #1
What is your favorite and why?
Jackslash.com

What is your favorite era of nonwing sprint cars and why?

The 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, or today?

8/4/10, 7:41 PM   #2
Re: What is your favorite and why?
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Mine is today, because I don't live in the past I live in the now

8/4/10, 7:52 PM   #3
RGardner

Late 90's for me cause that was when I was growing up around the racetrack on the west coast! Watching my hero's Griffin, Kruseman, Kirby, Gaunt, Cline Williams etc duke it out every saturday night! I lived for saturday night, well I still do know but its something I will remember for the rest of my life! What I wouldn't do to go back in time to a random saturday night and be a little kid in the stands in aw of what I was seeing again! Man those where the days! The days of 40 plus cars at a random perris show! Simply awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

8/4/10, 8:06 PM   #4
Kevracer58

1960's, that's when I first saw sprint cars; you could clearly see the driver working his magic on the wheel; not hidden behind sidepanels like today.

8/4/10, 8:15 PM   #5
Jerry Shaw

I would say the 70's and now.

The 70's because that's when I learned to love the sport. I've been around it since my birth in 1964, but about 1970 or so is when I really started to realize what was going on around me. And if your first real exposure included weekly local battles between greats like Bob Kinser, Chuck Amati, Dick Gaines, Larry Miller, and Butch Wilkerson and Action Track racing classics with drivers like Pancho Carter, Gary B, Tom Bigelow, Sheldon Kinser, Larry Dickson, Joe Saldana and Chuck Gurney, then you would have very little chance of not being a fan of this for life. I know I never stood a chance.

And also this decade, because my favorite race is the next race. And we're in an era with it's share of competitors that would have been great in any era. Stanbrough, Jones, Coons, Hines and Clauson are a few names of drivers that have talent that would transfer (pun intended) to any racing generation. Plus, these things get just faster with every passing year. And when you look at the youngsters in this sport, it's clear that the future of open wheel racing is secure.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/4/10 at 8:46 PM.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, JEFFSTOY, jim goerge, Ricks Pics
8/4/10, 8:17 PM   #6
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Now and future cars are always getting faster and more safety eq is availble
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackslash.com View Post
What is your favorite era of nonwing sprint cars and why?

The 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, or today?
Posted via Mobile Device

8/4/10, 8:19 PM   #7
sp6967

back when drivers earned a ride and didn't have daddy to count on.

3 members like this post: Amatiforever, jontheturboguy, Need For Speed
8/4/10, 8:22 PM   #8
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGardner View Post
Late 90's for me cause that was when I was growing up around the racetrack on the west coast! Watching my hero's Griffin, Kruseman, Kirby, Gaunt, Cline Williams etc duke it out every saturday night! I lived for saturday night, well I still do know but its something I will remember for the rest of my life! What I wouldn't do to go back in time to a random saturday night and be a little kid in the stands in aw of what I was seeing again! Man those where the days! The days of 40 plus cars at a random perris show! Simply awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device
You know Ronny. I gotta agree. Being a little kid running around Perris and Manzi and Ventura. Watching the best of the best wishing we could be out there. The 90's were amazing. Its great to see people that we used to hang with out there on the track like you. Or racing against Damion Gardner, Rip Williams, and Cory Kruseman. I grew up idolizing these guys and now im out there with them. Shoot i still remember winning the co pilot award with Cory. I Loved the 90's. They were my fav.
Last edited by the1jet17; 8/4/10 at 8:34 PM.

8/4/10, 9:05 PM   #9
RGardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1jet17 View Post
You know Ronny. I gotta agree. Being a little kid running around Perris and Manzi and Ventura. Watching the best of the best wishing we could be out there. The 90's were amazing. Its great to see people that we used to hang with out there on the track like you. Or racing against Damion Gardner, Rip Williams, and Cory Kruseman. I grew up idolizing these guys and now im out there with them. Shoot i still remember winning the co pilot award with Cory. I Loved the 90's. They were my fav.
Haha I almost forgot about the co pilot thing! Also 96 97 I lived in indy used to kick dirt and play with little toy cars with josh spencer and trenten darland its always cool to see those two guys! a lot of old memories!
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, speed bump
8/4/10, 9:12 PM   #10
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Amen to this
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
back when drivers earned a ride and didn't have daddy to count on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is your favorite and why?