IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora format change
9/26/16, 9:49 AM   #1
eldora format change
david mitchell
Banned

Keep all four classes. Run all prelims on Sat nite. B-mains and features on Sunday like it used to be.The track is not destroyed from 10 hours of constant running.You cannot run 125 high horsepower cars on a dirt track like Saturday nite and not expect problems.It is that simple. Oh, I forgot, we can't run during the day anymore.A vampire mentality exists among promoters and fans for some reason. The track would be bad if we ran in the day. HMMM, seems this thread is about that very problem.It reminds me of a old hockey quote from a coach.We can't win on the road and we can't win at home, my only failure as coach is finding another place to play.I think day and night are our only alternatives.It seems Eldora has the dust problem to a greater degree than anywhere else. I don't know the last time completely new clay was put in,but that could be one of the major problems.It is never good when you see Parents taking out their children and leaving. Biggest 4-crown crowd in years and this happens. Not a way to grow fanbase.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART, Rapid Rick
9/26/16, 10:24 AM   #2
Re: eldora format change
chrismattlin

Friday night: Qualifying and heats
Saturday night: B's and A features

That's how Earl did it, and a fool he was not.

9/26/16, 10:25 AM   #3
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
Keep all four classes. Run all prelims on Sat nite. B-mains and features on Sunday like it used to be.The track is not destroyed from 10 hours of constant running.You cannot run 125 high horsepower cars on a dirt track like Saturday nite and not expect problems.It is that simple. Oh, I forgot, we can't run during the day anymore.A vampire mentality exists among promoters and fans for some reason. The track would be bad if we ran in the day. HMMM, seems this thread is about that very problem.It reminds me of a old hockey quote from a coach.We can't win on the road and we can't win at home, my only failure as coach is finding another place to play.I think day and night are our only alternatives.It seems Eldora has the dust problem to a greater degree than anywhere else. I don't know the last time completely new clay was put in,but that could be one of the major problems.It is never good when you see Parents taking out their children and leaving. Biggest 4-crown crowd in years and this happens. Not a way to grow fanbase.
Best idea I've heard yet...

9/26/16, 11:02 AM   #4
dsc1600

Running on Sundays won't work as well, people have to travel back home and relax before work starts Monday. Plus, what if it rains? There's plenty of room in the Friday night show for midget and silver crown hot laps and time trials. Perhaps even midget heats. That's probably your best bet.

6 members like this post: fish, flagboy55, jim goerge, motorhead748, ronmil, tirespinner
9/26/16, 11:17 AM   #5
Nut'n but Dirt

Get all haulers in the pits by 11:00. Start hot laps and qualifying at 1:00. Track prep after that. Heats and rest of program starting at 7:00.

9/26/16, 11:54 AM   #6
REH24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Friday night: Qualifying and heats
Saturday night: B's and A features

That's how Earl did it, and a fool he was not.
Initially I believe it was qualifying Friday, heat races Saturday, and features on Sunday. If I remember right Earl changed features to Saturday nights after Paige Jones accident due the track getting drying out and dusty conditions in the afternoons. Haven't been to 4-Crown for several years but when Johnny Vance and Earl started promoting the event it was our favorite week-end at Eldora. And as for those complaining about dusty conditions it was always that ways, still have googles in my RV that I would have to wear when at Eldora sitting in turn 4.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge, nathans1012, ronmil
9/26/16, 12:06 PM   #7
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by REH24 View Post
Initially I believe it was qualifying Friday, heat races Saturday, and features on Sunday. If I remember right Earl changed features to Saturday nights after Paige Jones accident due the track getting drying out and dusty conditions in the afternoons. Haven't been to 4-Crown for several years but when Johnny Vance and Earl started promoting the event it was our favorite week-end at Eldora. And as for those complaining about dusty conditions it was always that ways, still have googles in my RV that I would have to wear when at Eldora sitting in turn 4.
"Barney Google with the goo goo googly eyes"?
I have spare GOGGLES I lent to fans sitting nearby

9/26/16, 12:07 PM   #8
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Running on Sundays won't work as well, people have to travel back home and relax before work starts Monday. Plus, what if it rains? There's plenty of room in the Friday night show for midget and silver crown hot laps and time trials. Perhaps even midget heats. That's probably your best bet.
I wouldn't go for hot laps & TT
If they had heats too, I'd be there....

9/26/16, 4:24 PM   #9
kb78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut'n but Dirt View Post
Get all haulers in the pits by 11:00. Start hot laps and qualifying at 1:00. Track prep after that. Heats and rest of program starting at 7:00.
This is the Idea I like best, like I said, you can have your autograph session and other stuff in the afternoon while the track is getting reworked. Sundays are a bad Idea and so is splitting the show.

6 members like this post: billw, BrentTFunk, bullring fan, Jbaldwin, R.Drang, tirespinner
9/26/16, 4:53 PM   #10
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Qualify midgets and Crown cars Friday and the Crown Semi if necessary. Keep WoO and Stock cars on card.
Saturday you only have to qualify two classes.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora format change