IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Hamilton rues missed oppurtunity at Rumble
12/28/14, 9:17 AM   #1
Kyle Hamilton rues missed oppurtunity at Rumble
Task Force

KYLE HAMILTON RUES MISSED OPPURTUNITY AT RUMBLE
By Zach Tasker
Day number 2 of 3 for the annual Rumble in Fort Wayne indoor midget races occurred on Saturday December 27. Kyle Hamilton once again had a strong car under him and looked as he would be a favorite to try once again to pick up his first indoor national midget feature victory. The evening started well with practice and qualifying. Kyle would set the ninth fastest time in qualifying with a lap of 8.128 seconds, even after pulling off on lap two with engine gremlins that the team would later diagnose.

Up next on Saturday nights agenda was the 4th heat race, “The professor” would start in 3rd position with only the top two transferring into the night's feature. Hamilton would put on an amazing clinic wowing the spectators as he quickly started to work the high line in the ten lap affair. He went to the outside of Geoff Kaiser to take the 2nd spot then motored around Matt Westfall on the extreme high line which is very rare on the extremely flat 1/6 mile concrete oval. Hamilton would go on to win the heat race in convincing fashion to punch his ticket to the big dance. “The leaders left the door open for me because they were blocking so much so I decided why not try the top because I had nothing to lose, so it worked. That was just a cool move.”

The feature was up next and Hamilton and the entire #33 team had high hopes as he would start 3rd and not have to come from deep in the field as the night prior to finish 7th. However, things quickly started to unravel as on lap two Kyle lost control in turn 2 and looped the car bringing out the yellow. This drama put him at the tail of the field and on lap four things got even worse. The front bumper fell off of the car which he then ran over causing him a flat tire and an early DNF. The driver of the #33 Curtis Motor Sales/Advanced Racing Suspension/Walker and Sons Construction/Simpson Racing Spike/Esslinger was majorly disappointed and hard on himself after blowing what he felt was a race winning car.

“I was trying to ride there in the pack and just made a really dumb rookie mistake. I drove it in just a little too deep and picked up the rear end when I got on the brakes and looped it. You can't make mistakes like that at this place at this stage in the game. I got guys working way too hard for me. I felt bad for all my guys they have been working their butts off, but you have to move on. You have to have a short memory because we have to get back out here tomorrow, and it's hard to let stuff like that go, but we will do it. I've had dumb mistakes in the past, but you try to forget them as quickly as possible. I'm just kicking myself right now to be honest. I think the front bumper may have got weakened when I bumped somebody, and it slid under my tire and popped it, so that was just a good icing on the cake to a bad night. Tonight proved that racing can take you to hero to zero real quick.”

The Danville, Indiana native will get one more shot at Fort Wayne glory on Sunday afternoon as the Rumble finishes up with its final day. Racing is at 2:30pm, you can follow the progress of the with live updates at Kyle Hamilton Racing on Facebook.
Attached Images
hamilton feature.jpg (83.9 KB, 30 views)
Last edited by Task Force; 12/28/14 at 9:20 AM.

12/28/14, 9:41 AM   #2
Re: Kyle Hamilton rues missed oppurtunity at Rumble
Task Force

NICK HAMILTON SCORES SECOND STRAIGHT TOP TEN AT RUMBLE
By Zach Tasker
Nick Hamilton has spent most of his racing career in the shadow of his older brother Kyle. This weekend’s annual Rumble in Fort Wayne midget races at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum seems to be Nick’s time to shine. On Saturday December 27, he was pumped up to get the nights racing started after an impressive 9th place feature finish the night prior. The night in the Gregg Steele owned car started decently in practice and qualifying which he would time in the 20th position with a lap of 8.336 seconds.

This would put the soon to be Danville Community High School grad in the fifth and final heat race where he would be starting in pole position. Hamilton already picked up one heat race win on Friday night and was looking for two in a row. He would lead the first few circuits before Jimmy Anderson swiftly moved to the inside in turn 1 to take the point. Nick would finish the heat in 2nd position still transferring to the feature. “He (Anderson) was obviously faster but after he got past me, I just tried to get down as fast as I could. “

He would start in the tenth position. Just like on Friday night Nick would quietly stay in the back of the pack and out of trouble and pick up spots when other cars would bang into each other and move themselves out of the race. It was a yellow flag filled affair as there would be no less than ten yellows in the 50 lap feature. Even though Nick spun on Lap two to avoid hitting his brother who had spun out and also spun midway through the race after contact with Bryan Nuckles, he suffered no major damage. He worked his way all the way back up to 6th spot at one point before settling for 8th finishing position.

Two straight top ten finishes in an event such as the prestigious Rumble at Fort Wayne had the driver of the #1 Curtis Motor Sales/Danville Community High School Beast/Focus thrilled with a great weekend so far. “We just didn’t know how it was going to be when we started when we came here but just to put it in the show was good. Just to last the whole race was good there was a lot of crazy stuff going on ahead of us. When there is not even ten cars that finish, it’s not that hard to get a top ten. You just sit back and wait for other people to do stupid stuff, so I don’t have to do it.”

The 3rd and final day of the Rumble in Fort Wayne commences on Sunday afternoon, with a 2pm racing start. Follow Kyle Hamilton Racing on Facebook for live updates as both Hamilton brothers look to close out the 2014 racing season with a strong result.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Hamilton rues missed oppurtunity at Rumble