IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Low car counts in pavement sprints
10/8/09, 5:21 PM   #51
Re: Low car counts in pavement sprints
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevracer58 View Post
duke, i respectfully disagree; the jury is still out on combo cars. There are plenty of people who have only dirt and some only have asphalt cars. I honestly think that as the economy improves and if usac can get the paved races on national live tv, crowds and car counts for asphalt racing will return. The best racing i saw all season was one may evening at mount lawn, and if there were 50 people in the stands i would have been shocked.
all you have to do is make a spec car rule and build a frame! We only had one car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WAY ITS GOING ITS OVER!!!!!!!! USAC WILL NOT HAVE ANY SPRINTS CARS ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by SUPERDUKE; 10/8/09 at 5:33 PM.

10/8/09, 6:43 PM   #52
wbr

Duke, I respectfully disagree on the combo car concept. I don't see where everyone that has a chassis being made to buy a new combo chassis would add to anything but more people storing their cars and staying home. i.e. Silver Crown Series pavement 2006.
"One who doesn't know and understand history is destined to repeat it."

I wish USAC would wake up and understand that its the pavement races that make them so special and unique. I know of no other open wheel series that competes on both dirt and pavement for one single championship. I know most of the people on this forum are dirt racing fans, but without pavement USAC Sprints are the same as WoO, MSCS, ASCS etc. Just another series, nothing special or great.

1 member likes this post:
10/8/09, 7:28 PM   #53
Need For Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbr View Post
Duke, I respectfully disagree on the combo car concept. I don't see where everyone that has a chassis being made to buy a new combo chassis would add to anything but more people storing their cars and staying home. i.e. Silver Crown Series pavement 2006.
"One who doesn't know and understand history is destined to repeat it."
Regarding the yellow text.

You do understand who Duke is....right?

He was a part of the history that you claim didn't work, but during those times, it worked fine...'combo cars' as you call them, and tires that could be run all day. Plus the guys that ran USAC dirt and pavement, were the guys running at INDY.

Today, there is the specialized cars (that are parked), and the over priced/non lasting tires...and look at the car counts. How many of todays active USAC drivers have had a ride in the IRL?

2 members like this post: SUPERDUKE
10/8/09, 7:53 PM   #54
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
all you have to do is make a spec car rule and build a frame! We only had one car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WAY ITS GOING ITS OVER!!!!!!!! USAC WILL NOT HAVE ANY SPRINTS CARS ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in your corner. It's not that I don't see the other's point of view either. But to me specialized cars are what you do when you have too many cars and too much money, relatively speaking. Cup cars are outrageously expensive and before the CoT they had cars for individual tracks in some cases. I don't remember the last time they didn't start 43 cars. When pavement sprints get to the point that everyone that shows up doesn't make the main, then I'll quit worrying about their car count.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
10/8/09, 8:31 PM   #55
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbr View Post
duke, i respectfully disagree on the combo car concept. I don't see where everyone that has a chassis being made to buy a new combo chassis would add to anything but more people storing their cars and staying home. I.e. Silver crown series pavement 2006.
"one who doesn't know and understand history is destined to repeat it."

i wish usac would wake up and understand that its the pavement races that make them so special and unique. I know of no other open wheel series that competes on both dirt and pavement for one single championship. I know most of the people on this forum are dirt racing fans, but without pavement usac sprints are the same as woo, mscs, ascs etc. Just another series, nothing special or great.
in 1981 i ran a shore dirt car in the pocono 500 along with bout14 other dirt cars!!!!!!! Where was you at?

10/8/09, 9:04 PM   #56
JBX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevracer58 View Post
Duke, I respectfully disagree; the jury is still out on combo cars. There are plenty of people who have only dirt and some only have asphalt cars. I honestly think that as the economy improves and if USAC can get the paved races on national live TV, crowds and car counts for asphalt racing will return. The best racing I saw all season was one May evening at Mount Lawn, and if there were 50 people in the stands I would have been shocked.

Hey Kev -

Good post - Something to think about...

IMO - For USAC - a national series (this may be debatable to some) - that is striving & landing national live TV coverage makes total sense. But, I'm sure the folks at USAC would tell you how tough that is on a national scope. SO many racing & entertainment choices are out there to program from texas hold 'em tournaments to cheerleading competitions and even to ultimate fighter bouts! Heck, I think I saw the nat'l spelling bee on ESPN2!

I say this because I'm not totally convinced that that national live TV route is the most effective tactic. Not sure at all that it would add more spectators. Higher car counts, absolutely. But, I'm not sure that you could convince the networks of a consistent fan following. It's nothing personal - I just don't think so. And, simply put, proving a consistent fan base to a network means good ratings. Without that, networks aren't interested.

So where are we, then?

-- I really think the ONLY way to get consistently higher car counts is to swallow some pride & ego; back up; and work together - owners, teams, drivers, promoters, & sponsors - on a smaller scale FIRST and find ways for EVERYONE TO BENEFIT somehow.

Maybe this is a pipe-dream and stated overly-simplistic. But, I really don't think so.
There are tons of ideas out there with many already that have been used or being used.
BUT, few ideas encompass EVERYONE together. If we don't, we're doomed to repeat the same ole thing.

(Can you tell I miss it, KB? Maybe, it's time again? :2::2
Have a good night, all,

Jimmy Baumgartner

10/8/09, 9:04 PM   #57
Honest-Sam

Didn't some folks have to load up and go home in USAC Silver Crown Racing(pre spec car, now gold crown)?

10/8/09, 9:37 PM   #58
short track scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
in 1981 i ran a shore dirt car in the pocono 500 along with bout14 other dirt cars!!!!!!! Where was you at?
Didn't Jeff Bloom run a roadster in that show too? Up to about 9th or 7th? Before something put him out...
Posted via Mobile Device

10/8/09, 9:38 PM   #59
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

I owned a pavement car way back in 94 and believe me we were the lowest budget team that ran all the races. I bought an $7000 used pavement roller (former USAC points champion car) and the driver supplied the motor. In that year between buying the car, getting to and from the track, fuel and tires I spent 50 grand out of pocket. That does not include prize money put back into the car. We did one open test at the beginning of the year and that was it for testing. My tire bill was a grand or more every night. BTW, I didn't own a pavement car after 94.

If you are not racing for USAC points it is just too expensive to field a pavement car.

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

2 members like this post: SUPERDUKE
10/8/09, 9:55 PM   #60
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by short track scott View Post
didn't jeff bloom run a roadster in that show too? Up to about 9th or 7th? Before something put him out...
posted via mobile device
no roadsters all rear engine indy cars and dirt cars! Aj foyt last 500 win!

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Low car counts in pavement sprints