IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What You Can do -
8/16/16, 11:27 AM   #1
What You Can do -
Tim Clauson

The outpouring of love and support from our racing family is something that we could of never expected. I have been asked over and over again "What can we do for you and your family"

After giving it a lot of thought it finally dawned on me on what every sprint car team, owner, driver, crew member could do to show support for not only our family but more importantly for Bryan.

It is simple #GYATK there are few things that Bryan loved more then racing at Kokomo Speedway and I know he will be smiling down on the night and nothing would make him happier then seeing the pits filled with Sprint Cars.

If you own a sprint car, drive a sprint car please #GYATK Wednesday and help put on a show that BC would be proud of.

Thank You
Tim, Diana, Taylor & Lauren
Last edited by Tim Clauson; 8/16/16 at 11:32 AM.

8/16/16, 12:19 PM   #3
Re: What You Can do -
Tim Clauson

I wanted to share this story as it really touched me and I think it exemplifies the love that Bryan had for young drivers accepting new challenges and an understanding of how much guts it takes to step out of their comfort zone to compete at the highest of levels.

A message (post) sent to me last week.

I wanna tell you guys about the first time I met Bryan Clauson.

We were at Eagle Raceway a couple years ago when he was still driving for Tony Stewart. It was my first year in a sprint car and my first time ever running a non wing car. We ended up pitting next to Bryan that night.

I'll be honest. I was scared out of my mind. I had maybe 6-7 nights in a 305 wing sprint car under my belt and I was lining up against the best 410 non wing racers in the country. In my mind I wasn't worthy to even catch the mud off these guys' tires in hotlaps. I was in wayyyy over my head.

I had no sponsors, was running used tires, had a small horsepower engine, and was just there to get a little experience and a paycheck. In the eyes of the big USAC teams there, I was just a slow underfunded ******* that would be in their way. And they were right.

But Bryan didn't see it that way. He saw a young kid chasing a dream.

He came over to my pit and talked to me for a while. Bryan told me I had guts for coming out and trying and race against those guys.

He wished me good luck and later on in the night he gave me a thumbs up as we were getting strapped in to our cars for the heat race.

I was a nobody and Bryan made me feel like I mattered. I don't think he realized what kind of impact that made on me.

Bryan was somebody I really looked up to. He was everything I wanted to be as a sprint car driver. Professional, fearless, extremely talented, focused, and incredibly humble. He had every reason to brag about his racing career but there was not a sliver of pride in his character. And he loved helping young drivers trying to get their careers going. Whether they actually drove for him or just happened to pit next to him that night, he'd do anything to help.

It still doesn't seem real that he's gone.
Rest in peace, Bryan. We love you and miss you.

While I had no knowledge of the interaction between Bryan and this driver on this night I do remember it well as on the way to where ever it was we were heading Bryan made the comment that we were lucky that kid next to us didn't have a 410 because he did one heck of a job.

I post this because Bryan truly enjoyed and more importantly respected those who stepped out of their comfort zone to chase a dream ... the dream.

If this can inspire just one driver to step out and make that first start at kokomo next Wednesday I think he would be proud.

Thank You
Tim Clauson
Last edited by Tim Clauson; 8/16/16 at 12:20 PM.

8/16/16, 12:37 PM   #4
rg1

To the best of Brett's & my knowledge the all time Kokomo Sprint Car Count record stands at 58. Nothing would make us happier than seeing 63+ cars on this night. It's simply about #GYATK on 8/24 for BC.

8/16/16, 5:53 PM   #5
Tim Clauson

Would love to see a list of first timers heading to Kokomo next Wednesday.

8/16/16, 6:25 PM   #6
chastaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Jared Chastain #52c

8/16/16, 6:43 PM   #7
rclaridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
A friend of mine,Chet Williams #38 from Newburgh In, is trying to fit it in his work schedule. He has ran Kokomo once before but still wants to support the cause if at all possible!!

8/16/16, 7:23 PM   #8
MKTQ17

Josh burton had made his orange tires his own and when we see those bright orange tires we all remember. I think a night of green tires would fit the evening very well.

8/16/16, 7:45 PM   #9
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I wish I had a sprint car...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

8/16/16, 8:39 PM   #10
LJC77

I know the days of drivers showing up with thier helmets looking for rides are long gone, but maybe for this show someone out there with a car and no driver is interested in supporting this show.
I have 13 years experience in a midget with one championship and driven Kokomo once. I've never been in a sprint car but am itching to do it.
Can't say we'll make the show but I'd love to try.

Any interest you can call me anytime.

708-846-5762
Lamont Critchett

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What You Can do -