IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Flo coverage of Toledo Silver Crown
4/28/19, 10:37 PM   #31
Re: Flo coverage of Toledo Silver Crown
HDINDY

That crash reminded me of when Robbie got hit at Winchester. Just a reminder of how fast things in racing can happen. The high banks can be brutal.

5 members like this post: Bostonian, Charles Nungester, fish, tirespinner, TommyTipover
4/29/19, 2:54 AM   #32
RockinRy

Race Count This Year: 12

Before he got actually ran into (Tyler) Another car was flying and just missed him. There is no way all those guys missed the yellow. I kept going back to watch the replay and I can't see any yellow lights on just the flag man. That was scary I hope that kid (I believe it was Tyler) that went off in the ambulance is okay.

2 members like this post: Bostonian, tirespinner
4/29/19, 7:56 AM   #33
ossuks

There are 3 ways of communicating with the drivers.
1) Lights
2) Race control radio
3) Spotters

All seemed to fail....In the audio from the tower two people on radios can be herd....one is the track/safety, and he is actually rolling trucks while the cars that eventually run into trouble on the front stretch are entering turn 3....and you can hear another person say "yellow, yellow, front stretch"....there is no way "all" the drivers missed race control, so, was the radio on the wrong channel, were radio checks done prior to the start of the event, did the race control radio not work (dead battery, unplugged. ect)....

Not going to place blame but, this MUST be fixed, this has to be an eye opener...there are steps to take to prevent this from happening....was the starter in control of the lights?....all types of questions that 1 or 2 guys know the answer to!

You just do not wake up one day and decide you are a race official/director...there is a lot that goes into planning and running a safe event.... there are steps that can be taken to prevent this type of travesty from reoccurring.... You can get in wrong in tech, you can get it wrong on track prep, you can miss on a time schedule, ect.... You can not miss on driver /fan/participant safety....No excuse....It is not balls and strikes...It is somebody's son, dad, brother, husband, wife, daughter, friend!!!

And to quote my Father..."There are no replacement parts in stock"!
Last edited by ossuks; 4/29/19 at 8:46 AM.

4/29/19, 8:41 AM   #34
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDINDY View Post
That crash reminded me of when Robbie got hit at Winchester. Just a reminder of how fast things in racing can happen. The high banks can be brutal.
Exactly, I counted 14 seconds (Almost a lap) from yellow flying to impact.

1 member likes this post: Bostonian
4/29/19, 8:42 AM   #35
Kydehart

They weren’t allowed spotters at this event. One way radios only. Spotters would have avoided the whole thing even with race control dropping the ball

1 member likes this post: rockstar5
4/29/19, 8:50 AM   #36
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

There used to be a poster on here named IMZIE who passed several years ago. Former Flagman. Was huge on, And I agree,. having two people in the flag stand.

Would say the flagman counted laps and watched turns 3/4 handled the flags and counted laps, and the other spotted 1/2 handled lights.

I don't know what went on here. But it was a epic failure and I hope everyone is ok.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, Chief Wahoo, RockinRy
4/29/19, 10:24 AM   #37
jsfan

From what I saw in the videos & via social media later, it was a combination of the flagman forgot to flip the yellow lights on and race control apparently didn't change from USAC's Raceceiver channel to the AVSSBB channel. Lucky no one was horribly hurt or worse

2 members like this post: Bostonian, tirespinner
4/29/19, 3:57 PM   #38
HDINDY

Whom ever is found at fault ,Are they going to pay for the damage to the race cars? Or is that a cost of stupidity in the learning curve. You only have human error or a act of God. Fixed it..
Last edited by HDINDY; 4/29/19 at 4:38 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/29/19, 4:11 PM   #39
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDINDY View Post
Whom ever is found at fault ,Are they going to pay for the damage to the race cars? Or is that a cost of stupidity in the learning curve. You only have human error or a act of God. USAC get out the check book.
USAC wasn't the sanctioning body for the sprint car race, just the Silver crown.

4/29/19, 4:38 PM   #40
HDINDY

Fixed that stupidity..Thanks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Flo coverage of Toledo Silver Crown