IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Belle-Clair
1/24/22, 6:28 PM   #11
Re: Belle-Clair
Andrew S. Quinn

Love that place,simple as that.

I used to tell people that "If there is a more exciting place where they race midgets, I havent found it yet"........

1/24/22, 8:02 PM   #12
opnwhlmnd

They had 3 mid-week wing sprint shows there in the 90s, like 97 or 98, I made all three with my car we were doing 7 something second laps. Best finish for me was 3rd all 3 times or 2nd loser all 3 times.

Ran a midget there a bunch in the late 80s. It's a shame to see it go away.

1/24/22, 9:09 PM   #13
BrentTFunk

Fairs are the biggest haters of racing in this country. Remember the Indy mile. Sad things is there was a time when auto racing saved many of those same fairs.

1/24/22, 10:41 PM   #14
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Fairs are the biggest haters of racing in this country. Remember the Indy mile. Sad things is there was a time when auto racing saved many of those same fairs.
Glad to say there are some exceptions to the overall animosity fairboards have for racing.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

1/24/22, 11:08 PM   #15
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Belle Clair was good,I'll take Mighty Macon anytime though JMO.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"
Last edited by Dirtfan; 1/25/22 at 6:21 AM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF, racenut69, tirespinner, wildman92
1/24/22, 11:35 PM   #16
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
Glad to say there are some exceptions to the overall animosity fairboards have for racing.
I agree. Sheboygan County Fair Board has been awfully good for a long time, as have the neighbors in Plymouth. If you’ve never been, the track and fairgrounds are in the middle of an old neighborhood. Houses that back up to the back straightaway pits have party decks and can watch the festivities.

1/24/22, 11:51 PM   #17
ISF

Have had the pleasure of attending midget shows at both Little Belleville and Mighty Macon. Night in, night out I'd rate the racing quality of the midgets about the same giving just a slight edge to Mighty Macon.

3 members like this post: Dirtfan, racenut69, tirespinner
1/25/22, 9:00 AM   #18
miledirt

Both are great for sure. I'd have to give a slight edge to Belleville. What a shame to see it now

1/25/22, 10:57 AM   #19
sw1911

My first recollection of racing is at Belle Clair in the 60's. We and hundreds of others rooted for Dandy Don's 28 coupe. Pits in the infield. No fire suits. Standing starts. Flagman down on the track. There was always a car being welded on. The beer guy pushed around a cart with a wash tub full of beer cans and ice. I'm thinking Allied raced three nights back then. We had to pick between burgers and fries at Sandys or racing on Friday nights. Racing normally won. It looks like they didn't pay property tax last year and the tax bill was auctioned off.

4 members like this post: jdull99, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
1/26/22, 10:50 AM   #20
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
Port Royal would be one, Knoxville would be another. both have done a lot for racing.

6 members like this post: chrismattlin, Dirtfan, oppweld, Pitdad, PJ Wright, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Belle-Clair