IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC’s Bonus Bucks
1/24/22, 12:02 AM   #1
USAC’s Bonus Bucks
flagboy55

Was anyone else intrigued by the bonuses installed for multiple championships won this upcoming season for USAC? What was it, $300,000 for all three, and $150,000 for two or something like that? 3 is almost impossible in my mind. At first glance I would say only Justin Grant world have a shot at that. But 2, albeit a very tough and remarkable accomplishment, I don’t think are beyond the realm of possibility. This challenge in itself, i was hoping was enough to keep Tanner Thorson in the fold for at least another season. I’m also hoping that it’s enough to encourage Brady to run a full time midget as well as the sprint. So for the topic of discussion, who do you guy’s think could have a chance at 2. JG is an obvious choice, but there’s others who could have a shot. I’ll let you fill in the blanks

2 members like this post: jdull99, WinglessLovers
1/24/22, 8:30 AM   #2
Re: USAC’s Bonus Bucks
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

The biggest problem is securing three good rides. and the SC for both Dirt and Asphalt. There are several capable of doing two or three. Not going to name names but there is more to championships than just winning races. Consistency and few or no DNF's.

The drive it in till they either lift or we both wreck style of driving doesn't fit that.

1 member likes this post: Pitdad
1/24/22, 10:00 AM   #3
Heromaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Was anyone else intrigued by the bonuses installed for multiple championships won this upcoming season for USAC? What was it, $300,000 for all three, and $150,000 for two or something like that? 3 is almost impossible in my mind. At first glance I would say only Justin Grant world have a shot at that. But 2, albeit a very tough and remarkable accomplishment, I don’t think are beyond the realm of possibility. This challenge in itself, i was hoping was enough to keep Tanner Thorson in the fold for at least another season. I’m also hoping that it’s enough to encourage Brady to run a full time midget as well as the sprint. So for the topic of discussion, who do you guy’s think could have a chance at 2. JG is an obvious choice, but there’s others who could have a shot. I’ll let you fill in the blanks
Don't forget Logan Seavy.....

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, opnwhlmnd
1/24/22, 10:01 AM   #4
jonboat15

Not sure how many drivers can secure all of the rides but I think Seavey could give Grant a challenge for a triple crown. Any other drivers that might try it?

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, oppweld
1/24/22, 11:59 AM   #5
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
The biggest problem is securing three good rides. and the SC for both Dirt and Asphalt. There are several capable of doing two or three. Not going to name names but there is more to championships than just winning races. Consistency and few or no DNF's.

The drive it in till they either lift or we both wreck style of driving doesn't fit that.
Totally agree. It comes down to finding all the rides you would need to compete in all phases. I like the concept. You go back and look at some of the old championships, you didn’t have to be a master of all phases (dirt/pavement, short track/mile, etc.) but you have to be capable of all and really good at at least one or two.

I agree, the “win it or wear it” mentality will not work if you’re chasing this. Where it gets interesting is for the guys chasing the bonus competing with the Ricky Bobbys.

1/25/22, 12:56 AM   #6
chrismattlin

I haven't paid attention to his plans, but if Buddy Kofoid is coming back for another full season of USAC Midgets, then I would think that a full season Silver Crown ride would be the logical, and natural, progression for him. If that is the case, then he would also be a contender for the $150,000 bonus. IMO

2 members like this post: fish, sprinter14
1/25/22, 8:07 AM   #7
deadhorse30

Honestly, I see this as a non issue. This is simply a gimmick by USAC because they know they'll never have to pay it out. The triple has only happened twice and is incredibly hard to accomplish. To have the quality of ride and the successful seasons in multiple divisions like is probably not going to happen.

2 members like this post: bighd0522, interpreter66
1/25/22, 9:30 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhorse30 View Post
Honestly, I see this as a non issue. This is simply a gimmick by USAC because they know they'll never have to pay it out. The triple has only happened twice and is incredibly hard to accomplish. To have the quality of ride and the successful seasons in multiple divisions like is probably not going to happen.

If Bacon were to secure all three, I could easily see him getting two, maybe all three. But I don't see that as his goals right now. he makes time for family. And if anyones noticed, is only hitting the $$ midget races when he can
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/25/22 at 10:11 AM.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
1/25/22, 11:02 AM   #9
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
OK Folks - I'm just going to throw this out there (not trying to hijack this thread),

Each of the drivers mentioned, and potentially a couple of others, do indeed have a chance at this bonus, but none has a chance without car owners - you know, the folks that provide the cars, support resources, dollars, etc. Is there any additional incentive for the owners? I applaud USAC for coming up with this deal but feel maybe they've left out the folks who really support their program.

Just maybe some food for thought.

Tim Simmons

3 members like this post: bighd0522, Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART
1/25/22, 12:20 PM   #10
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
OK Folks - I'm just going to throw this out there (not trying to hijack this thread),

Each of the drivers mentioned, and potentially a couple of others, do indeed have a chance at this bonus, but none has a chance without car owners - you know, the folks that provide the cars, support resources, dollars, etc. Is there any additional incentive for the owners? I applaud USAC for coming up with this deal but feel maybe they've left out the folks who really support their program.

Just maybe some food for thought.

Tim Simmons
Seems like any arrangements made between driver and car owner would be similar to how they would split up the purse payouts for, say a feature win. There's never officially a separate payout for driver and owner but there's always some sort of agreement made between the 2 parties (i.e., the traditional "60/40" split).
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Hustlin-Hoosier, jonboat15
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC’s Bonus Bucks