Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ballou vs Stewart
9/24/18, 12:33 PM   #41
Re: Ballou vs Stewart
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Hightower View Post
Calling Ballou "one of the best ever" is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. The best ever drove and won on every type of track surface and condition. I liked his hammer down style when he came on the scene, and still has at certain tracks. But, he sure can't run dry slick, use patience, and isn't what I'd call "smooth" by any stretch. He definitely isn't bigger than Eldora, or the races that happen there, or the people that show up to watch the racing there, and will come with or without Robert. I'm pretty certain The Big E will survive without Ballou. Simple, if all you want to do is cry, complain, call out people, and don't run worth a sh*it at certain joints, then stay home. I liked the racing fine, and that's probably the best Silver Crown race I've seen. Ballou wouldn't know, he wasn't in it. Hopefully he enjoyed watching as much as I did.
Except he has won at every type of track and surface and won a USAC championship, Is in double digits in USAC wins, Has won Eldora several times, I've even seen him come from the tail to top three before breaking there.

There are dozens of track champions, Multi time champions etc that raced tons of USAC sprint races and have ZERO or single digit USAC Wins. It's a different level, and to beat em at your home track is a major accomplishment, To beat em not at your home track, Nearly impossible.

I think he's a hell of a racer, Generally a good guy and means well.
I've said a dozen times I hate his bashing tracks and promoters, It's not good for the sport. Everyone else was on the same track. They also had the choice not to race.

Second year in a row he "Called out Smoke" on track conditions. Last year I agreed, It was dustbowl with no cushion that probably got drivers hurt until it eventually blew off. This year I don't. It was classic Eldora, He who runs highest, wins.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/24/18 at 12:52 PM.

9/24/18, 12:37 PM   #42
7horse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamati View Post
I guess winning a usac sprint championship does not make you one of the best, Then I don't know what does.
And second most wins in a season ever, and sweeping the eastern storm

9/24/18, 12:58 PM   #43
Chase Hightower

To me, it's simple. It's not whether I agree, or you agree with me on how good he is? It's about the fact of crying and complaining. I look at it like this. Eldora or any other race track in the country is owned by someone. That is their facility to run and operate how they see fit. Ballou has complained about several surfaces, not only Eldora. That is also his right to do. However Tony owns that track, it's his stage, his game, his preparation. Any driver, owner, or fan, (individually) is a small part of what occurs there. If you're that unhappy with it, then comment or accuse an owner, track, promoter, or track prep of attempting to get someone killed.... Then sit your a*s at home. I don't care if Ballou or any other driver doesn't go to race at any facility, for any reason they deem necessary. And I agree that he is a good driver, one I love watching where he can ramrod a car and make banzai passes. But, no in my opinion, winning 1 USAC championship doesn't make you one of the "best ever." Like I end several of my posts with, we're all entitled to our opinions. Mine sure doesn't make me correct.

9/24/18, 1:11 PM   #44
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Didn't Tony get in a fight with a promoter in Austrailia or something?
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsp...122-1a0jf.html

Two hard heads, This one is.

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, jim goerge, PIT CART
9/24/18, 1:29 PM   #45
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

As Kenny Chesney and my good friend Rick (I love Dirt track racing) say, can’t we all just get along?

9/24/18, 1:41 PM   #46
Cage Faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatziff View Post
Another part
I must say this is disappointing, Eldora is the hub of ALL dirt racing and I've always been a Stewart fan going back to the 90's. I hope in a few days things will cool off and things can get worked out, but I'm siding with Ballou on this. I like slick tracks, but if the professionals are saying their is an issue, it may behoove Eldora/Stewart to be more customer service oriented. Having said that I havent liked the rules they implemented in recent years and if his attitude stays sucky towards Ballou and those who agree with him, I have no issue NEVER going to Eldora ever again. Lots of tracks in this country and Eldora can be replaced, just like any business or track. Don't need BS attitude from promoter either.

5 members like this post: captrat, EPSpeed, flagboy55, jim goerge, trannyman
9/24/18, 1:56 PM   #47
Cage Faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamati View Post
I guess winning a usac sprint championship does not make you one of the best, Then I don't know what does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55fan View Post
I simply prefer the smaller tracks. I don't like seeing anyone getting hurt or killed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Except he has won at every type of track and surface and won a USAC championship, Is in double digits in USAC wins, Has won Eldora several times, I've even seen him come from the tail to top three before breaking there.

There are dozens of track champions, Multi time champions etc that raced tons of USAC sprint races and have ZERO or single digit USAC Wins. It's a different level, and to beat em at your home track is a major accomplishment, To beat em not at your home track, Nearly impossible.

I think he's a hell of a racer, Generally a good guy and means well.
I've said a dozen times I hate his bashing tracks and promoters, It's not good for the sport. Everyone else was on the same track. They also had the choice not to race.

Second year in a row he "Called out Smoke" on track conditions. Last year I agreed, It was dustbowl with no cushion that probably got drivers hurt until it eventually blew off. This year I don't. It was classic Eldora, He who runs highest, wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7horse View Post
And second most wins in a season ever, and sweeping the eastern storm
Exactly. From my perspective, at home on the couch in Georgia watching high lights on youtube the racing looked good, but the lack of or nearness of the cushion to the wall seemed treacherous and I wasn't surprised when it grabbed a few guys. But since I wasn't there racing I can't say if the track was good or not. My argument would be that Smoke would be wise to try and be more attentive to what racers say, even if he doesn't agree with them, without posting on social media not to ever come back. To say the track could not have been better just isn't true. Did it look pretty good? Yes. But what would it hurt to be more diplomatic instead insulted and knee jerky with his response.

4 members like this post: captrat, flagboy55, Hotrod, jim goerge
9/24/18, 2:28 PM   #48
Cage Faraday

Updates: Ballou follows up posts with mature response.
Attached Images
BALLOU.jpg (317.8 KB, 320 views)

9/24/18, 2:38 PM   #49
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Last edited by GYATK94; 2/22/23 at 11:57 AM.

2 members like this post: Kydehart, Simon_says17
9/24/18, 2:39 PM   #50
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman92 View Post
as kenny chesney and my good friend rick (i love dirt track racing) say, can’t we all just get along?
no !

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, dirt330, wildman92
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ballou vs Stewart