IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in ‘23
1/27/22, 5:25 PM   #21
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Somebody on Hoseheads said there is a system for $600 (maybe it was two years ago and is $750 now)...either way, not too bad if your racing for $10,000 to win...but proly won't do anything to help a team thats struggling just to be there...
!
I would think that it will hurt there car count from the local cars.

3 members like this post: jdull99, motorhead748, sprinter14
1/27/22, 9:31 PM   #22
Re: World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in
Kendall2020

Not sure if you're referring to Roy Hicks but it didnt blow his foot off but the bottle did go through his ankle.
This happened at Winchester in 79 or so.

1/28/22, 11:45 AM   #23
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
You think maybe fire suppression systems have possibly improved in the last 50 years?
Folks,

While I am older than several on this forum there are a few things I am ignorant about concerning earlier sprint car construction. Can someone enlighten me as to the location of the fuel pump on injected cars of the 60's, 70's, etc.? Was it in the cockpit as they have been for the last few decades?

Tim Simmons

1/28/22, 12:07 PM   #24
TQ29m

I don't recall seeing any driven off of a wheel, but I bet they have been.

1/28/22, 12:31 PM   #25
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Folks,

While I am older than several on this forum there are a few things I am ignorant about concerning earlier sprint car construction. Can someone enlighten me as to the location of the fuel pump on injected cars of the 60's, 70's, etc.? Was it in the cockpit as they have been for the last few decades?

Tim Simmons
Old Hilborn pumps ran off the front of the cam.

Here's a picture of an injected front engine dragster. They still run about the same setup.
Attached Images
maxresdefault.jpg (166.3 KB, 45 views)
Last edited by kendirt; 1/28/22 at 12:44 PM.

1/28/22, 12:43 PM   #26
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
Couldn’t agree with you more. And we raced at I-44 with Harli, so we know first hand. That’s why I’m glad we now race at a track owned by firemen.
While you may find comfort in that, make sure you are responsible for your own safety as well. I was racing in Sun Prairie with a new car back around 2008 and had an engine fire from a cracked fuel fitting on the injection. I pulled in by the push off area and several people came running with fire extinguishers. The first three extinguishers did not work. It wasn't until the fourth person came over with a working extinguisher that it was put out. I was pleasntly surprised to see a whole bunch of new fire extinguishers at the track the following week.

5 members like this post: 48modracer, luckybuc97, Pitdad, PJ Wright, racenut69
1/28/22, 1:57 PM   #27
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
Old Hilborn pumps ran off the front of the cam.

Here's a picture of an injected front engine dragster. They still run about the same setup.
Interesting - No high pressure fuel pump/fittings/hoses/bypasses in the cockpit between the driver's legs.

Tim Simmons

2 members like this post: Dougherty20, trannyman
1/28/22, 4:27 PM   #28
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
While you may find comfort in that, make sure you are responsible for your own safety as well. I was racing in Sun Prairie with a new car back around 2008 and had an engine fire from a cracked fuel fitting on the injection. I pulled in by the push off area and several people came running with fire extinguishers. The first three extinguishers did not work. It wasn't until the fourth person came over with a working extinguisher that it was put out. I was pleasntly surprised to see a whole bunch of new fire extinguishers at the track the following week.
Totally agree. Safety is our responsibility first.

At least since we started running at The Prairie, no cars are on the track until the safety crew is suited up and in position, even for engine heat.
Attached Images
9885648B-FE8A-4563-B15E-50D8F9DD444E.jpeg (761.8 KB, 38 views)

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, PJ Wright
1/28/22, 5:29 PM   #29
cshuman

We started giving a weight break to guys for putting them in cars with WAR a couple years ago.. Quite a few teams put them in with no issues.

1/28/22, 6:48 PM   #30
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Interesting - No high pressure fuel pump/fittings/hoses/bypasses in the cockpit between the driver's legs.

Tim Simmons
I’ve ran them both ways on the sprints and silver crown cars. Both ways have their pluses and minuses. In the mid 90’s Waterman had an emergency fuel shut off valve that we ran on the silver crown cars. It had a pin with a red flag attached to it so it was visible to the safety crews. You pulled a pin and then pulled a t handle attached to a cable and it shut the fuel off at the tank.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in ‘23