IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair?
10/12/11, 3:32 PM   #1
Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair?
treecitytornado

This question is to a driver or car owner only. A legitimate question, just wandering what all of you think about Kokomo wanting a $20 entry fee or $30 the day of the race plus a $30 pit pass?

It pays $2011 to win and $190 to start. Putnamville paid $2000 to win and $200 to start for several weeks with no entry and Lawrenceburg pays $1500 to win and $225 to start every week with no entry.

Be respectful! I think an entry for that kind of payout isn't right, but what do you think?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

10/12/11, 4:09 PM   #2
Re: Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair
WBR 3E

No opinion on fair or not, just some numbers to think about. According to the payout on the Kokomo Web site, total purse is $7906. The Web also indicates the $30 pit pass will be charged both Friday and Saturday. If the race attracts 30 sprint cars, and everyone pays entry the day of the event the track collects $900. If you assume 3.5 pit passes per car entered, $3150 is collected each night, for a total backgate over the two days of $6300 - add in the entry of $900 and the track covers $7100 of the $7906 purse (minus insurance costs). Late season races are risky for the promoter, given weather, football, etc., covering the purse by the backgate and entry minimizes the risk and seems to be the norm.

10/12/11, 4:14 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

J T, will you be there? If yes, good luck. If no, why do you care?

10/12/11, 4:57 PM   #4
rg1

Mr. Stapp,

If you have a question about the speedway why would you not speak directly with the owners about the subject? When you requested favors from the speedway this season you did not seem have a problem calling them at that point...

10/12/11, 5:03 PM   #5
DonMoore10

First of all, thanks to Tornado for pointing out that there is an entry fee. And we should be thankful that midgets are still being presented at Kokomo Speedway.... BUT..... It appears to me that there is a hide and seek deal, "I gotcha" going on. This is October 12 and I just read a post on here about the Kokomo Klash that was written and posted this afternoon from "Jill" and I assume she has something to do with Kokomo Speedway. A lot of details but no mention of an entry fee.... Hm. OK.. I went to the Kokomo Web site. No mention of entry fees on the home page blurb about the Klash. So you have to click "more info" to find out about the Klash. Is this for fans or owners? Doesn't say. So you need to click AGAIN for an entry blank. Now I see that the deadline is October 13 and the mailing address is not in Kokomo, IN. Hm... again. Would have been nice if the promoters had mentioned something about entry fees a few days ago so we had time to deal with this or is this some kind of ploy to get more money after a deadline. And apparently they don't check their US mailbox in Kokomo because the last time I raced there my entry fee/registration was still in the mailbox at the track. Hm... again. And BTW, a few years back I tried to get in touch with ANYONE who had anything to do with Kokomo Speedway. That;s another wild goose chase that I'm not going to go into. I think contacting the Pope in Rome may be easier. My race team has entered other USAC D1 midget events and there was no added fee on the day of the show... Montpelier and Columbus for example.

3 members like this post: jdull99, mtek56, Russ
10/12/11, 5:31 PM   #6
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Can we just go race and enjoy one of the best tracks in the country. We all have a few months to build are budget back up since this is most likely the last race unless u go out west. Now let's go Friday and watch some of the best racing around.20 or 30$ won't break you and if it does. Don't even go.
Posted via Mobile Device

10/12/11, 6:17 PM   #7
triplexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
This question is to a driver or car owner only. A legitimate question, just wandering what all of you think about Kokomo wanting a $20 entry fee or $30 the day of the race plus a $30 pit pass?

It pays $2011 to win and $190 to start. Putnamville paid $2000 to win and $200 to start for several weeks with no entry and Lawrenceburg pays $1500 to win and $225 to start every week with no entry.

Be respectful! I think an entry for that kind of payout isn't right, but what do you think?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
It really seems all the complaining come from the same people all the time.J.T. you seem to have an opinion about everything and you don't even race that much.We get one more chance to race at a great race track for the last time this year.If you don't want to pay then don't show up.

Brian Cripe

10/12/11, 6:20 PM   #8
dirtracer74

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
Can we just go race and enjoy one of the best tracks in the country. We all have a few months to build are budget back up since this is most likely the last race unless u go out west. Now let's go Friday and watch some of the best racing around.20 or 30$ won't break you and if it does. Don't even go.
Posted via Mobile Device
IMO, this is part of the problem. If we give them $30 this year, maybe they will try $50 next year. Having wrenched on dirt late models the last few years, I can tell you that some of the entry fees they pay are huge. We did a $4000 to win race in KY that had a $150 entry fee. There are events that have $200 entry fees. Plus they still get pit passes, some I have seen as high as $60.00 per person, per night! But, the late model teams continue to hand it over, so why would the track do anything any different? I am all for the tracks coming out ahead, but back gate promoting is something I will not support.

2 members like this post: jdull99, SPRINTCAR
10/12/11, 6:21 PM   #9
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
This question is to a driver or car owner only.
I didn't know so many race fans on IOW also were drivers and owners. And now we have another person suggesting that we stay home. Sounds like a great solution to dwindling car counts. You people have no idea what it takes to run a race team. And furthermore, several of you apparently flunked reading comprehension.

5 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, Kansasdirtfan, MWestfallfan54, Russ, scooter99
10/12/11, 7:04 PM   #10
Duane Hancock

It was the same entry fee the past 2 Kokomo Klash events, so nothing new. Plus, it has been posted since AT LEAST early September on their website about the entry fee. For the first 2 to 3 weeks it was posted it had all the rules, purse and fees only on it, no start times or waht day what was or anything...so the info has been there and shouldnt be a surprise to anyone thats been to the Klash before....and yes the promotion team that runs the track is not from Kokomo....

2 members like this post: 24midgets, jim goerge
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is the Kokomo Klash Sprint entry fee fair?