Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting
11/16/14, 10:59 AM   #1
king of the tqs meeting
tq 91

Is there any news available from the meeting

11/16/14, 2:39 PM   #2
badcoupe

Nothing really new, agreed that pumping motors was acceptable if the number the pump comes up with is questionable then the head will be pulled. Appointed 4 people to research new motor combos rules etc.

11/18/14, 10:16 PM   #3
Re: king of the tqs meeting
trannyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq 91 View Post
Is there any news available from the meeting
No changes or adjustments to rules for engines for 2015.As mentioned,looking into what changes,if any,for the years to come.

11/19/14, 11:07 AM   #4
TQ29m

If that is a fact, that's good, there is a need to get into newer engines, but not run off all the old ones, if done with a knowledge of what engine you're dealing with, it is a whole lot cheaper for the 21st century tech engines, plus the availability at reasonable costs are here now. I've been running a stock 600cc 4 valve motor since 2005, simply because of cost, and reliability, and it has been competitive. Bob

1 member likes this post: 24midgets
11/19/14, 11:20 AM   #5
DAD

Bob

They may not like it but I see TQ's getting closer to Mini Sprints or Kenyon racers in the future. The new 4 valve motors are made with light weight castings and won't lend them selves well to butchering. Besides the self starters and gear changes make for a faster race program, something promoters would mostly likely be in favor of.

Tradition is a hard thing to get rid of.

Honest Dad himself

11/19/14, 12:36 PM   #6
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Bob

They may not like it but I see TQ's getting closer to Mini Sprints or Kenyon racers in the future. The new 4 valve motors are made with light weight castings and won't lend them selves well to butchering. Besides the self starters and gear changes make for a faster race program, something promoters would mostly likely be in favor of.

Tradition is a hard thing to get rid of.

Honest Dad himself
DAD, I for one do not agree, as one who has "butchered" a lot of these engines, there is no problem with the castings, and I make castings for the Yamaha 600R, to allow direct change over for the oil, fuel, ignition, and the connections for the drive line, from the Honda directly to the Yamaha. I spent a lot of time making this changeover as painless as possible, but it does require some knowledge of working on engines, I really think you're betting on the wrong horse, the TQ was here long before the Mini, and "Tradition" will help carry it onward. Bob

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DAD, jontheturboguy, Ken Bonnema
11/19/14, 2:24 PM   #7
DAD

Bob

Your motor is considered "Old School" when compared to a modern 2005 and up designs.. The newer motors are cast in permanent molds and you wont find a casting over 1/8 of an inch thick anywhere in them. I had a 1974 Honda 750 bike back in '75 because a guy had thrown a chain through the crankcase. It was cast heavy enough all I did was weld up the hole in both sides of the block Machine it with a 14" rough cut bastard file and ride on. That isn't the case now days. With modern Ignition and Injection technology, it is time to get on with the program.

Being a relatively Young man my self, I say that The days of Mechanical Injection, carburetors and non electronics has come and gone. I like the quick change rear end idea, that is high tec for me, especially if you have ever spent an hour of so trying to change gears with a chain drive car when it is 95 degrees outside and you only have a few minutes to get in the line up.

I have a bunch of these 200+ horsepower zx10R motors laying around because they have big windows in the crankcase, and they are just too thin to weld up without making a big mess and probably throwing the main bearings out of line. I wanted to make a V8 out of them but I couldn't figure out how to cut that stacked on top of the crankcase transmission off and seal up the hole.

You guys got them High dollar Kawasakis running with you right now (We would consider them to be Old School Designs) You can buy a stock motor right off the bike at one tenth the cost of the high dollar motors replace the sprocket with a U-joint and go racing and out run those guy.

I have been talking for years, the new bike motors don't leave any room for improvements to the engine, They can spend the big bucks on their motors if they want to, but all they end up with is an expensive "Placebo", a big hole in their wallet and some guy with a stock motored car will motor right on around them in a race.

If tradition is so strong why aren't you guys still racing those Tin block Crosleys. ( I can't think of their name right now)!! Somebody in TQ's must have taken a giant step of faith forward a long time ago back in the 70"s. You need somebody to take another step forward in the next 30 or 40 years.

Honest Dad himself

11/19/14, 3:02 PM   #8
TQ29m

DAD, the 600's I'm cutting are current engines, with the new tech in castings, and all the new tech stuff in machining, if you know what you're doing, they machine up real nice, plenty of places to drill and tap for plating the cases, and speaking of the Crosleys, and the transition to the Honda, I was one of the first involved in doing the machining needed to adapt them, another fellow and I did one for Dave Norris, about that time frame. I was having a seat repaired the other day, on my Mustang, and the trim guy was telling me that parts for the Crosley are still plentiful, new, and not all that expensive, he rebuilds them for himself, and others in the Crosley club he belongs to. You can talk all you want about the good the bad and the ugly with the TQ, but it takes a pretty savvy guy to build and maintain one, not unlike a full midget or a sprint car, you have to be able to think out of the box, and learn to do stuff for yourself, rather than just show up with your hard head, and drive. I realize there are a lot of guys like that anymore, but I have about 5 guys that are real good at both, problem is, work and wives are taking them away, so I'm looking to do something else, that's why I bought the Mustang, besides, never did have one, had about everything else, even a split window 63 Corvette, but never a Mustang, now I got one. Bob!

11/19/14, 4:39 PM   #9
DAD

Bob

I will have to bring you up one of these zx10 blocks maybe I can't see the forest for the trees.

Honest dad himself

11/19/14, 6:14 PM   #10
badcoupe

The way the new cases are built there's no need to cut them at all. Gut the trans have the adapter made and done. They are so narrow you have plenty of room for the entire case. We have a '13 kawasaki (Combs) and a 08 gsxr (Blue) running with us and thats it. Comb's cases are not cut and he even still runs the stock wet sump oiling system.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting