IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prayers for fellow racers
7/19/10, 10:13 AM   #1
Prayers for fellow racers
wtvwrocks

Please say a prayer for fellow racers Wayne Johnson, Tyson and Travis Rilat. They all suffered severe injuries from separate incidents while racing in Washington. Wayne was injured when a drive line broke and the Rilat's where involved in a methanol explosion. They are all being treated in the same hospital. I'm sure the families would appreciate our prayers and support.

7/20/10, 1:19 AM   #2
Re: Prayers for fellow racers
dansprint

The two badly burned were Travis Rilat and Crew member Tyson Perez (from Australia)

Hopefully these two men can make a good recovery.. My thoughts are with them and their familyies
Last edited by dansprint; 7/20/10 at 1:30 AM.

3 members like this post: IndyBound, interpreter66, jim goerge
7/20/10, 6:58 AM   #3
Sausage

I read a bit about this over on Hoseheads. Our family will have them all in our thoughts and prayers. Apparently there were some bad crashes in the support races (mini sprints?) too. One of those rare nights where it was just a bad deal all around. I don't think the accident with Travis and Tyson was at the track, the story I read said it was at a motor shop in Seattle. In any case, I pray for all to stay strong, recover and hope to see you racing soon.

7/20/10, 7:22 AM   #4
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

I caught this on twitter yesterday afternoon. I was just thinking that with the WoO racing up here in Canada at the end of the month if Wayne would be racing. He usually races at Ohsweken a few times a year, I just shot some wings there on Friday. The burns sound pretty severe, I can't imagine being burned in my own country let alone one across the world.

http://www.examiner.com/x-10906-Spri...shop-explosion

Thoughts and prayers to all.
Last edited by apexonephoto; 7/20/10 at 7:26 AM.

7/20/10, 2:07 PM   #5
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
I read a bit about this over on Hoseheads. Our family will have them all in our thoughts and prayers. Apparently there were some bad crashes in the support races (mini sprints?) too. One of those rare nights where it was just a bad deal all around. I don't think the accident with Travis and Tyson was at the track, the story I read said it was at a motor shop in Seattle. In any case, I pray for all to stay strong, recover and hope to see you racing soon.
The accident involving Travis and Tyson wasn't at the track or the engine shop,it was at another shop that's near the engine shop.
This all happened as a result of a stunt gone bad, according to a newspaper article.
It seems that they took a 55gal. fuel drum and filled it with 4or5 gallons of fuel and while one of them was sitting on the drum as it lay on it's side the other lit the fuel on fire,the desired results would have been the drum being propeled across the ground like a rocket,but instead it caused a large explosion resulting in very serious burns to each.
I pray for their recovery as both are in critical condition,but I have to ask myself,why would anybody try something like that.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/20/10, 5:15 PM   #6
mortboyz

While I hope both of these young guys make a full recovery from what sounds like devastating injuries, their experiment sure sounds like a Darwin Award candidate.....

7/21/10, 1:20 PM   #7
Kevracer58

Any update on these two?

7/21/10, 2:17 PM   #8
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevracer58 View Post
Any update on these two?
Just read on face book that TONY PEREZ didn't make it . So sorry to hear.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/21/10, 2:18 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

I just heard the same. Tyson, better known around the Australian racing scene as "Spud" has passed away.

7/21/10, 2:24 PM   #10
RacingGirl10

It is on the ASCS website

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prayers for fellow racers